Raiders hire Antonio Pierce as Head Coach

5 minutes ago, Dessie said:

That’s an interesting rumour, what roles would they have? 

Not quite sure. I wonder if Champ would be GM with Dodds a VP of Football Ops or something along those lines. Or maybe Champ is happy getting a nice raise and sticking at AGM, with Dodds GM? Not entirely sure but I assume Dodds would have final say.

14 minutes ago, Dessie said:

That’s an interesting rumour, what roles would they have? 

Could be a number of things. We could elevate somebody already in the organization to present a football operations. Either Kelly or Dodds could be VP.

2 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Offensive Coordinators options: 

• Frank Reich  - former Panthers coach
  • Shane Waldron - Former Seattle OC
  • Kellen Moore - former Chargers OC
  • Eric Bieniemy - former Washington OC
  • Byron Leftwich - former Bucs OC
  • Zach Robinson - Rams QB coach 
  • Klint Kubiak - 49ers 
  • Brian Griese - 9ers QB coach 
  • Pep Hamilton - former Texans OC
  • Kliff Kingsbury - USC QB coach
  • Alex Van Pelt - former Browns OC
  • Thomas Brown- former Panthers OC
  • Greg Roman - former Ravens OC
  • Liam Coen- Kentucky OC
  • Darrell Bevell - Dolphins QB coach 
  • Jerrod Johnson - Texans QB coach 
  • Ryan Grubb 
  • Greg Roman 
  • Tee Martin - Ravens QB coach 
  • Anthony Lynn - 49ers RB coach 
  • Jake Peetz - Rams assistant 
  • David Shaw - former Stanford Coach 
  • Tavita Pritchard - Washington QB coach
  • Tanner Engstrand - Lions Assistant 
  • Drew Terrell - Cardinals Assistant 
  • Garrett Riley - Clemson OC
  • Ronald Curry- Saints QB coach

Of those I like a few but feel like we need experience with Pierce a relatively young coach. Reich, Keftwich and Van Pelt I think could be good, Griese or Kubiak may be more exciting and maybe it’s just me but would love to get the legend Ronald Curry back involved but it’s probably too soon for him

4 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

You and ny need to quit crying cause your guys jmdz and jimmy didn’t do anything last year. Give pierce a chance before you just dump all over him. Preaching give jmdz 3 years when they never showed any indication that they’d be a good hc/gm combo. Yall was praying pierce didn’t Win down the stretch and he did. If anything y’all should give him the benefit of the doubt because he succeeded when y’all were convinced he’d fail.

You can chill with the narratives and don't lump me in with NY who's purely passive aggressively trolling. I've expressed what I feel are valid concerns with AP, you can agree or not. My biggest issue is not doing a broad search in this talented coaching cycle.

JMD was never "my guy" and like JMD, I'll support AP getting 3 years to lay his foundation in place unless it goes the way the majority if interim hires go. 

History tells us it won't work out, but I respect how he is treating the job in surrounding himself with mentors to help with what he doesn't know. 

Was reading this form the ringer earlier this week:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2024/1/19/24043867/11-rules-for-hiring-an-nfl-head-coach-bill-belichick-mike-tomlin-david-tepper-mark-davisv

AP checks boxes 1-4, 8 

5 - 7 - TBD

9 - Didn't like the approach with Mark here.

10 - TBD - time will tell if he meets this profile:

And finally: the flowery profile. You’ll notice in the second half of the season that various candidates will get a little press that often makes them out to be the next Bill Walsh. Nothing wrong with a little self-promotion (those agents and publicists work hard!), and nothing wrong with trying to identify the up-and-comers. But don’t fall in love. By nature, these pieces are going to show you more good than bad. Take them for what they are, but don’t let them convince you of a candidate’s qualifications.

These traps have gotten many an owner over the years. Look out! You don’t want to be the next victim.

11 - This is a question to be answered still. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, NYRaider said:

IIRC you were against stroud last year because QBs from that system never work out. Lmfao. 

You’re expecting AP to break a 2.5 decade trend across multiple teams in an NFL setting 

You're expecting Caleb to break a 3+ decade trend across multiple teams in an NFL setting. 

59 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Of those I like a few but feel like we need experience with Pierce a relatively young coach. Reich, Keftwich and Van Pelt I think could be good, Griese or Kubiak may be more exciting and maybe it’s just me but would love to get the legend Ronald Curry back involved but it’s probably too soon for him

I find myself heavily on the Kubiak train myself. Another guy with a ton of quality contacts, and I wouldn't hate Gary being another mentor type for AP. Gary oversaw some pretty solid builds/rebuilds himself. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I find myself heavily on the Kubiak train myself. Another guy with a ton of quality contacts, and I wouldn't hate Gary being another mentor type for AP. Gary oversaw some pretty solid builds/rebuilds himself. 

If they can land him it's a no-brainer really

Edited by Jeremy408
  • Like 1

Champ and Dodds? Would be amazing. Would explain the delay in announcing Champ. 

Would imagine Champ gets the GM tag and Dodds gets the president of football operations tag. 

Edited by agarcia34

8 hours ago, NYRaider said:

That’s fair. If we leverage the future to move up for AP’s guy at QB and we regress then what? Because as @big_palooka this hire and the fact we’re likely keeping this core together points to Mark believing we are a QB away from contending. Because again, why are you trying to build off this core if it isn’t good enough to contend now or at the very least soon. 

I think we may have different definitions of ideas?

Our defensive core is definitely worthy of competing and are a few pieces away from being elite. 

Our offense, I don't think has a "core". A core would consist of a QB who ties everything together and we don't have that. For instance, a QB who just runs like fields wouldnt make a core with Adams and Jacobs. So, I don't think there is an offensive "core", I think we have pieces that can make a core, that's up to our GM to do and Pierce to develop. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NickButera said:

I think we may have different definitions of ideas?

Our defensive core is definitely worthy of competing and are a few pieces away from being elite. 

Our offense, I don't think has a "core". A core would consist of a QB who ties everything together and we don't have that. For instance, a QB who just runs like fields wouldnt make a core with Adams and Jacobs. So, I don't think there is an offensive "core", I think we have pieces that can make a core, that's up to our GM to do and Pierce to develop. 

Our offensive core is Kolton Miller. High-level LT is a big premium. That's about it.

Mayer I'd expect is upper echelon TE next year too, top 5-10. Adams is still that dude. Meyers depending on the offense we implement. Beyond that, not a whole lot long-term. Some servicable guys on the line, but overall you're right, we are bottom 10ish, due to QB.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

You can chill with the narratives and don't lump me in with NY who's purely passive aggressively trolling. I've expressed what I feel are valid concerns with AP, you can agree or not. My biggest issue is not doing a broad search in this talented coaching cycle.

JMD was never "my guy" and like JMD, I'll support AP getting 3 years to lay his foundation in place unless it goes the way the majority if interim hires go. 

History tells us it won't work out, but I respect how he is treating the job in surrounding himself with mentors to help with what he doesn't know. 

Was reading this form the ringer earlier this week:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2024/1/19/24043867/11-rules-for-hiring-an-nfl-head-coach-bill-belichick-mike-tomlin-david-tepper-mark-davisv

AP checks boxes 1-4, 8 

5 - 7 - TBD

9 - Didn't like the approach with Mark here.

10 - TBD - time will tell if he meets this profile:

11 - This is a question to be answered still. 

Fair enough but imo there’s no book on being a hc but it’s a interesting concept. Every team is different different league years. 

11 minutes ago, justwinbaby81 said:

Our offensive core is Kolton Miller. High-level LT is a big premium. That's about it.

Mayer I'd expect is upper echelon TE next year too, top 5-10. Adams is still that dude. Meyers depending on the offense we implement. Beyond that, not a whole lot long-term. Some servicable guys on the line, but overall you're right, we are bottom 10ish, due to QB.

Mayer has to stay healthy