Steelers 2024 NFL Draft Prospects

11 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

Will ONwenu be a good C in Smith's offence?  People are saying how good JPJ will be in general, and I expect the eagles to draft him.

I look at it and think 2 OL this year and to go with what you ask:

if they get Onwenu in UFA, then get RT in the draft

if they get RT in UFA (Brown) then get C in the draft

we don't want or need  throw aways and fringe players on the OL anymore.  It's time to get Legit top tier type players to complete the OL

Whats the expected salary for  Onwenu? I would expect the cap space will be available. 

I was wrong about Onwenu playing Center. What's is the obsession with Trent Brown? He's a 30 year old heavier RT with borderline weight issues. I think you can get better players in the draft. Spotrac didn't have a market value but '23 salary was 6.5 million.

4 hours ago, armsteeld said:

I was wrong about Onwenu playing Center. What's is the obsession with Trent Brown? He's a 30 year old heavier RT with borderline weight issues. I think you can get better players in the draft. Spotrac didn't have a market value but '23 salary was 6.5 million.

Brown or decent vet RT - because RD1 is JPJ in this example thats all. 

Ideally they opt for  OT and C in RD1, RD2 but if UFA can net a solid RT, that helps free up a draft spot. I still think Sneed should be top priority,  and of course C

Maybe Spencer Anderson will be decent at RT,  but we KNOW cole is done at C so the idea of JPJ in RD1 makes sense more than it did a while ago.  Wouldn't shock me if the eagles move up to get JPJ either.

4 hours ago, armsteeld said:

what about if they miss on JPJ and SVP and Frazier, they move Daniels to C and Onwenu for OG signing?

new C and OT, thats a must

Most fans want a Tackle or Center in round 1. What is another major need for our defense? Safety. There are primarily 2 guys I'm looking at. I see Cooper Dejean as that Nickle/Slot defender. Could be a solid pick with Dejean but I like ball hawks. There's one in this class who gets no love.

Minnesota Safety Tyler Nubin is that dude. Standing 6'2 weighing 210, puts him big enough to cover TEs but his skillset as a Single High Safety is mesmerizing. His range is similar to Justin Simmons but he seems faster. He is constant running to the ball and that mentality has led to many tips and overthrows that he turned into interceptions. Nubin also plays well near the LoS and will lay the wood on anyone getting in his way. Last season he was tentative in a game or two I watched but he's changed. Safety was another spot hit hard by injuries and poor play last season. Nubin is a playmaker who can be impact performer from day 1. Is he worthy of pick 20? I say yes even though many will throws tomatoes at me. My cousin, CB Justin Walley, plays with Nubin and hopefully he will enter the draft next year. Minnesota produces good DB prospects.

1 hour ago, armsteeld said:

Most fans want a Tackle or Center in round 1. What is another major need for our defense? Safety. There are primarily 2 guys I'm looking at. I see Cooper Dejean as that Nickle/Slot defender. Could be a solid pick with Dejean but I like ball hawks. There's one in this class who gets no love.

Minnesota Safety Tyler Nubin is that dude. Standing 6'2 weighing 210, puts him big enough to cover TEs but his skillset as a Single High Safety is mesmerizing. His range is similar to Justin Simmons but he seems faster. He is constant running to the ball and that mentality has led to many tips and overthrows that he turned into interceptions. Nubin also plays well near the LoS and will lay the wood on anyone getting in his way. Last season he was tentative in a game or two I watched but he's changed. Safety was another spot hit hard by injuries and poor play last season. Nubin is a playmaker who can be impact performer from day 1. Is he worthy of pick 20? I say yes even though many will throws tomatoes at me. My cousin, CB Justin Walley, plays with Nubin and hopefully he will enter the draft next year. Minnesota produces good DB prospects.

I like Nubin. I wouldn't draft him on rd one. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mwalker said:

I like Nubin. I wouldn't draft him on rd one. 

Why not? Instant starter ability. Scheme versatile. Solid tackler. Good speed. Good size. OT isn't as big an issue as what many feel. Center is weak but can be slightly protected by the Guards. Gimme a stud Safety, baby!

24 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

Why not? Instant starter ability. Scheme versatile. Solid tackler. Good speed. Good size. OT isn't as big an issue as what many feel. Center is weak but can be slightly protected by the Guards. Gimme a stud Safety, baby!

I think the value is off despite liking the player. 

We’re a team that really needs FA to hit. We got enough holes that all make sense in the sim games. C, RT, CB, ILB, S, heck even DL all make sense early. 

I also disagree on the OT not being a big issue. It is. It’s just deep enough that you  don’t have to force a pick there early. 

Guards can only cover for C so much. Cole is ok as a backup but his snapping issues can’t be covered. When the NT is over him at the snap we know the play is a lost play. I rewatched some of his Ari and Minny plays and it looks like 2022 was not what he normally is. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

I think the value is off despite liking the player. 

We’re a team that really needs FA to hit. We got enough holes that all make sense in the sim games. C, RT, CB, ILB, S, heck even DL all make sense early. 

I also disagree on the OT not being a big issue. It is. It’s just deep enough that you  don’t have to force a pick there early. 

Guards can only cover for C so much. Cole is ok as a backup but his snapping issues can’t be covered. When the NT is over him at the snap we know the play is a lost play. I rewatched some of his Ari and Minny plays and it looks like 2022 was not what he normally is. 

The pairing of Arthur Smith and Kenny Pickett seems to dictate to me that we have to be dominant in running the ball and with play action. Moore is a good run blocker at LT, weak in pass protection, so it follows that center is the most important position to draft high. To the point above, I believe our guards will look more dominant. The middle of the line, if weak, will fail this scheme. JPJ or bust? 

Edited by rlon

1 minute ago, rlon said:

The pairing of Arthur Smith and Kenny Pickett seems to dictate to me that we have to be dominant in running the ball and with playa iron. Moore is a good run blocker at LT, a weak pass blacker, so it is clear that center is the most important position to draft high. To the point above, I believe our guards will look more dominant. The middle of the line, if weak, will fail this scheme. JPJ or bust? 

Moore should be done at LT, and it likely means that's a wrap on his NFL career without being willing to go to OG.  He cannot play the RT position.  He's been bad at it, the team ahs had him try to work there and it hasn't gone well.  

It's not JPJ or bust.  There's a few good FA options like Cushenberry, James, and Williams.  JPJ is really riding the high of the only one in the senior bowl right now, but I expect after the combine Fazier will regain some traction and SVP will bounce back too.  That give 6 options of players that you can look at in the C position.

I think regardless of the QB bringing in Smith means a desire to run the ball more and better than we have been.  The run game has lacked creativity ever since Haley left.  For a long time the Steelers inside trap play was the bread and butter play for a long time, but ever since Fitchner and Canada took over we have no running play or pass play that you know is your bread and butter that will get you 4-6 yards with no problem.  I really believe that is the biggest thing Smith can and will do for us.  Have some bread and butter easy to run plays that you really feel like can get you yards and spark something when you need it.  Run the inside trap and get 6 yards, 2&4 run PA off the inside trap look, and no matter who the QB is you should be able to move it at least into a 3rd and short.

15 minutes ago, rlon said:

The pairing of Arthur Smith and Kenny Pickett seems to dictate to me that we have to be dominant in running the ball and with play action. Moore is a good run blocker at LT, weak in pass protection, so it follows that center is the most important position to draft high. To the point above, I believe our guards will look more dominant. The middle of the line, if weak, will fail this scheme. JPJ or bust? 

I'm in agreement with most of this. however, I don't think JPJ is the only starting quality C in the draft. He's the best, IMO, but I think Frazier and SVP are probably starters by the end of their rookie year. There's another guy too, but I can't think of him off the top of my head. 

::EDIT:: I will add that I think a replacement for Moore should definitely be a big need. I'm not sure he's anything more than JAG, and I think he's holding back the line. Not as much as Cole, but he's definitely the 2nd worst. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I'm in agreement with most of this. however, I don't think JPJ is the only starting quality C in the draft. He's the best, IMO, but I think Frazier and SVP are probably starters by the end of their rookie year. There's another guy too, but I can't think of him off the top of my head. 

They think Barton from Duke can kick into C.  Personally after the Kendrick Green failure (and really I think that's not on having actual someone for him to learn from) I would shy away from it and someone who's an experience snapper of the ball who's called out protections before.

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

They think Barton from Duke can kick into C.  Personally after the Kendrick Green failure (and really I think that's not on having actual someone for him to learn from) I would shy away from it and someone who's an experience snapper of the ball who's called out protections before.

That's my take on Barton as well. I wouldn't be opposed to taking him, but I don't want to hand him the keys day 1. 

1 minute ago, MOSteelers56 said:

That's my take on Barton as well. I wouldn't be opposed to taking him, but I don't want to hand him the keys day 1. 

I think he's a target for the Eagles.  They have Jurgens and Dickerson who have played C in college and are likely to move back, then Barton can be a G.

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

Can Barton play tackle? I get this real Vera-Tucker vibe with him. Like, they don’t know where he fits because of measurables, but he’s a lot better than people think, wherever he does…

EDIT:: I will add that I think a replacement for Moore should definitely be a big need. I'm not sure he's anything more than JAG, and I think he's holding back the line. Not as much as Cole, but he's definitely the 2nd worst. Vvvvv

I don’t disagree with this, was just coming from the context of our biggest need and in terms of the scheme. A left tackle obviously has to be an effective pass blocker. I just basically want a center who moves people, and while there are other starter quality guys, there is only one guy who will physically dominate even stout defenders (at list on the film). I just think that JPJ could make all the difference in the world. Sure, I am nervous about going OT later and being stuck with Moore longer…I think we all feel this way.

• Like 1