Raiders hire Antonio Pierce as Head Coach

On 1/20/2024 at 8:31 PM, NickButera said:

I disagree. I don't believe we have a core group of players (on offense) to build around. 

The fact that AP did what he did with a crappy offense outside Adams, is THE reason he kept him and how he earned it. 

I don't think Mark thinks that at all, I think he thinks the opposite. Our offense needs pieces, (OR a QB to tie everything together) and not many people could go 5-4 with a rookie 4th round QB and a patch work o-line, an injured star RB (who's now a free agent). 

So you’re keeping AP to rebuild the roster mainly because the current group wanted him? 

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

So you’re keeping AP to rebuild the roster mainly because the current group wanted him? 

Nope.

Not sure how many times I can type something and you infer I said something else.

Just why exactly do you think that either we have a phenomenal core group of players or a team that needs to be rebuilt from the ground up? You do know there is this very large area in between those two things?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NickButera said:

Nope.

Not sure how many times I can type something and you infer I said something else.

I think you’re realistically either trying to contend or rebuild. It seems like we’re trying to contend considering it’s likely we keep the majority of this team together. I also disagree about not having an offensive core. Adams, Meyers, Mayer, Jacobs, Miller and probably 3 other starters back up front to me is a core of players. We’ll probably have 9 offensive starters that played for us this year back. The only two I think we’ll change are QB and possibly 1/2 OL spots. 

As some other guys also mentioned before:
I'm fine with AP getting the job, but I don't like how they managed to do it.

If AP was the frontrunner for the job, then why were guys like Maxx Crosby rooting for AP publicly?
I think if you are sure, that you want to hire AP, you have your key locker room guys involved to your decision, to avoid discussion whether the locker room is in charge of hiring the HC or not.

Also I think it's a lost opportunity to not interview other guys, even if you know that AP is your guy. You can get information about how other franchises work, what they look for and what's their impression of the problems the Raiders have from the outside.

The only logical reason why you miss that opportunity is, that AP was close to getting an agreement with the Titans or the Giants, so they had the feeling, he would be gone if they made a real HC searching process.

Or maybe Harbaugh was the frontrunner, and since he has a good relationship with Mark Davis, he said to him that he has no interest in leaving Ann Arbor. That would explain to me why the locker room spoke up.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

• Three names I’ve heard for the Raiders OC job: Shane Waldron, Kliff Kingsbury and Luke Getsy.

Very underwhelming start to the search. Waldon is now with the Bears, but he and Getsy run the same scheme. Getsy is laughably awful. How the hell do you interview a guy who was the laughing stock of the league this past season?

Kliff could be a good OC, but there would be concerns with his system and QB fit ultimately.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Very underwhelming start to the search. Waldon is now with the Bears, but he and Getsy run the same scheme. Getsy is laughably awful. How the hell do you interview a guy who was the laughing stock of the league this past season?

Kliff could be a good OC, but there would be concerns with his system and QB fit ultimately.  

We better not hire Luke Getsy

22 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Raiders acting like AP can call plays. Go find an OC!