Steelers 2024 NFL Draft Prospects

1 minute ago, bigben07MVP said:

https://x.com/allbrightnfl/status/1755604632951574767?s=46&t=qcRuXjH2St1oLeP8Aph7Og

Mccarthy getting some top 10 steam already. I’m with Albright I think he is clear QB4.

Jon Ledyard said his situation could be similar to Justin Herbert where he was in a gimmicky screen heavy offense in college but when you got to the NFL you could instantly see he was so much more than that. McCarthy wasn’t asked to do much at all at Michigan but they didn’t really need him to. I am intrigued by his tools and he did make a couple of plays in the NC game that wowed me.

I wouldn’t hate it at all if he fell to pick 20, I am curious how everyone else feels.

Those draft twitter heads take turns trying to turn pumpkins into carriages. I'm not a big Michigan watcher but what I've seen is underwhelming. He has all these good WR prospects yet doesn't do much with them. I see a lesser AJ McCarron. If you guys know more, then I'm willing to listen and watch.

4 hours ago, armsteeld said:

He has all these good WR prospects yet doesn't do much with them. I see a lesser AJ McCarron. If you guys know more, then I'm willing to listen and watch.

I mean, he averaged 22 pass attempts per game. Michigan rarely threw the ball. 

9 hours ago, armsteeld said:

Those draft twitter heads take turns trying to turn pumpkins into carriages. I'm not a big Michigan watcher but what I've seen is underwhelming. He has all these good WR prospects yet doesn't do much with them. I see a lesser AJ McCarron. If you guys know more, then I'm willing to listen and watch.

DND before the 6th round, my opinion.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, armsteeld said:

He has all these good WR prospects yet doesn't do much with them.

That doesn’t mean they were good. The big question mark going into, and in season, was would the WRs be good enough to win matchups when they needed to. Roman Wilson was the only guy consistently able to do that. 

I watched more JJM to try to see it, and he’s got clean footwork, processes well and quickly, gets the ball out quickly. 

• Like 1

I think McCarthy is fine as a 2nd round QB.  Someone may trade up into the very end of the 1st to get that option year but too many questions that can't be answered by film.  I put him and Penix in the same tier.

19 hours ago, Cbrunn said:

Go out and pay Cushenberry , centers aren't that expensive compared to a more premium position

Draft a young CB to go next to JPJ

I agree with getting an upgrade at Center.  However, you still have to fix the position long term. Cushenberry and Biadasz would be a stop-gaps until a JPP or Frazier type would be ready to take over, plus provide security/  Mason Cole is a great teammate, but his on field play regressed badly and he was at times a liability. 

19 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think we'd be having the same talks we are now if we sign Cush or Biadasz. Neither of them are that big of improvements over Cole. 

I think you sign one, but as stated above, you have to draft your future franchise Center.

16 hours ago, Ward4HOF said:

Honestly...(and I'm sure I'll change my thinking at least 20 times before the draft)...as of right now, I think the Steelers' top target should be Brock Bowers, as I've read that Artie Smith often employs 2- and 3-TE sets, and Bowers is one of those 'generational' talents at his position, and there are no other prospects close to his talent level. 

He is but, is just not going to help this team win with their other priorities being ignored.  I know you want to go for BPA, but getting a CB1B, CB3, Center, OT, DL, and WR3, are all things that would better help the Steelers than a receiving TE.

We also get the bonus of his former collegiate positional partner being on the Steelers, as well.  Problem is, will he last long enough to be traded up for a reasonable package.

Outside of that, I believe there are 3 OC prospects that would likely be better long-term than any of the healthy OC FA prospects.  Cushenberry has improved over the last season, but was that just a one-off?

I think Cush or Tyler are better fits than Mason. I don't think you are signing these guys to be the future, just the present until the future develops.

Also, as everyone here is aware, we need an upgrade at NT/DT, and at RT, to push Jones to LT.

The good thing is that those positions look deep and the bigger NG/DT types should be there round four where the Steelers have two picks.

Rarely, do our positional needs (TE isn't a 'need', just a great opportunity that IMO would improve our Offense immensely), coincide with the 'strength' positions in the draft.

I don't think a TE improves the offense anywhere near as much as a OT and Center.  I would prefer a blocking TE to be TE3. You should be able to get one of those types as a free agent or in round 6 or 7. Out of  Muth, Washington, Conner, and Williams only Mt. Washington can block well. Conner will probably move to H-back/FB. 

Rarely are there multiple, early-and-middle-round draftable prospects at NT that are stout, and both large (320+) and agile enough to fit our D. 

NG are typically not top prospects.  Teams seem to value DT's much more and they are making the big $$$ now. I have always been a fan of the NG because I still think you need to be able to stop the run consistently.

My favorite right NG prospect right now is Myles Murphy  from North Carolina 6'4 320. 

Justin Roger Auburn 6'2 335

Jordan Jefferson LSU 6'3 325

Khristian Boyd Northern Iowa 6'2 320

None of these guys will be early draft picks.  There is some meat on the bone there and at DT and 5-Tech I like Logan Lee Iowa 6'5 285

We consistently try to 'fit' less than ideal body size/shape into that position--this year's draft class is different.

There looks like there is talent at 1 Tech, 3 Tech, and 5 Tech guys along the DL. 

Also, RT prospects abound in this draft class, which is also somewhat unusual...

I think you can find really good quality there within the first three rounds.

One could also argue, that this draft is rich in developmental QB prospects, if we want to bring one in to push Mason/Pickett.

I think unless you get lucky with a Brady or Purdy, you need to get a franchise QB.  They QB's take time to develop.  Peyton and Patrick took off year two, but both of them are HOF talent. Many sit or take three to four years to come into their own. I would get a veteran to back those two. Despite the issues this team went 10-7.  Get some consistency in the trenches on both sides of the ball and some guys who can cover. The Steelers don't have elite QB talent, but should be able to win with "good" QB play. Everyone wants great, but the 49'ers got to the big dance without "great" QB play. It can be done if you have tough interior play and consistent QB play.  

And while there appears to not be 'top-shelf' Edge guys, or CBs, I think the draft is fairly deep at those positions.

I may be looking at this draft through Black-and-gold' glasses, but to me, this draft class sets up well for us...

I agree. I just don't think a receiving TE would help this team as much as a mauling Center and OT.

16 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

All I know is what I've heard from fans, which I know is not the best, but a lot of Broncos fans complain about Cush. I loved him coming out of LSU, but from what I've heard he's been a disappointment. Maybe he's a late bloomer?

I've heard the same.  However, I believe Cush is an upgrade over Mason and we need an insurance policy there.As much as I like Mason the teammate, I don't like his on-field consistency. The Steelers have ignored the Center position for years now. I had been saying to draft and develop a guy when Pouncey was getting up in age.  I certainly don't claim to know it all or anything, I certainly have constructively criticized the Steelers for the past several years for not addressing the trenches. The game is still won in the trenches and you have to be able to block and tackle. Everyone is enamored by passing and coverage.  Some of the games the Steelers have lost has been because they have been beaten in the trenches and others because they were out-schemed coached,  You can often eliminate out scheme by simply beating the guys in front of you. Debatable point, but football is still a physical game. Save the politics about hitting the QB and hitting too hard.   🙄

Really good discussion and points made here by many. I definitely enjoyed reading these comments.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I think McCarthy is fine as a 2nd round QB.  Someone may trade up into the very end of the 1st to get that option year but too many questions that can't be answered by film.  I put him and Penix in the same tier.

Definitely a fair take. What is your opinion on the Justin Herbert comp? Not in play styles, but how Herbert was “hidden” in college similar to McCarthy. There were plenty of questions about Herbert coming out. It easy to use hindsight and say “Herbert is a lot more gifted/talented” than McCarthy but people weren’t really hyping Herbert up like that, he was thought of as sort of a consolation for the team who missed out on Burrow and Tua. 

Disclaimer I have not watched McCarthy outside of the 3-4 Michigan games I watched live the season where it seemed like every time I looked up it was another chunk run play. 

41 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Definitely a fair take. What is your opinion on the Justin Herbert comp? Not in play styles, but how Herbert was “hidden” in college similar to McCarthy. There were plenty of questions about Herbert coming out. It easy to use hindsight and say “Herbert is a lot more gifted/talented” than McCarthy but people weren’t really hyping Herbert up like that, he was thought of as sort of a consolation for the team who missed out on Burrow and Tua. 

Disclaimer I have not watched McCarthy outside of the 3-4 Michigan games I watched live the season where it seemed like every time I looked up it was another chunk run play. 

Herbert was in a gimmicky offense.  Not as bad as Tennessee's offense but in the same boat.  It is hard to judge QBs from gimmicky offenses.  i would also say the Herbert has been the media darling in the NFL.  He has arm talent and elevates his team but has not show that he is as special as many talking heads have made him out to be.

For all of the college QBs, you have to ignore the stats and watch the film.  Problem with McCarthy is that he was on such a good team that he was rarely asked to do much.  We have not really seen him under pressure.  Most of his passes are to wide open checkdowns.  Does he make the pass?  Yes.  Has a much better showing then Penix in accuracy and consistency.  It is enough of the unknown to push him into the 2nd tier IMHO.

Edited by jebrick

2 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I don’t think it is. 🤷‍♂️

Gimmicky offenses are rarely throwing into tight windows.  I would say almost never.  They rarely have more than 2 reads.  Both things a QB will have to do in the NFL and you have next to nothing on film.

1 minute ago, jebrick said:

Gimmicky offenses are rarely throwing into tight windows.  I would say almost never.  They rarely have more than 2 reads.  Both things a QB will have to do in the NFL and you have next to nothing on film.

You still have plenty to go off of. Is the ball being put in catch and run situation, what’s the footwork like, what’s the mechanics, are they moving on from what’s not there, can they identify the right things presnap and pre-motion. 

And your MVP came from a gimik offense. The best QB in the NFL came from one. Josh Allen came from a run heavy offense. 

I’m sorry but when you scout you can’t use the offense someone plays in as a tool of determining the players ability. You have to look at what they do within the structure of the play. Reason why so many air raid QBs in NCAA couldn’t get drafted is they have terrible footwork, threw lollipops, struggled throwing to the wide side of the field. 

This makes me think back to the whole Manziel/Evans debate. Everyone said take Manziel high because it’s a pro offense and he does all the things you are saying you can’t see in a gimmick offense - I was on the train Manziel would bust and Evens would be great because all those good Manziel played were finished by Evans making a spectacular catch, despite being open sooner. 

19 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Herbert was in a gimmicky offense.  Not as bad as Tennessee's offense but in the same boat.  It is hard to judge QBs from gimmicky offenses.  i would also say the Herbert has been the media darling in the NFL.  He has arm talent and elevates his team but has not show that he is as special as many talking heads have made him out to be.

For all of the college QBs, you have to ignore the stats and watch the film.  Problem with McCarthy is that he was on such a good team that he was rarely asked to do much.  We have not really seen him under pressure.  Most of his passes are to wide open checkdowns.  Does he make the pass?  Yes.  Has a much better showing then Penix in accuracy and consistency.  It is enough of the unknown to push him into the 2nd tier IMHO.

Appreciate the response and analysis. I would argue the one thing McCarthy has proven, from what I’ve seen anyways, is that he can make the tight window throws. He had a handful or more against Ohio State and Washington. He impressed me in spurts in both of those games, even though he still wasn’t asked to do much in either. But when a play needed to be made he delivered. That is why I am buying into the theory that if he was asked to do more he could have expanded on those plays. I would easily have him over Penix fwiw.

In regards to Herbert I think we will see him reach his full potential under Harbaugh. I saw a stat that showed Herbert is like 28-6 when his defense holds the other team below 28 points, which is insane if true.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

With such a strong take I would be interested to hear your reasoning as to why. 

I just mean for the Steelers given their needs and the low ceiling on that player. I am sure he will go higher, but he’s a JAG to me and I wouldn’t want to take him until he’s a really exceptional value, like in the 6th. It’s not an overall draft value assessment, I should say.