Is Baker better than Tua?

Towerbridge

Let's also consider the context of what we just saw this weekend...

Tua was on the road, with a banged up team, in the freezing cold, facing probably a top 3 defense in the NFL in the playoffs. It's not a surprise he didn't play well.

Baker was also on the road facing a bottom 5 defense and overall an entire team that has been collapsing for over a month now. It's not a surprise that he was able to move the ball on the Eagles. Moreover, the Eagles are just a pathetic defense all around. It wasn't like Baker was out there dropping dimes. He literally threw a touchdown pass where he just chucked a ball into the middle of the field and the defender ran 5 yards past the WR, who casually turned around and caught it for a touchdown...like, come on.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Xmad said:

In terms of talent, Tua>Baker.

Results so far? Baker>Tua. 

But also until either wins a superbowl or makes a deep playoff run eh.

Tua is at least able to put together a dominant offense and a winning record.

Arm talent Baker>>>>Tua

I think Tua is the perfect fit for Miami. I think I'd rather have Tua in Miami than Baker.

Otherwise, hard telling. Week by week and year by year things change. Baker has height limitations, Tua has velocity limitations. If you build and playcall around either I think you are fine.

Before the season the Dolphins were supposed to be a playoff team or close. Bucs were supposed to be a bottom 3 team. 

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Let's also consider the context of what we just saw this weekend...

Tua was on the road, with a banged up team, in the freezing cold, facing probably a top 3 defense in the NFL in the playoffs. It's not a surprise he didn't play well.

Baker was also on the road facing a bottom 5 defense and overall an entire team that has been collapsing for over a month now. It's not a surprise that he was able to move the ball on the Eagles. Moreover, the Eagles are just a pathetic defense all around. It wasn't like Baker was out there dropping dimes. He literally threw a touchdown pass where he just chucked a ball into the middle of the field and the defender ran 5 yards past the WR, who casually turned around and caught it for a touchdown...like, come on.

Who won the NFC south.

But yes context is important and Tua is only in his 4th season.

29 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Arm talent Baker>>>>Tua

I think Tua is the perfect fit for Miami. I think I'd rather have Tua in Miami than Baker.

Otherwise, hard telling. Week by week and year by year things change. Baker has height limitations, Tua has velocity limitations. If you build and playcall around either I think you are fine.

Before the season the Dolphins were supposed to be a playoff team or close. Bucs were supposed to be a bottom 3 team. 

Tua fits Miami's offense perfectly for him.

Baker is a losing season away from being a bum again.

23 minutes ago, Xmad said:

Who won the NFC south.

But yes context is important and Tua is only in his 4th season.

Tua fits Miami's offense perfectly for him.

Baker is a losing season away from being a bum again.

Any top 20 QB could win the nfc south 

• Like 1

I don't think so but to me they are essentially the same type of QB. Same with Jared Goff.

If you give them a clean pocket with minimal pressure, they will find their target and perform as a good to great QB. But if you take away a read or put a little pressure on them you can see them start to panic and they crumble.

Jared Goff is definitely the best of the bunch. I'd put Tua slightly ahead of Baker but I see the OP logic. 

I don't think Tua will ever be an elite QB and needs the right system, WR's and coach to perform great. Which he had everything this year and still flamed out.

Same tier QB. Baker just swings from his highs and lows more frequently than Tua. I definitely think we already know who Tua is as a QB though. QBs generally don't radically transform after they're already 50 plus games into their career. Alex Smith is the only exception I can think of.

9 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

Any top 20 QB could win the nfc south 

Nah top 28.

8 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I am also relatively certain any top 25 QB could have won the NFC South.

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Derek Carr is trash.

He's better than some NFL mvps tbh.

10 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

I know 3800 yards and 25 passing TDs is trash (but not for the MVP) but can you name 24 better QBs?

Derek Carr has the most empty stat line of any QB ever. Well, except 2023 Sam Howell, who had 3,946 passing yards and 21 passing TD's and 5 rushing TD's and was benched I think twice for poor play?

1 hour ago, CP3MVP said:

I mean Desmond riddle was in contention for the nfc south lol

Yeah hence the "could have won the NFC South". Desmond Ridder is a bottom 3 QB.

Edited by AFlaccoSeagulls

21 hours ago, The BILLievers said:

I don't think so but to me they are essentially the same type of QB. Same with Jared Goff.

If you give them a clean pocket with minimal pressure, they will find their target and perform as a good to great QB. But if you take away a read or put a little pressure on them you can see them start to panic and they crumble.

Jared Goff is definitely the best of the bunch. I'd put Tua slightly ahead of Baker but I see the OP logic. 

I don't think Tua will ever be an elite QB and needs the right system, WR's and coach to perform great. Which he had everything this year and still flamed out.

A lot of that was due to his weapons and O line getting injured, which only reinforces your argument.

I agree, he'll never be in the Mahomes/Allen/Lamar/Burrow tier. I think he'll top out as a Kirk Cousins type of QB if everything goes right for him, which is still a damn good QB who can win games. The bigger issue is, they have to deal with Josh Allen in the division, and the division typically goes to the team with an elite QB unless that team has a brain-dead GM and/or coach. 

Edited by WizeGuy
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:
2 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

I mean Desmond riddle was in contention for the nfc south lol

Yeah hence the "could have won the NFC South". Desmond Ridder is a bottom 3 QB.

The Browns had the 31st rated QB performance on the season and finished 2 games behind the Ravens. The Falcons were 27th and finished 2 games behind the Buccaneers. So both division leaders must be garbage. 

Could the Browns have not won the NFCS if they were added to the division? With a bottom 2 QB performance. Probably. 

Would Lamar starting for the Panthers have won them the division? Probably not.

Just bad logic all around. 

Falcons outside of QB probably have the best roster in the NFCS. So yeah, it makes sense they were competitive. Same with the Browns, they have a very good roster and bad QB. that doesn't mean that any team with a top 25 QB will finish ahead of the Browns because the Steelers (21st rated QB) and the Bengals (11th) didn't do it. Still a team game.