Off-Season QB Talk

I figured I'd make a thread to keep all of our QB related talk in. Some of the other threads are getting so big and convoluted, so let's start fresh.

We've got a lot of big decisions as a team coming up. Coach, Staff, Cam, and none bigger than QB. I'd guess we have three solutions to the QB problem. Swing for a potential QBoTF, have Kenny and Mason compete for the #1, and sign a Vet stop gap. 

QBoTF possibilities lay with Justin Fields or a rookie. Both would require giving up draft capital. We'd need to be extra active in FA to fill needs with this scenario.

Status quo - Bringing back Mason and having a competition with Kenny. If we build the team around these guys, we could probably hope for another similar year. Maybe chasing the division, and a playoff spot. 

Vet Stop Gap - Bring in a guy like Kirk Cousins or Geno. Have Kenny be the #2. If we do this and have another good off-season, I would feel better about this scenario turning into playoff success. Probably not a SB, but crazier things have happened. I don't know if any of the possible vets would have beaten Buffalo yesterday, but I would have felt somewhat better than I did with Mason and/or Kenny. 

Either way, we need to continue upgrading the talent all over the team. We MUST bring in a modern offense.  

So what's everyone's takes? Are these the most likely scenarios? What else might happen? Which would you like?

• Like 1

I think this is a 3 QB draft and those 3 will go picks 1-3. It sucks that Jayden Daniels stock sky rocketed to this point, I thought at one point he could have been a target in the late 1st. 

Joe Milton is a guy I would definitely take a look at in the middle rounds. 

Outside of Justin Fields and Kirk Cousins, none of the other vet QBs who are available really intrigue me.  

• Like 1

I think the vet option has to be Cousins or maybe Brissett. Fields I think will cost too much and is erratic. I also don't know that I trust the coaching to improve his game.  

The Steelers need a long-term solution, however. While i was hopeful, Pickett does not seem to be the guy so the team is kind of back to square one. 

A)Resign Rudolph or comparable vet(Brisset?) and let him and Pickett compete for starter after improving the OL and weapons through the draft and FA

B)Trade the farm to get someone that drops past say 5th pick overall..

C)Sign Cousins or Baker to engage in 3-4 year window

Thwres your 3 options.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, AFF said:

A)Resign Rudolph or comparable vet(Brisset?) and let him and Pickett compete for starter after improving the OL and weapons through the draft and FA

Thwres your 3 options.

If we dont overhaul the offensive coaching staff, I really dont care who is playing QB next year.

• Like 1

Just now, 43M said:

If we dont overhaul the offensive coaching staff, I really dont care who is playing QB next year.

Well yea I was only speaking in a player based perspective.

OC hire would definitely be a factor regardless.

5 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I figured I'd make a thread to keep all of our QB related talk in. Some of the other threads are getting so big and convoluted, so let's start fresh.

We've got a lot of big decisions as a team coming up. Coach, Staff, Cam, and none bigger than QB. I'd guess we have three solutions to the QB problem. Swing for a potential QBoTF, have Kenny and Mason compete for the #1, and sign a Vet stop gap. 

QBoTF possibilities lay with Justin Fields or a rookie. Both would require giving up draft capital. We'd need to be extra active in FA to fill needs with this scenario.

Status quo - Bringing back Mason and having a competition with Kenny. If we build the team around these guys, we could probably hope for another similar year. Maybe chasing the division, and a playoff spot. 

Vet Stop Gap - Bring in a guy like Kirk Cousins or Geno. Have Kenny be the #2. If we do this and have another good off-season, I would feel better about this scenario turning into playoff success. Probably not a SB, but crazier things have happened. I don't know if any of the possible vets would have beaten Buffalo yesterday, but I would have felt somewhat better than I did with Mason and/or Kenny. 

Either way, we need to continue upgrading the talent all over the team. We MUST bring in a modern offense.  

So what's everyone's takes? Are these the most likely scenarios? What else might happen? Which would you like?

Rudolph is like a Andy Dalton type qb when given upgraded weapons from the first go run.

It would seem to be either/or with him and Pickett.

4 hours ago, C$! said:

I think the vet option has to be Cousins or maybe Brissett. Fields I think will cost too much and is erratic. I also don't know that I trust the coaching to improve his game.  

The Steelers need a long-term solution, however. While i was hopeful, Pickett does not seem to be the guy so the team is kind of back to square one. 

Cousins and Brissett are non factors for me. Cousins is a franchise qb that bounces around too often and Brissett is 35-50

3 hours ago, AFF said:

Thwres your 3 options.

A) Rudolph and Pickett is too much the same. One is a very good backup (top 40) and Pickett is an irrelevant. Cash in on Pickett for like a 5th to some team in qb transition that wants to go cheap.

B) Theres no reason to cash in on a ballsy move when youre nowhere near glory. Youre actually on the down to despair with Watt near cash out and Heyward and Fitzpatrick on bloated deals with no lines on either side of the ball

C) Get a new window. This ones closed

2 hours ago, AFF said:

Well yea I was only speaking in a player based perspective.

OC hire would definitely be a factor regardless.

I know...just saying that I personally feel like spending big resources on a QB is kind of a waste if we dont get the coaching right.

too many problems with this team.  Getting a decent QB will keep the team near 8-10 wins and not really help in the long run in the draft considering they won't pick early. 

KP  will be the QB , like it or not, and he will play out his rookie contract.  

If mitch is on the roster, everyone should demand refunds for their tickets

13 hours ago, zflairway said:

Cousins and Brissett are non factors for me. Cousins is a franchise qb that bounces around too often and Brissett is 35-50

well for me they would both be stop-gaps that can play well. They are not long-term solutions but could hold the fort for a year or two while they look for a long-term solution.