2024 Offseason Free Agency

swede700

1 hour ago, battle2heaven said:

Meh, I dunno. I thnk they're fine right now. 

Frankly, I don't see any available free agents that are going to provide an upgrade anywhere for a reasoable salary. Michael Thomas, maybe as a possession #3? But that's a "maybe" at this stage of his career. Plus he's not a great team guy. D-line is where I'd like to see them improve, but no one is out there that seems to be an upgrade on what we've got either. I think we're probably set with people who aren't camp bodies unless there is a cut made before the regular season. Even then, camp cuts from other teams aren't generally difference maker types.

1 hour ago, battle2heaven said:

Meh, I dunno. I thnk they're fine right now. 

It’s Jefferson and Addison, with Hock likely missing half the season. They definitely could use another player in the WR room. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Powell has only ever been a WR4, Nailor hasn't stayed healthy but seems talented and then we have not much beyond that. 

I would expect us to sign an outside FA WR here maybe by the time Training Camp hits.

I don't know why people are so down on Powell.  He really was clutch for the offense, especially when Jefferson was injured.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

Powell has only ever been a WR4, Nailor hasn't stayed healthy but seems talented and then we have not much beyond that. 

I would expect us to sign an outside FA WR here maybe by the time Training Camp hits.

None of the remaining free agent WRs have been anything special for several years. There are a few guys who were great years ago, some who were ok years ago, and guys who were there years ago. The first two groups will cost more than the current guys on the roster and probably won’t provide much of anything. Last year, Powell was as good, or better, than any WR left on the market. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

I don't know why people are so down on Powell.  He really was clutch for the offense, especially when Jefferson was injured.

yeah, i agree. and McCardell has worked wonders so far on training these guys up.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

None of the remaining free agent WRs have been anything special for several years. There are a few guys who were great years ago, some who were ok years ago, and guys who were there years ago. The first two groups will cost more than the current guys on the roster and probably won’t provide much of anything. Last year, Powell was as good, or better, than any WR left on the market. 

Powell is fine but that shouldn't stop us from looking at other options. 

That's not me being down on him. For an offense that is pass happy, I think having more options at WR is the best route to go. 

Do you think Keenan McCardell can work his magic on some of these other guys we have on the roster? Sherfield, Jones, James, Knowles etc...?

Edited by SteelKing728

40 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Renfrow played in all 17 games last season. He had 25 catches for 255 yards. Powell had 29 for 324. Why all the Renfrow love?

we are conditioned to always want new Christmas presents.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, vike daddy said:

eh. new guys have to learn a new system too. and it's a complex one.

One acquisition, suggested by The Viking Age’s Ryan Heckman, is for the Vikings to sign former Los Angeles Rams wide receiver Robert Woods.

On a two-year, $15.3 million deal with the Houston Texans, Woods is a roster-cut/trade candidate. The Texans landing Stefon Diggs to lead a loaded wide receivers room that features Tank Dell and Nico Collins may phase out Woods, who the Texans could part ways with and save a minimum of $5 million in cap space for the 2024 season.

“The Texans will likely part ways with veteran Robert Woods, who, at this point in his career, is the perfect candidate for this type of job behind Jefferson and Jordan Addison,” Heckman wrote in a June 5 article. “Whether the Texans find a trade partner or he ends up being released, the Vikings should be in on him.”

Woods played under Kevin O’Connell for two years in Los Angeles, including their 2021 Super Bowl championship season, before O’Connell left for the Vikings head coach position. Woods’ five years playing for Sean McVay would make him an ideal fit in O’Connell’s offense.

At 32 years old, Woods is in the twilight of his career. His production has declined, coming off 40 receptions for 426 yards receiving and a touchdown last year. However, that doesn’t mean he can’t thrive as the third wide receiver in the Vikings offense, especially considering his diverse skillset and the Vikings’ plans for the 2024 season.

https://heavy.com/sports/nfl/minnesota-vikings/robert-woods-houston-texans-news-rumors/?

Edited by vike daddy