My First Mock of the Year

MKnight82

We don't know the set draft order yet, but I'm guessing we'll at least beat the Giants and end up somewhere in the 10-15 range in the first round.  

Round 1 - OLB Arden Key, LSU

- Key had a down year this year, struggling with injuries and only playing in 8 games for LSU.  He finished with 4 sacks and 33 tackles on the season, which was a big disappointment after his 12 sack Sophomore campaign.  He's a fantastic athlete though, at a 6'6" 250 lbs is an ideal fit for a 3-4 OLB.  He's played against elite competition in college and should be an elite edge rusher at the next level.  If Key could have declared last year he would likely have been a top 5 overall pick.  He'd finally give us a legitimate edge rusher opposite of Kerrigan.  

Round 2 - RB Nick Chubb, Georgia

- This is a pretty deep RB class and I think some have a chance to slip to the 2nd round.  Chubb is a great workhorse back and has had great success against top competition in the SEC.  He's had some injury history, specifically a nasty ACL tear in the past, but he seems fully recovered from that.  Some downsides though, he's a Senior so he's definitely taken some wear and tear in college.  He also is another player who is probably not as highly rated as he was projected in the preseason.  Still, he's a guy we can feed the ball to 20+ times per game, and a great pairing with Chris Thompson.  

Round 3 - DE/DT Andrew Brown, UVA

- Brown was an amazingly frustrating player for Virginia.  He's 6'4" 280 lbs, and moves much faster than any big man should off the line.  But he plays lazy and with poor technique.  Coming out of High School, Brown was one of the top prospects of any position in the country.  He then got stuck playing for a UVA program without the coaching to develop such a talent.  He's a huge boom/bust talent, but projects as a future starter as a 3-4 DE.  

Round 4 - OG Maea Teuhema, Southern Louisiana 

- He started two years at Guard for LSU before being suspended indefinitely for violating team rules.  He finished out his college career at Southern Louisiana where he proved himself to be a road grader.  He's 6'4" 315 lbs with room to add more weight.  Would be a good LG prospect to groom.  

Round 5 - NT Kahlil McKenzie Jr, Tennessee

- McKenzie hasn't declared yet, and he might not go pro this year (he's the son of former Raiders player/GM Reggie McKenzie so his family isn't hurting for money).  He's a legitimate force at NT with 6'3" 335 lbs.  The problem is he's struggled with injuries in his career.  He's also just a 2-down traditional NT, so that's why I could see him slipping to the 5th round.  

Round 6 - WR J'Mon Moore, Missouri

- This guy has had back to back 1,000 yard receiving seasons in the SEC and is getting no love in mocks.  I've seen him consistently projected in the 6th round.  Highly productive with good size, he'd be a good addition to the roster.  

Round 7 - QB Nic Shimonek, Texas Tech

- He only got to start one season because he was stuck behind Patrick Mahomes, but has has a good arm and the ability to make all the throws in the NFL.  He struggled at times, and with his team's record not the best he was temporarily bench as the coach was looking to get playing time for a Sophomore QB on the roster, but he came inf off the bench and saved Texas Tech's season by throwing a game winning TD against rival Texas.  He's probably a practice squad player at first that could develop into a solid backup.  

We have 2  7th rounders btw. 

It’s not bad. I am not a fan of Chubb. I like Key, but I think he is going to slip. Right now we pick at 11 and if Guice is on the board, I would take him. 

If Kirk ends up leaving, grabbing a QB is going to be a priority. No free agents really make me say that’s who I want. 

And I only like 2 in this draft in the 1st round. 

I’m not trying to be a bet sayer as nobody can predict injuries, that said I don’t see how a team who has had the trouble with injuries we have should spend their top 2 picks on players who have had issues with injuries. I’ve let injuries go in my scouting in the past but with the issues we have staying healthy it is a huge concern for me going forward because we have no luck!!!

That negative out the way I like the positions and a lot of the picks Knight good job I just man the injuries this year I just feel like we here are debating things about our coach and our roster we shouldn’t have too because I think this team is so much better then this season has allowed.

45 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

I’m not trying to be a bet sayer as nobody can predict injuries, that said I don’t see how a team who has had the trouble with injuries we have should spend their top 2 picks on players who have had issues with injuries. I’ve let injuries go in my scouting in the past but with the issues we have staying healthy it is a huge concern for me going forward because we have no luck!!!

Ya but those two guys are elite talents.

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

If we're going DL I'd rather we went with Vea or Payne. We absolutely have to have a cog in the middle of the defense. 

I know we need a NT, but in the modern nfl I don’t think taking one in the first round is worth it.  

I don’t hate it, but I just really would not like to go OLB high again. We keep drafting OLBs high, we need to at least give it one more year with these young guys before drafting their replacement IMO. I’d also re-sign Murphy on the cheap.

Is McKenzie really a good option at NT? I don’t know much about him but for his size but on drafttek they have him as a 3-technique and not a one-technique. I’ll have to do more searching about that but it’s possible that McKenzie is like Stacy McGee, a big guy who likes to play like a small guy. I don’t know this for sure, but I just get that feeling because Drafttek doesn’t list him as a one-technique.

Also, my question about Chub to people that have seen him a lot is, is he just a little better version of Perine? 

If so, I’m not interested. I think Perine is a starting back in this league but we need a guy whos a cross between he and Thompson. We need a mid round pick who’s faster and shiftier than Perine but that guy doesn’t have to be a Quick and shifty as Thompson. 

I’d much rather get an ILB in round 1 or 2 or a WR or NT. I’m personally quite tired of hearing people complain about our run D every year but then in the offseason not willing to draft one of the best NT’s in round 1 or 2. The OL & DL are extremely important and if we truly want to have a great D it’s beyond time to invest in a run stuffer in round 1 or 2.

Allen, Payne & Ioannidis would be a tremendous starting DL for now and the future. 

The OLBs we have now aren’t elite but they are good players and the young guys we have haven’t reached their potential yet. 

Of course, I see your argument also that passing up on an elite pass rusher for a NT could be a mistake in the long run. 

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I don’t hate it, but I just really would not like to go OLB high again. We keep drafting OLBs high, we need to at least give it one more year with these young guys before drafting their replacement IMO. I’d also re-sign Murphy on the cheap.

Is McKenzie really a good option at NT? I don’t know much about him but for his size but on drafttek they have him as a 3-technique and not a one-technique. I’ll have to do more searching about that but it’s possible that McKenzie is like Stacy McGee, a big guy who likes to play like a small guy. I don’t know this for sure, but I just get that feeling because Drafttek doesn’t list him as a one-technique.

Also, my question about Chub to people that have seen him a lot is, is he just a little better version of Perine? 

If so, I’m not interested. I think Perine is a starting back in this league but we need a guy whos a cross between he and Thompson. We need a mid round pick who’s faster and shiftier than Perine but that guy doesn’t have to be a Quick and shifty as Thompson. 

I’d much rather get an ILB in round 1 or 2 or a WR or NT. I’m personally quite tired of hearing people complain about our run D every year but then in the offseason not willing to draft one of the best NT’s in round 1 or 2. The OL & DL are extremely important and if we truly want to have a great D it’s beyond time to invest in a run stuffer in round 1 or 2.

Allen, Payne & Ioannidis would be a tremendous starting DL for now and the future. 

The OLBs we have now aren’t elite but they are good players and the young guys we have haven’t reached their potential yet. 

Of course, I see your argument also that passing up on an elite pass rusher for a NT could be a mistake in the long run. 

We have one good OLB on the roster.  

3 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

We have one good OLB on the roster.  

Our OLBs looked a lot better when Allen was healthy, as did Ioannidis. Smith had 4.5 sacks in the first month or something like that and so did Kerrigan. Ever since they haven’t been as good. The key is Allen and for as long as he’s here, it will always be Allen.

If we go OLB, I like Landry better than Key anyways.

37 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Our OLBs looked a lot better when Allen was healthy, as did Ioannidis. Smith had 4.5 sacks in the first month or something like that and so did Kerrigan. Ever since they haven’t been as good. The key is Allen and for as long as he’s here, it will always be Allen.

If we go OLB, I like Landry better than Key anyways.

From BC?  He's probably a 2nd round pick right now, but obviously things will change a lot moving up towards the draft.  

21 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

From BC?  He's probably a 2nd round pick right now, but obviously things will change a lot moving up towards the draft.  

Yeah, I saw drafttek had him top 10 the last time I looked, but of course that doesn’t mean anything right now as you’re going eluding to.

Archived