Off-Season 2024-"Peters" built

Adam Schefter 

More Jaguars moves: Jacksonville and Brandon Scherff reached agreement on a deal that will fully guarantee the All-Pro guard’s salary this season, add three voidable years to his contract, and save the Jaguars roughly $5 million against the salary cap this season, per sources.

No comeback here. 

4 hours ago, e16bball said:

I went ahead and bolded the word I think is key here. “A” young QB, which is notably singular. Having two young QBs is often worse than having one. As soon as they draft Maye/Daniels, Howell’s utility to the franchise is reduced to minimal.

I didnt know there was a limit of one on that. Good idea though. Let's cut Howell or take any offer as soon as we draft our savior at 2. *sarcasm* 

And given the portion of the fan base who will continue to howl for him, it could easily be argued that he has negative utility to the franchise. Having another option is not a good thing — the last thing a young developing QB needs is distraction and dissension in the ranks. 

Washington fans always have a hankering for the back-up QB. It's been that way for decades. Getting rid of Howell won't change that. 

To me, the idea of preferring to trade two of the better players on the roster rather than the backup QB is somewhat baffling. If you want to trade Allen because of the contract/timeline/potential return, that’s cool with me — but I’m not sure what that has to do with Howell. 

Plenty of people were clamoring for them to be trading mid-season. What changes that now? Also, replacing a high priced DT should be fairly easy, we already have one replacement on roster. Not to mention the abundance of D-Line talent this year. This team is years away from being competitive, even with a young QB, it's almost a disservice to keep them. Might as well consider trading McLaurin too. 

As for what it has to do with Howell, would you argue that Howell, Payne or Allen have different values in return? To me, if the plan is to get as close to the first round as possible, you trade the higher valued asset where we can easier replace them. 

My preference is still to maximize draft capital by trading down. If we trade down with NE and let them have the choice between the two QBs and take the other while securing an addition 2nd+ this year, I would prefer to go that route over all others. I know many don't want to trade out of range for Maye/Daniels, so one spot is probably the farthest we can go. We should absolutely be able to get a 2nd from NE though if we went that route and they had a preference between the two. 

6 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Nicki Jhabvala 

Baker Mayfield is re-signing with the Bucs on a 3-year deal that is worth up to $115M and includes $50M guaranteed, source confirmed.

Holy Caped Crusader.. Didn't see that one coming . OVERpaid !

11 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Nicki Jhabvala 

Baker Mayfield is re-signing with the Bucs on a 3-year deal that is worth up to $115M and includes $50M guaranteed, source confirmed.

Top QB not named Kirk Cousins off the board. Curious to see what Russ and Cousins end up doing.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2024 at 1:36 PM, ARTMONK HOF said:

So curious about this new front office. First off on how they’re going to approach free agency and then the draft. This offseason can’t come fast enough. 
 Hopefully they will be more aggressive than RR and company and not wait until all the A- listers are gone. 

I don’t think they’ll be very aggressive this front office. Peters said he will build the team through the draft and supplement through FA. Those expecting us to have this huge spending spree, I don’t believe it & we haven’t done much thus far besides sign Ertz with is just a space holder till Turner or a TE we draft in the next few drafts becomes our long term answer there.

I expect us to sign some vets to improve the roster but I don’t expect us to spend huge on guys just to do it. 

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Too old. We need to go younger.

There needs to be a balance. Our team is arguably "too young." Same reason that they were comfortable adding the 33 year old Ertz.

18 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Top QB not named Kirk Cousins off the board. Curious to see what Russ and Cousins end up doing.

I don’t think Russ is going to cost much, he’s getting paid by the Broncos. 

Kirk is going to cost. It wouldn’t shock me if Minny or ATL pays him  $40 mil for 2 or 3 years.

6 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

There needs to be a balance. Our team is arguably "too young." Same reason that they were comfortable adding the 33 year old Ertz.

Ehh. We have older vets on our D to lead it. I’m not saying we need to just go with a rookie at MIKE next year but rather than over paying a 30-something past his prime MLB like we used to do in the Snyder era, let’s pay a young LB coming into his prime off of his first contract like Devin White, Patrick Queen, Jordyn Brooks, Willie Gay, Josey Jewell etc.

Edited by turtle28

29 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Holy Caped Crusader.. Didn't see that one coming . OVERpaid !

He’s likely to continue to play as he did last year, like a 15ish QB, but unlikely to live up to that contract but that’s the going rate for a QB in that range now. 

Just now, turtle28 said:

Ehh. We have older vets on our D to lead it. I’m not saying we need to just go with a rookie at MIKE next year but rather than over paying a 30-something past his prime MLB like we used to do in the Snyder era, let’s pay a young LB coming into his prime off of his first contract like Devin White, Patrick Queen, Josey Jewell etc.

Devin White absolutely sucks. I'm on board with Patrick Queen and even Jewell, but Campbell is still very servicable and would probably not require "over-paying" as you suggested.

7 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I don’t think Russ is going to cost much, he’s getting paid by the Broncos. 

Kirk is going to cost. It wouldn’t shock me if Minny or ATL pays him  $40 mil for 2 or 3 years.

I still think ATL ends up with Fields. Russ doesn't strike me as the type of guy to take a lesser deal just because he is still getting paid from his previous deal, he will still get 25-30M on the market, IMO. Cousins is going to have to come off his fully GTD contract thing he has been getting, especially after his Achilles injury last year. I could actually see NE as a possible destination.

1 minute ago, Slappy Mc said:

Devin White absolutely sucks. I'm on board with Patrick Queen and even Jewell, but Campbell is still very servicable and would probably not require "over-paying" as you suggested.

I still think ATL ends up with Fields. Russ doesn't strike me as the type of guy to take a lesser deal just because he is still getting paid from his previous deal, he will still get 25-30M on the market, IMO. Cousins is going to have to come off his fully GTD contract thing he has been getting, especially after his Achilles injury last year. I could actually see NE as a possible destination.

Devin White Sucks? This is news to me. I’ve literally never heard that opinion before. The Bucs don’t win the Super Bowl without his flying around leading that defense two years ago.

• Like 1