Preventing a Cap Capsizing

vike daddy

I'm not sure what they plan on using those funds for, outside of extensions to JJ and Darrisaw, because I don't see anyone early on the 2025 FA list that's particularly enticing, but obviously that can change. 

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

I'm not sure what they plan on using those funds for, outside of extensions to JJ and Darrisaw, because I don't see anyone early on the 2025 FA list that's particularly enticing, but obviously that can change. 

It doesn’t have to be just superstars signed with that money though. Just upgrading all around would be good. I think with Flores’ New England background, he knows the importance of getting guys who can play within the scheme and not overpaying for them when it’s time. Maybe that’s how they want to run things. It fits with an analytics approach. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

That'll change drastically once we sign Jefferson and Darrisaw.

Even with those 2 extensions we're probably still looking at ~$80M in cap space and I think that would be on the conservative end. I believe that would've been the most this off-season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

Cam Bynum and Josh Metellus will need re-signed. Maybe Byron Murphy too.

The Chargers remain about $25 million over the 2024 salary cap, with less than six hours to go before every NFL team has to be under at the start of the league year.

That makes it highly likely that at least one, and possibly more than one, of four key players will get cut in the next few hours: Khalil Mack, Joey Bosa, Keenan Allen and Mike Williams. All four of those players have non-guaranteed base salaries of at least $15 million, so they’re the natural choices for a team in rough cap shape to cut.

The Chargers may want to trade one or more of those four players, but the problem is that they have to be under the salary cap before the start of the league year, and players can only be traded after the start of the league year. If the Chargers want to trade one or more of those four, they’ll need to make other moves to get under the cap first.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/chargers-remain-over-the-salary-cap-so-key-players-may-get-cut-today

At least the Vikings aren't the Chargers, who remain the only team still over the cap ($25M over it, nonetheless) and have to come into compliance by 4:00 ET.   We could see a couple of more prime free agents come available because they'll need to do something with them.  It's no wonder they fired Telesco.

Edited by swede700

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

The Chargers remain about $25 million over the 2024 salary cap, with less than six hours to go before every NFL team has to be under at the start of the league year.

That makes it highly likely that at least one, and possibly more than one, of four key players will get cut in the next few hours: Khalil Mack, Joey Bosa, Keenan Allen and Mike Williams. All four of those players have non-guaranteed base salaries of at least $15 million, so they’re the natural choices for a team in rough cap shape to cut.

The Chargers may want to trade one or more of those four players, but the problem is that they have to be under the salary cap before the start of the league year, and players can only be traded after the start of the league year. If the Chargers want to trade one or more of those four, they’ll need to make other moves to get under the cap first.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/chargers-remain-over-the-salary-cap-so-key-players-may-get-cut-today

Gotta be Mack and Allen, right?

• Like 1

One of the key aspects of the NFL’s free agency period is balancing the salary cap with the “dead money”. That is, cap space that’s eaten up by players who are no longer on the roster. It’s an unfortunate — but necessary — consequence of cutting players for cap space. The Minnesota Vikings, at least temporarily, have the highest dead money number in the league.

Most of that number comes from the contracts of Kirk Cousins, Danielle Hunter, and Marcus Davenport. Those three contracts account for $50.2 million of the Vikings $57.3 million dead money hit. Dalvin Cook, Dean Lowry, Alexander Mattison, and Esezi Otomewo make up the remainder of the dead money responsibility.

Minnesota’s $57.3 million dead money number is just ahead of fellow NFC North members Green Bay, who are sitting at $46.5 million. The Seattle Seahawks round out the top three with $36 million. While the Vikings lead the league right now, the Denver Broncos will overtake them by a significant margin once the dead money hit for former quarterback Russell Wilson hits the books.

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2024/03/12/vikings-lead-nfl-dead-money-for-now/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0T7DK4OeT5YeF2wxB17uZzUbQl694yV8U6xLMrBzCgR0CRxBajEeBcdGY