Preventing a Cap Capsizing

vike daddy

3 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Kwesi/Brz cut the losses from 65 mil to 15 mil.

fine financial managment.

You can assume there will be more than $15MM dead next year before this time next year, but I bet it will still be quite a bit less than this year.

Dead cap space isn't necessarily a bad thing though. It happens when teams are borrowing against future cap space; doing that gives a team a competitive advantage if their owner is willing to front the money. What I see as a bad thing, instead of the dead cap number, is signing players to bad contracts. Some of the dead cap space is there because the team signed players to bad contracts from which they needed to get out.

• Like 2

I know it sounds strange, but it's very difficult to completely overhaul a roster in one offseason or even two. The dead cap situation is going to impact teams for a few seasons going from one GM to another. Same when you change coordinators and the players don't fit the new scheme.

I think that is the situation for us moving on from Spielman and Donatell.

41 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I know it sounds strange, but it's very difficult to completely overhaul a roster in one offseason or even two. The dead cap situation is going to impact teams for a few seasons going from one GM to another. Same when you change coordinators and the players don't fit the new scheme.

I think that is the situation for us moving on from Spielman and Donatell.

Sure, but when I look at the dead hit top 7 list posted by Mr. @VikeManDan a good number of those are from contracts KAM gave out -- not Spielman contracts that KAM was moving off.  But sure, some of that, like the '22 Cousins extension and '23 Hunter raise may have been affected by the contracts and cap situation the team was left with when Spielman was jettisoned.

Cook's deal was all Spielman. I thought that was a bad contract from the start, but it was the price that needed to be paid to keep Cook at the time.

Davenport, Cine, Lowry, and Mattison were all Adofo-Mensah.

• Like 2

On 9/5/2024 at 6:58 PM, SteelKing728 said:

Unofficially 7M is pretty good. 

Could extending Bynum open up any money this season? I honestly have no idea how that works.

I really don't either, but I don't there'd be any significant savings by extending him because he already doesn't make a ton.  He's making $3.1M this year, so really how much could you save?  $1M-$2M, maybe?