Who do you want as the Steelers new Offensive Coordinator?

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

No.  Najee is not a one cut runner.  He is a north-south old-tyme power back.  Warren is the one cut back best fit for zone blocking.

Agreed. Either Smith gets the lightbulb to turn on for Najee and makes him good at outside zone runs (unlikely) or Smith makes adjustments in his run scheme for Najee. 

If neither of these things happen then the run game will be busted until one of them does.

You would hope this was something addressed in the interview process. “Hey our first round pick RB is a horrible fit for your run scheme what’s the plan there?”

My question for someone smarter than me - Was Derrick Henry successful with these types of runs in Tennessee and if so what made Henry successful at them that Najee couldn’t replicate? I’ve always imagined Najee as essentially Derrick Henry without the breakaway speed. Is it a vision thing? Was Henry good at these types of run before Smith or did Smith teach him how to have success with them?

2 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

Facts. Well said. Although, I think that they both can be effective. I believe that Artur Smith will tailor some things for Najee's skills and abilities. Both of these guys will be a focus of the run game. With an improved OL, they should be.

You start running PA and mixing up the runs with 3 WR in and Najee can do inside zone runs.  Just back the defense from the LOS.  Najee running a power gap scheme into 9-10 men within 5 yards of the LOS will fail.  Allow the QBs to audible out to a pass might also help

Edited by jebrick
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, jebrick said:

You start running PA and mixing up the runs with 3 WR in and Najee can do inside zone runs.  Just back the defense from the LOS. 

Absolutely.  They can do that under center or in shotgun.

Najee running a power gap scheme into 9-10 men within 5 yards of the LOS will fail. 

Agreed. I think the exception can be with Najee running out of a power I formation with three TE's. With an improved OL and better blocking  from the TE's, they can mix it up and do some ole' skool smash-mouth stuff. At least here and there to mix it up.

Allow the QBs to audible out to a pass might also help.

Man that's huge! We didn't see enough of this last year. Some plays were doomed from the start and there was not enough flexibility to make audibles to take advantage of the defense keying in on a play and formation.

4 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

Agreed. Either Smith gets the lightbulb to turn on for Najee and makes him good at outside zone runs (unlikely) or Smith makes adjustments in his run scheme for Najee. 

If neither of these things happen then the run game will be busted until one of them does.

You would hope this was something addressed in the interview process. “Hey our first round pick RB is a horrible fit for your run scheme what’s the plan there?”

My question for someone smarter than me - Was Derrick Henry successful with these types of runs in Tennessee and if so what made Henry successful at them that Najee couldn’t replicate? I’ve always imagined Najee as essentially Derrick Henry without the breakaway speed. Is it a vision thing? Was Henry good at these types of run before Smith or did Smith teach him how to have success with them?

Not smarter than you but Derrick Henry excelled at running Zone. Henry has always excelled at running Zone even when he played at Alabama. Henry has great vision and quick footwork. I'm concerned about the OL fitting Zone runs moreso than Najee finding the right holes..

• Like 1

Just now, armsteeld said:

Not smarter than you but Derrick Henry excelled at running Zone. Henry has always excelled at running Zone even when he played at Alabama. Henry has great vision and quick footwork. I'm concerned about the OL fitting Zone runs moreso than Najee finding the right holes..

Maybe Smith will shift his philosophies a bit to fit our personnel? It seems like we just keep flinging back and forth with our O-line scheme. It'd be nice to set it and forget it. 

At Alabama, Harris was dominant on zone runs, rushing for 886 yards on 154 carries (5.8 yards per carry), scoring seven touchdowns, ripping off 33 10+ yard runs and added 50 first downs overall.Jun 21, 2023

https://steelersdepot.com/2023/06/najee-harris-thrived-on-zone-runs-in-2022-according-to-pro-football-focus/#:~:text=At Alabama%2C Harris was dominant,added 50 first downs overall.

To me it comes down to the OL. If the OL are mobile enough to get to their aiming points on Zone runs then it leaves a breakdown in the play. That could lead to many run stuffs or tackles for loss.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, rlon said:

See a lot of stretch plays and pitches...don't see Harris as a good fit for those types of plays.

I wonder how Naj would fare if he lost a couple pounds? He doesn't seem too big for his frame, but it could help him gain a step. 

6 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

It’s a direction thing. Smith had Henry moving downhill on those runs with stretches and long tosses. Every time Canada/Sullivan did a run lol this it was a short toss, out of shotgun, or something where Najee was E/W when he got the ball. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, armsteeld said:

At Alabama, Harris was dominant on zone runs, rushing for 886 yards on 154 carries (5.8 yards per carry), scoring seven touchdowns, ripping off 33 10+ yard runs and added 50 first downs overall.Jun 21, 2023

https://steelersdepot.com/2023/06/najee-harris-thrived-on-zone-runs-in-2022-according-to-pro-football-focus/#:~:text=At Alabama%2C Harris was dominant,added 50 first downs overall.

To me it comes down to the OL. If the OL are mobile enough to get to their aiming points on Zone runs then it leaves a breakdown in the play. That could lead to many run stuffs or tackles for loss.

He has not shown the quick feet or the one cut ability I would expect in a zone scheme runner.  I would guess that Bama had a huge talent superiority and it showed.  You can keep pointing to these stats and I will point to the failure of wide-zone runs with Najee.