Vrabel Gone

-Hope-

1 minute ago, deeluxx3 said:

I'm not saying this to be critical of Vrabel, I did always find it interesting how a true PRO/vet like Woodyard...who was (IIRC) a captain for us and played very well for us...didn't really seem to rock w/ Vrabel the way other vets did like Lewan (who honestly is starting to get as annoying as McAfee)

Yeah Woodyard has not been a fan of him for a while. 

1 minute ago, deeluxx3 said:

I'm not saying this to be critical of Vrabel, I did always find it interesting how a true PRO/vet like Woodyard...who was (IIRC) a captain for us and played very well for us...didn't really seem to rock w/ Vrabel the way other vets did like Lewan (who honestly is starting to get as annoying as McAfee)

yeah iirc woodyard was the one who first dished about vrabel taking over playcalling in the afc championship game and kinda pushing dean pees out- and that was years ago. right or wrong it seems he’s never really been a fan 

• Like 1

Sounds like a guy pissed off that Vrabel didn't want him around so he's making up nonsense about him.

If criticism of Vrabel as a person was common place I could buy it, but Woodyard is the only guy who has down talked him like that.

Like or dislike Vrabel's coaching abilities, what Woodyard says doesn't line up with what like every other player who has played under him has said.

Just now, TitanLegend said:

Sounds like a guy pissed off that Vrabel didn't want him around so he's making up nonsense about him.

If criticism of Vrabel as a person was common place I could buy it, but Woodyard is the only guy who has down talked him like that.

Like or dislike Vrabel's coaching abilities, what Woodyard says doesn't line up with what like every other player who has played under him has said.

i mean, it does though. lewan and compton have both said repeatedly that basically everyone hated vrabel his first year and he rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, but most eventually came around on him. woodyard is probably just one who didn't.

-Wood alluded to certain guys in locker room being like "Oh sh**, if we win the Super Bowl then Vrabel is only gonna get worse than he really is" when we made the AFCCG run

-Said Vrabel didn't realize that PLAYERS win games, insinuating Vrabel gave himself/coaches too much credit. Said a guy like Tomlin is opposite of that and that's why he's had the career/rep that he has

-Said Vrabel is/was a "me" guy

-Pees and Vrabel had some debate prior to Chiefs AFCCG game, Pees apologized to D prior to meeting about losing his cool. Vrabel bursted into room, interrupted Pees, and started getting into gameplan. Considered super disrespectful to Pees.

-Said Chiefs gameplan (Vrabel's plan) was too based in Cover 4, which put Butler in a bad spot and Mahomes was able to exploit

-About players who have succeeded elsewhere (Long, Reynolds, etc): Nothing changed in their game, message to locker room about Long being let go was a negative one. Long is a good pro/leader, but treated like he didn't earn his stripes. Guys may start feeling like they're all plug and play guys because Vrabel is some amazing coach

-Wood would give Vrabel an "A" grade for his time in TEN. He kept thing rolling and did a great job, but lost his sense of player-coach relationship. He can succeed elsewhere, would tell Vrabel that he couldn't do certain things like removing kids from locker rooms after games. A special moment was taken away, but Vrabel's kids were still allowed to come in. The locker room thing was VERY hurtful to players. Team grew together as a family (Wood, Rak, Casey, Morgan, Ryan), and Vrabel took that away

-Players rocked w/ Mularkey, he had underdog mentality. Vrabel was basically gifted an already established locker room. His approach would work better in our CURRENT locker room if he was coming in new.

-Vrabel trashed Mularkey in his first meeting, a "palms up" attitude. And removing a sense of entitlement from the team. Woodyard felt the only "entitled " players were established vets like Walker and Casey. OGs, so that was considered wack. Those are guys that earned stripes. Hurtful from Day 1 and not a lot of guys got over that.

-Felt Vrabel became what he talked about w/ "palms up" syndrome

-"Ran gets it". RC understands that players are needed to help turn things around. He's a real dude and understands that the history of the team is thanks to the players that built it. Wood can see that on the sideline, RC talks to UDFAs and the big dogs.

-Players want to play hard for RC. Wood thinks Callahan needs to work together w/ everyone. It's a young, hurt and unproven team. It'll take a village to turn this around

-Players noticed that Vrabel didn't respect/value how the PLAYERS make the culture, esp the vets. Even little things like getting out an hour early on a Friday. Players always got dogg'd. Vrabel went thru same struggles, but didn't bring that energy. He sucked it out. Overall he didn't have the right relationships w/ players across the board. Even as LB to LB...Wood didn't feel that Vrabel vibed, but he was more of a principal.

-Just cuz a guy doesn't fit "your" mold, but they still get the job done and don't make problems, doesn't mean they're not a good football player (ie Adoree)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

-Wood alluded to certain guys in locker room being like "Oh sh**, if we win the Super Bowl then Vrabel is only gonna get worse than he really is" when we made the AFCCG run

-Said Vrabel didn't realize that PLAYERS win games, insinuating Vrabel gave himself/coaches too much credit. Said a guy like Tomlin is opposite of that and that's why he's had the career/rep that he has

-Said Vrabel is/was a "me" guy

-Pees and Vrabel had some debate prior to Chiefs AFCCG game, Pees apologized to D prior to meeting about losing his cool. Vrabel bursted into room, interrupted Pees, and started getting into gameplan. Considered super disrespectful to Pees.

-Said Chiefs gameplan (Vrabel's plan) was too based in Cover 4, which put Butler in a bad spot and Mahomes was able to exploit

-About players who have succeeded elsewhere (Long, Reynolds, etc): Nothing changed in their game, message to locker room about Long being let go was a negative one. Long is a good pro/leader, but treated like he didn't earn his stripes. Guys may start feeling like they're all plug and play guys because Vrabel is some amazing coach

-Wood would give Vrabel an "A" grade for his time in TEN. He kept thing rolling and did a great job, but lost his sense of player-coach relationship. He can succeed elsewhere, would tell Vrabel that he couldn't do certain things like removing kids from locker rooms after games. A special moment was taken away, but Vrabel's kids were still allowed to come in. The locker room thing was VERY hurtful to players. Team grew together as a family (Wood, Rak, Casey, Morgan, Ryan), and Vrabel took that away

-Players rocked w/ Mularkey, he had underdog mentality. Vrabel was basically gifted an already established locker room. His approach would work better in our CURRENT locker room if he was coming in new.

-Vrabel trashed Mularkey in his first meeting, a "palms up" attitude. And removing a sense of entitlement from the team. Woodyard felt the only "entitled " players were established vets like Walker and Casey. OGs, so that was considered wack. Those are guys that earned stripes. Hurtful from Day 1 and not a lot of guys got over that.

-Felt Vrabel became what he talked about w/ "palms up" syndrome

-"Ran gets it". RC understands that players are needed to help turn things around. He's a real dude and understands that the history of the team is thanks to the players that built it. Wood can see that on the sideline, RC talks to UDFAs and the big dogs.

-Players want to play hard for RC. Wood thinks Callahan needs to work together w/ everyone. It's a young, hurt and unproven team. It'll take a village to turn this around

-Players noticed that Vrabel didn't respect/value how the PLAYERS make the culture, esp the vets. Even little things like getting out an hour early on a Friday. Players always got dogg'd. Vrabel went thru same struggles, but didn't bring that energy. He sucked it out. Overall he didn't have the right relationships w/ players across the board. Even as LB to LB...Wood didn't feel that Vrabel vibed, but he was more of a principal.

-Just cuz a guy doesn't fit "your" mold, but they still get the job done and don't make problems, doesn't mean they're not a good football player (ie Adoree)

tbh, i think a good amount of this is personal grievance that could differ widely in its perception from player to player. for example, lewan didn't like mularkey very much, but it sounds like woodyard and some of the more established guys did. ironically, woodyard being mad that vrabel split up the established group of vets sounds very much like lewan and henry now talking about the team moving on from guys, when the reality is in both cases these were aging players the team simply needed to move on from.

having said that, the stuff around pees is just crazy, man. upstaging your DC's authority is just terrible management, and the team paid dearly for it in 2020. with a real defensive coordinator + henry's 2k year that team could've been a legitimate powerhouse.

Edited by -Hope-

Sounds like Vrabel. Stubborn A hole. Nothing new. He just sounds like a certain kind of coach for better or worse. I thank him for what he did but clearly the relationship ran its course for much more than just his relationships in the locker room.

Just started listening and Woodyard says he knew he was part of a team that could win it. And goes on to say do we really want to win a Super Bowl cause then it would highlight Vrabel and keep him around. That's a **** mentality.

Are more players in the camp of Woodyard or in the camp of the Lewans and Comptons? I would probably say the latter.

It is what it is. I have moved on. Not going to live in the past on this one, I am super excited what direction we are headed in. Just get me studs that grind the gridiron, so we can talk more about them and less about coaches.

Edited by twotonebluenation
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

Def gotta take everything Wood said w/ a grain of salt

All that said...Vrabel's in the past now. Just like Wood. So who really cares.

When I first caught wind of Woodyard's hate of Vrabel, I believe we were either the #1 Seed or just got beat by Baltimore. 
I took it as ex player mad he got cut. I still do.

But it does give a more clear picture on what were some of Vrabel's problems. He had his guys, which we all kind of knew.

You loved or hated him. Which we kind of knew.
He could be kind of a prick, which we knew.

But majority of players played hard for him.  Blaine Bishop makes a good point on radio often. He felt that Vrabel's players didn't play freely because they were fearful.  Opposed to someone like Andy Reid where they play hard because of respect. Said the Respect will be more sustainable than playing with fear. 

• Like 3

Honestly, the first time I got the impression that he might start losing the locker room and that he may not be as cool of a guy to play for as it might appear from a distance was when he called Julio Jones out publicly after a week 1 loss.

A lot of what Wood said makes plenty of sense, to be honest. It's reassuring, knowing that we made the right move, and this franchise can start its healing process. I was always one of the few that would have had Robinson stay and let Vrabel go from the beginning. I understood some of the reasons behind why J Rob had to go when he did, though I might not have liked it. At least RC seems to get it. It's refreshing going in the direction we appear to be headed in, and it'll be very fun to watch if the two of them can stay on the same page, which frankly sounds very realistic.

Better times ahead, I assume.

And this is why being a "player's coach" should not be your coach's only positive trait.

There are gonna be people in the fanbase that will defend him until he's lost his next job, but the more time passes, the more vindicated I feel about not liking him from the jump.

He inherited a culture and team, and then squandered it. Utterly.

Let's move on to better things, like modern football. lol

2 hours ago, Kookie23 said:

And this is why being a "player's coach" should not be your coach's only positive trait.

There are gonna be people in the fanbase that will defend him until he's lost his next job, but the more time passes, the more vindicated I feel about not liking him from the jump.

He inherited a culture and team, and then squandered it. Utterly.

Let's move on to better things, like modern football. lol

He’s a leader of men 😆