The Unpopular Opinion Thread

Hey guys,

As our season ends, it brings us to an eventful offseason whether the future will take its first steps towards being shaped. New F.O. staff, New Head Coach, plenty of cap space, some really good draft capital and some important roster decisions lie ahead. 

The idea for this thread stems from a lot of unpopular opinions that I have and some that I see circulating around the forum. This wouldn't be the thread for a suggestion to re-sign Kamren Curl as the majority of us would probably advocate for that. This would however be the thread for something along the lines of, we should trade for Justin Fields, if you felt strongly enough to attach your name to the thought

So I invite anyone to tell us how you really feel about players, roster moves or hires you love, hate or covet strongly enough that you believe would be unpopular amongst our ranks. 

I'll start...

Unpopular Opinion: There isn't a single QB in this draft worth selecting in the first round. I see this draft much closer to the Kenny Pickett draft of 2022 rather than the 2004 class that yielded Ben Roethlisberger, Eli Manning and Philip Rivers.

• Like 2

Unpopular Opinion: This team should sign a veteran FA QB (Kirk Cousins anyone!?) or roll with Sam Howell, while simultaneously drafting Offensive Lineman with their first two picks (or 2 of the top 3). 

• Like 2

I am not opposed to keeping Tavita Pritchard as a bridge QB coach for the next regime, especially if we decide to forgo QB in the draft this year.  Something that like @Slappy McI am not opposed to doing either.  

Conversely, while our corners have often been trash, I love the work that Richard Rodgers did with safeties and would love him back on the next staff if they want to keep him.  It is always good to have 1-2 coaches who stick around who can help the transition.  

If we decide to do a year similar to The Process, where we roll our cap over to next year and continue to churn the roster, I am 110% in favor of that.  I want this done right, and seeing a rebuild done right with the Orioles, I have already advocated for this on this board and in other places.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Unpopular Opinion: There isn't a single QB in this draft worth selecting in the first round. I see this draft much closer to the Kenny Pickett draft of 2022 rather than the 2004 class that yielded Ben Roethlisberger, Eli Manning and Philip Rivers.

Going for the juggular of unpopular from the start! Gonna be hard to top that lol. 

• Like 5

Unpopular Opinion: There's talent with Jahan Dotson. He's got a chance to be pretty darn good still. 

Unpopular Opinion: I think we need to draft an edge rusher before we take an offensive lineman. 

• Like 3

Unpopular Opinions -

Caleb Williams will be an egomaniac bust.

Drake Maye is bigger version of Sam Howell and didn't want many big games this year. His decision-making is questionable. 

No one asks why a rookie QB was good for the first half of the year and not the second half, which is really really odd, yes?

Sam Howell will go on to be a version of Kirk Cousins, just not as greedy as Kirk. Remember he said he would return money if the team didn't do well or he didn't perform? Maybe Baker Mayfield or Minshew, both of whom win games. 

We should trade back. 

BTW... these are just hunches. I wouldn't bet my farm on any of it happening. As a matter of fact, if I'm the new GM, I'm taking one of those two QBs because, well, you can't pass up on the opportunity. 

• Like 2