2024 Titans HC Coaching Search

KingTitan

7 minutes ago, 615finest said:

From the videos I’ve seen he has that leader mentality to me. I can see why guys like him and would want to play for him.

Plus he’s a Bulldog and he gets my support for that alone 😂 #DGD #GoDawgs

And mainly I'm just bracing myself 🤣🤣

Finding all the good I can to not be disappointed in whoever the hire is. 

My updated head coach ranking based off guys who we have or are scheduled to interview

1)Brian Callahan

2)Bobby Slowik

3)Mike MacDonald

4)Thomas Brown

5)Aaron Glenn

It’s a large gap for me from the first 3 guys to everyone else. 

Edited by TitanSlim
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

And mainly I'm just bracing myself 🤣🤣

Finding all the good I can to not be disappointed in whoever the hire is. 

😂😂  facts but I’ve also made myself realize being a HC is more then what you do as an OC. Brown isn’t a bad OC by any stretch based on what I’ve seen but you gotta have the personality to make players want to run through a wall for you and I think he has that.

Callahan still #1 for me tho 

Edited by 615finest
  • Like 1

It makes even more sense why we wanted to get into the coaching search, seeing how long this process will take. 

We would have to FIND a trade partner after another team did virtual interviews, and in person interviews.

Then we'd have to follow that same process AFTER trading Vrabel. 

We'd be picking over the leftovers and then that guy would be picking leftovers for a staff. 

National media seems to forget that. 

18 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Hearing or seeing a lot of smoke that Aaron Glenn is really a strong possibility. 

Check out the comments starting at about the 1:00 mark. Sounds familiar.

I’d be more excited about Glenn if we didn’t just get rid of an established coach built in the same mold.

5 hours ago, TitanSlim said:

Check out the comments starting at about the 1:00 mark. Sounds familiar.

I’d be more excited about Glenn if we didn’t just get rid of an established coach built in the same mold.

I 1000% understand the idea around "Why fire Vrabel, just to hire another Vrabel?" I just think it's kind of an unfair thing to say, for lack of a better word. It's like those who said that Levis is just another Tannehill.

I think that the innate strengths of Vrabel and Glenn are similar...leader of men, meticulous, players generally like/love him, hard-nosed, looks to establish a culture. I do think, though, that those are strengths that ANYONE would look for in a head coach. Whether you're Sean McVay or Bill Belichick. These are qualities I have more faith in Glenn bringing than a Slowik or Johnson at this point in their respective careers.

I think Vrabel's downfall were his roster management, injuries, coaching hires, approach to offense, and ego. We have no idea how Glenn would approach those kinds of things. He could be the exact opposite to Vrabel in these types of things for all we know.

Glenn is not my top choice, nor would I be particularly excited about the hire. I totally "see it", though. He's likely going to be a head coach one day. Demeco Ryans and Robert Saleh were both considered home run hires even as defensive coaches, and while I know their respective units were elite while Glenn has never coached even a "very good" unit, I see the same types of qualities in Glenn as I do Ryans/Saleh (although I don't think much of Saleh as HC, but he's in a horrible situation). Someone posted a puff piece on Glenn earlier, and it mentioned how he's had to coach thru scheme changes, big personnel changes, etc. That D isn't stocked with talent and, end of the day, players play hard for him and they're in the divisional round of the playoffs.

All that said, I think I'm pretty locked in on Callahan as my number 1. Went down some twitter rabbit holes on him, as well, and read that he and Liam Cohen are apparently pretty tight. Callahan seems, like Glenn, very ready to be a HC and I am ready for an offensive-minded HC.

On the note of offense/Glenn, though...what I do find solace in is that he's spent most of his career working under Sean Payton and Dan Campbell. One can hope/assume that Glenn is aware that scoring over 20 PPG is important.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, deeluxx3 said:

I 1000% understand the idea around "Why fire Vrabel, just to hire another Vrabel?" I just think it's kind of an unfair thing to say, for lack of a better word. It's like those who said that Levis is just another Tannehill.

I think that the innate strengths of Vrabel and Glenn are similar...leader of men, meticulous, players generally like/love him, hard-nosed, looks to establish a culture. I do think, though, that those are strengths that ANYONE would look for in a head coach. Whether you're Sean McVay or Bill Belichick. These are qualities I have more faith in Glenn bringing than a Slowik or Johnson at this point in their respective careers.

I think Vrabel's downfall were his roster management, injuries, coaching hires, approach to offense, and ego. We have no idea how Glenn would approach those kinds of things. He could be the exact opposite to Vrabel in these types of things for all we know.

Glenn is not my top choice, nor would I be particularly excited about the hire. I totally "see it", though. He's likely going to be a head coach one day. Demeco Ryans and Robert Saleh were both considered home run hires even as defensive coaches, and while I know their respective units were elite while Glenn has never coached even a "very good" unit, I see the same types of qualities in Glenn as I do Ryans/Saleh (although I don't think much of Saleh as HC, but he's in a horrible situation). Someone posted a puff piece on Glenn earlier, and it mentioned how he's had to coach thru scheme changes, big personnel changes, etc. That D isn't stocked with talent and, end of the day, players play hard for him and they're in the divisional round of the playoffs.

All that said, I think I'm pretty locked in on Callahan as my number 1. Went down some twitter rabbit holes on him, as well, and read that he and Liam Cohen are apparently pretty tight. Callahan seems, like Glenn, very ready to be a HC and I am ready for an offensive-minded HC.

On the note of offense/Glenn, though...what I do find solace in is that he's spent most of his career working under Sean Payton and Dan Campbell. One can hope/assume that Glenn is aware that scoring over 20 PPG is important.

This is a great post. Something I was actually thinking about and been asking myself lately is what if a more collaborative, non stubborn Vrabel type coach is exactly what this franchise needs. 

So recently, I’ve been on different teams Reddit to see what fans are saying about the top candidates we’re looking at. I think that’s where you can get an idea (good or bad) of how fans feel about their coach. One of the more interesting comments said by many Lions fans is that they feel Aaron Glenn will not only be a better head coach than DC, many think he’ll be a better head coach than Ben Johnson. The constant praise for his leadership, his ability to connect with players, how he was a big part in rebuild and culture building for the Lions. All these things are hard to ignore.

Like you, I still wouldn’t necessarily be excited about Glenn if he’s the guy but I’m way more open about it than I was just a few days ago. Like any coach, but especially a defensive/CEO/leader of men type, who he gets for his coaching staff will be vital. The thing I constantly have to remind myself is that it takes more to being a great head coach than being a great playcaller as a coordinator.

• Like 2

i think callahan's still my guy. he appears to be the best available combination of leadership/relationship-building skills and Xs and Os stuff. that interview KT posted with the bengals radio guy was pretty fascinating, especially the bit about how the bengals were so shotgun-heavy with joe burrow essentially because burrow doesn't love turning his back to the defense running play-action out of center. one of my biggest concerns with the bengals offense is precisely that they run almost everything out of shotgun, but apparently they started running way more stuff under center when browning had to come in, were way more reliant on play-action etc, and much of that was callahan's doing. it makes me feel like he'd really be able to find the stuff levis can do well and lean on that. and everyone from in and around the bengals can't seem to stop singing callahan's praises as a person/leader as well.

• Like 2

I've decided I'd be happy with any of the offensive coaches except for probably Kafka. I just don't think he's the guy. I'd probably say my top choice is Callahan the more time I've had to process everything. I think he brings more of a steadiness and a proven longevity of success as an NFL coach than most of the other guys. He's worked with countless top QBs (Manning, Stafford, Carr, Burrow). On a whim he had to go from working with Burrow at the helm of his offense to Jake Browning and helped Browning look like a competent starter.

Then you add in the stories you hear about him being huge on in game adjustments and knowing your own team's tendencies, so that you can break them at different points in a game and leave a defense on their heels. Plus, I think with his experience in the league he'd be able to build the best and most complete staff around him. Add in that his dad is one of the best OLine coaches of all time and could possibly come with him, and that's the cherry on top. 

There's just so much to like about Callahan as you start to dive into him more as the potential head guy. I think he's the best fit for where we're at right now, and I think he'd definitely bring our offense into the 21st century.

I was and still am high on Slowik. He's a great playcaller, and has a great offensive scheme, but outside of that what is he bringing as the head coach? What does his staff around him look like? Who does he bring in as the DC? Is he a culture builder and a leader? The playcalling and scheme only take you so far when you hit a rough stretch during the season. How do you keep guys bought in and not pointing fingers at each other ala Philadelphia?

• Like 2

I'll be in the minority and say I really don't think I want Johnson or Slowik. 

1. Callahan

2. Glenn

3. Brown

This is me feeling like this team needs more than just a play caller. They need someone that will unite and lead. 

We aren't broken, but the next guy has to come in and be able to get an entire franchise rowing the same way. 

All those guys seem to speak that language. 

MacDonald I know nothing about despite my research. I think it's about more than if your unit was productive. 

Like was said earlier, the Lions aren't stacked with talent. They actually are a blueprint on building. Each year they have drafted an impact player on the defense in the first. 

Hutchinson one year. Campbell the next. I'm willing to bet $1000 that they draft a DB in the draft this year. That defense is top against the run too. 

And truthfully I don't want a 85 bears defense. Be nice. But we just need a defense that can make a stop or two while our offense scores 28-30 points lol . 

• Like 1