Off-Season 2024-"Peters" built

42 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

The Commanders started the day with approximately $85m in salary cap space and plenty of holes to fill. Here's how Day 1 concluded: 

-----------------------------------------

Dorance Armstrong, DE from the Dallas Cowboys - reported 3 year, $33 million deal 
Armstrong was a rotational player for the Cowboys, but is likely stepping into a larger role starting for the Commanders and Dan Quinn's defense. In his part time role, Armstrong managed 18.5 sacks in 31 games. Armstrong comes with a bit of a gamble - can he keep this up in full time work? But it's a gamble on a team friendly deal that wasn't too expensive. 

Tyler Biadasz, C from the Dallas Cowboys - reported 3 year deal worth $30 million.
Biadasz, a former Pro Bowler in 2022, was a solid interior protector for the Cowboys. My opinion is that this is absolutely an upgrade from what we had at the position. Where does this leave Stromberg? Unknown. Biadasz is just 26 years old though, with good experience. He should be a great addition to our probable future rookie QB. Hell he should make things better for Sam Howell too. 

Frankie Luvu, LB from the Carolina Panthers - reported 3 year deal worth a max of $36 million.
Luvu isn't your typical Commanther signing. Wasn't ever even with Rivera there. Luvu is a jack of all trades - 12.5 sacks and a lot of tackles over the last two seasons. He should step into the Mike role for Quinn and be a nice fit for him. This is absolutely the type of player Peters and Quinn talked about wanting to sign. He fits what they are looking for. I think looking back on this one, we're remember it more positively. 

Austin Ekeler, RB from the Los Angeles Chargers - reported two year, 11.5 million deal. 
I love this deal. Yes, I know this is not the same Austin Ekeler from two+ years ago. He doesn't have to be. Ekeler should provide a great complement to Brian Robinson as well as being an excellent safety valve for our Quarterback to rely on. For some of the money some RBs got today (who, yes have more overall talent), we got a good deal here. Ekeler had some down numbers last year, but still contributed 628 rushing and 436 receiving yards. Two years ago he was 915 rushing and 722 receiving (on 107 catches!). He's not a burner. He's just there. I think he can be a lot of what we wanted from Gibson. 

Nick Allegretti, G from the Kansas City Chiefs - reported three year, $16 million deal.
Do we have shades of deja vu from the Wylie signing? Possibly. It's a decent contract for a guy who should be at best our swing interior lineman (again where does this leave Stromberg?). But, this reminds me of the Schweitzer signing years ago. We have a reliable guy to be a backup, or he comes in and is our starter until we can upgrade the position. This contract certainly won't break us, and puts us in a position to be a little more flexible. Like you, I hope this isn't the end of the work on the interior, but overall I get why they did it. 

Brandon McManus, K from the Jacksonville Jaguars - reported 1 year deal for $3.6 million.
After spending his entire career in Denver, McManus spent last season with Jacksonville. Seemed like he was fine? Should be an upgrade over Slye as McManus did not miss an XP last season. 

--------------------------

Overall a pretty good first day. I would say we solidified 3 starting positions, possibly 4 (Ekeler would be 5 but I assume it's still B-Rob's job), and took care of kicker. Let's see what Day 2 brings. 

Some guys I am looking at today:

Justin Simmons - I think he'd bring something Quinn would love. This is assuming we're out on Curl. 

Yosh Nijman/Josh Jones - a good swing tackle option if we don't bring back Lucas. 

Andrus Peat - left tackle option

Kristian Fulton - a buy low option hoping he can recover. 

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

They have got to do something at tackle. We literally have nothing lol

Joe Alt incoming! 

fb0500ce-a9f1-4aef-86e1-122bf4d49346_tex

Seriously though. I agree we need a starting LT. Wylie isn't great, or even good, but he holds a spot right now.

Also, glad to see they aren't taking their foot off the gas pedal. This roster is in need of lots of talent.

Unfortunately I think that makes it far less likely we go for Danielle Hunter as Ferrell is the 2nd DE we have signed now.

14 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Also, glad to see they aren't taking their foot off the gas pedal. This roster is in need of lots of talent.

Unfortunately I think that makes it far less likely we go for Danielle Hunter as Ferrell is the 2nd DE we have signed now.

Heck, we still only have 3 right. Not including Pryor. KJ Henry and the two signings.

4 minutes ago, Troublez said:

Taking a lot swings. I am ok staying away from the high profile contracts and guaranteed money. We still have a lot to spend, anyone know remaining cap space?

Unfortunately no. Not everyone is officially reported in for their breakdown. Low Year 1 cap hits though. 

5 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Heck, we still only have 3 right. Not including Pryor. KJ Henry and the two signings.

I count 6 total now. 

Dorance Armstrong, Clelin Ferrell, KJ Henry, Andre Jones, Joshua Pryor, Jalen Harris.

*stupid autocorrect

Edited by Slappy Mc