Off-Season 2024-"Peters" built

1 hour ago, Umbaugh21 said:

Are we just going to rely on the draft for offensive tackles? Wylie is going to start again? 

I think we are going to see how the draft shakes out and then re-evaluate from there. In other words, I don't think they are in a hurry to sign anyone right now. With Tyron Smith off the board, there are some lower level talents that we could look into, but no one else seems to be barking up those trees either, meaning we probably have time before making any decisions.

Still going to be pushing the notion of a Garett Bolles trade. I think that’s the cleanest path to a starting LT, and it would really leave us free to do just about whatever we like in the draft.

I would think some sort of current pick + conditional future pick arrangement would be the move — something like our current 5th plus a future 5th that could go up to a 3rd if he plays 15+ games and makes the Pro Bowl or something.

Maybe Denver intends to keep him, but he’s not young and he’s in a contract year (and an expensive one at that). They really should be clearing the decks at this point and trying to set themselves up to be in the position we’re in now a year or two from now.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Still going to be pushing the notion of a Garett Bolles trade. I think that’s the cleanest path to a starting LT, and it would really leave us free to do just about whatever we like in the draft.

I would think some sort of current pick + conditional future pick arrangement would be the move — something like our current 5th plus a future 5th that could go up to a 3rd if he plays 15+ games and makes the Pro Bowl or something.

Maybe Denver intends to keep him, but he’s not young and he’s in a contract year (and an expensive one at that). They really should be clearing the decks at this point and trying to set themselves up to be in the position we’re in now a year or two from now.

At this point the only T who are any good can only be had through a trade. 

Jeremy Fowler

Sources: #Commanders are re-signing offensive tackle Cornelius Lucas to a one-year deal worth up to $4 million. 

Ten-year vet has started 31 games for Washington the last four seasons.

I think better than any options available left in FA

Edited by ARTMONK HOF
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

At this point the only T who are any good can only be had through a trade. 

Yosh Nijman, who Carolina just signed, wouldn't have been a bad option. Josh Jones is still out there as well as a potential option. We have to hope that someone is available in the draft. Unfortunately having a rookie QB and a rookie LT isn't ideal in my mind. 

11 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Jeremy Fowler

Sources: #Commanders are re-signing offensive tackle Cornelius Lucas to a one-year deal worth up to $4 million. 

This is a good signing. Lucas can play, and that’s a very reasonable price.

They still have work to do, obviously. But if you have Lucas and Wylie, that’s a solid safety net. If those two end up starting for you at any point, it’s not good — but you’ve also probably taken “historically awful” off the table, which is important.

Now go get another veteran OT (to raise the short-term floor) and find a way to draft a talented guy (to raise the long-term ceiling) — whether that’s trading up for a mega-traits guy like Mims or Guyton, staying put for a guy like Suamataia, or even moving back a skosh for Paul. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Jeremy Fowler

Interesting. I figured we would have moved on from him as well, but maybe they started to get worried with the options drying up. At 4M on a one year deal, they can still draft a guy to be the starter and he can be our swing tackle. 

On 3/18/2024 at 10:35 AM, Slappy Mc said:

Apparently we also signed CB Michael Davis...

I haven't seen or heard anything about this so... yeah.

This is a guy who I think is flying much too far under the radar.

Classic Quinn corner. Tall, longish arms, great speed, very physical.

Igbinoghene is the same mold, of course, but Davis has actually had a couple of really nice seasons in the pros.  He’s 6th in the entire NFL in passes defended over the last 4 seasons, which is a pretty impressive ranking. It doesn’t mean everything, of course, but it means he’s staying on the field and he’s being disruptive at least.

I hate this term, but I’m expecting a full “open competition” at CB this offseason. You’ve got a bunch of long-armed jokers with different skillsets (and some big question marks), and the big mystery is going to be which of these guys rises to the top. I have no idea. But I like that they’re getting scheme fits with some talent in the door to see what Quinn/Whitt can make of them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Jeremy Fowler

Good move.  Unbelievably cheap.  He is now the best tackle for either side currently on roster.

As of right now it looks like this is the starting OL:

LT: Lucas 
LG: Allegretti
OC: Biadasz
RG: Cosmi
RT: Wylie 

Not great but not awful. 

OT’s will definitely be part of their draft plan 

Edited by ARTMONK HOF

38 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

As of right now it looks like this is the starting OL:

LT: Lucas