Steelers 2024 NFL Draft Prospects

16 minutes ago, rlon said:

Can Barton play tackle? I get this real Vera-Tucker vibe with him. Like, they don’t know where he fits because of measurables, but he’s a lot better than people think, wherever he does…

He played OT at Duke but he's got less than 33" arms and for someone 6'5" that puts him in almost the 0 percent tile for arm length.  He's an IOL at the NFL level.  He's also not great at using his hands, so his best thing is either get on the move and latch onto someone, or in line just be able to attack and leverage a guy.  He would struggle in space of pass blocking at the NFL when it's a hand battle out there.

Doing 3 mocks with 3 different perameters:

We sign a C and S in FA to be unquestioned starters with CB depth:

1:20 - Byron Murphy II DT Texas

2:51 - Ja'Lynn Polk WR Washington

3:84 - Blake Fisher OT Notre Dame

4:119 - Johnny Dixon CB Penn State

4:120 - Jaylan Ford LB Texas

6:196 - Joe Milton QB Tennessee

7:237 - Josh DeBerry CB Texas AM

We sign a RT and CB to be starters in FA and get DL depth:

1:20 - Cooper DeJean S Iowa

2:51 - Zach Frazier C West Virginia

3:84 - Xavier Legette WR South Carolina

4:119 - Trevin Wallace LB Kentucky

120 and 195 traded for 129 and 155

4:139 - MarShawn Lloyd RB USC

5:155 - Malik Mustapha S Wake Forest

7:237 - Joe Milton QB Tennessee

We sign a mid level C, RT, CB, S, LB where you feel good enough with the starter, but you aren't afraid to upgrade anyone.  I really look at this as the true BPA type draft which frees you up to do what you want:

1:20 - Nate Wiggins CB Clemson

2:51 - T'Vondre Sweat NT Texas

3:84 - Sedrick Van Pran C Georgia

4:119 - Jaden Hicks S Washington State

4:120 - Brenden Rice WR USC

6:196 - Tanner McLachlan TE Arizona

7:237 - Devin Leary QB Kentucky

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rlon said:

EDIT:: I will add that I think a replacement for Moore should definitely be a big need. I'm not sure he's anything more than JAG, and I think he's holding back the line. Not as much as Cole, but he's definitely the 2nd worst. Vvvvv

I don’t disagree with this, was just coming from the context of our biggest need and in terms of the scheme. A left tackle obviously has to be an effective pass blocker. I just basically want a center who moves people, and while there are other starter quality guys, there is only one guy who will physically dominate even stout defenders (at list on the film). I just think that JPJ could make all the difference in the world. Sure, I am nervous about going OT later and being stuck with Moore longer…I think we all feel this way.

Yeah, I’m with you on this. I think C is definitely the top need on our line. I want to draft an OT, though. That’s mostly because I think it’s stupid that we traded up for a prospect and yet we play the inferior player over that prospect at the more important position. 

3 hours ago, warfelg said:

We sign a mid level C, RT, CB, S, LB where you feel good enough with the starter, but you aren't afraid to upgrade anyone.  I really look at this as the true BPA type draft which frees you up to do what you want:

I like 2 the most and 3 the least only because I think Sweat goes lower than that.  #1 is tricky.  Murphy is the best IDL in the draft so big win there.  He is a 3 tech so take that for what it is worth. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

I’d like mock 1 the most if the Center and Safety FAs were near the top tier of available players to be signed signed. Secondarily, I would pray that Cory Trice was dipped in the same stuff as Wolverine. 

21 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Yeah, I’m with you on this. I think C is definitely the top need on our line. I want to draft an OT, though. That’s mostly because I think it’s stupid that we traded up for a prospect and yet we play the inferior player over that prospect at the more important position. 

Best receiver on the board and OT Christian Jones in the fourth? Could play out that way, after OC, DL and DB are selected in the first two days. I’d be happy with that, though I would love an elite RT.

The other option may end up being something like Mims and then Frazier in the first two rounds…big drop off at center from JPJ but still above the line?

Edited by rlon

2 minutes ago, rlon said:

Best receiver on the board and OT Christian Jones in the fourth? Could play out that way, after OC, DL and DB are selected in the first two days. I’d be happy with that, though I would love an elite RT.

I wouldn’t be opposed to that idea. I could see Jones as a Dan Moore level RT, which I’m fine with as long as Broderick Jones reaches his potential as a LT. Maybe we could trade Dan Moore for a 3rd or something in that scenario. But that could also be too many moving parts on the line for them to be comfortable with. Idk, I’d rather not pay Moore even average LT money. Give me a RT on a rookie deal. Just kind of a brain dump post. 

I do like with Chris Carter does mock draft Mondays as it makes for fun exercises with mock drafting.  His rule this week was defensive player required in round 1 and a max of 1 draft.  I landed on:

I like his CB/S versatility, especially as a safety.  He can cover TE's and is big enough.  He can stuff the run.  Athletic enough to cover in space well too.  I think he's the type of partner you want with Minkah to allow Minkah to stay in the single high.

2:51 - Traded with 4:120 to Carolina for 3:65, 4:101, 2025 3rd

3:65 - Sedrick Van Pran OC Georgia

There's three top centers in this draft and to pick up better value in the 4th while not moving down far, and getting a 2025 pick is amazing value and correct on the trade chart for value.  I think as we get back to the draft process though Van Pran will pick back up.

3:84 - Kiran Amegadjie OT Yale

He's going to be a specimen that gets attention in the combine process.  He's huge, moves well, and just destroys people in the run game.  He's Ivy League so the question is going to be how tested is he against the better pass rushers at RT.

4:101 - Trevin Wallace LB Kentucky

He's got good sideline to sideline ability, decent coverage.  He's going to need some training up but he could be a diamond in the rough.

4:119 - DeWayne Carter DT Duke

He's a 3T but who cares, when you are that dominate against the run we can use you.

6:196 - Sione Vaki S/RB Utah

This guys is just an athlete.  He's really going to be the most interesting guy in the draft.  Is he a RB of S.  Who knows.  But he's a guy you bring in, have him return kicks and cover kicks, and develop him for one role or the other along the way.

7:237 - Tory Taylor P Iowa

Punted at Iowa.  'Nuff Said.

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

I do like with Chris Carter does mock draft Mondays as it makes for fun exercises with mock drafting.  His rule this week was defensive player required in round 1 and a max of 1 draft.  I landed on:

I like his CB/S versatility, especially as a safety.  He can cover TE's and is big enough.  He can stuff the run.  Athletic enough to cover in space well too.  I think he's the type of partner you want with Minkah to allow Minkah to stay in the single high.

There's three top centers in this draft and to pick up better value in the 4th while not moving down far, and getting a 2025 pick is amazing value and correct on the trade chart for value.  I think as we get back to the draft process though Van Pran will pick back up.

He's going to be a specimen that gets attention in the combine process.  He's huge, moves well, and just destroys people in the run game.  He's Ivy League so the question is going to be how tested is he against the better pass rushers at RT.

He's got good sideline to sideline ability, decent coverage.  He's going to need some training up but he could be a diamond in the rough.

He's a 3T but who cares, when you are that dominate against the run we can use you.

This guys is just an athlete.  He's really going to be the most interesting guy in the draft.  Is he a RB of S.  Who knows.  But he's a guy you bring in, have him return kicks and cover kicks, and develop him for one role or the other along the way.

I like this draft a lot. Wallace looks like he could be a good solid LB for a lot of years. I think Van Pran might be really good too. He worries me more than JPJ, but I think he's a steal that late. We might be seeing some prospect fatigue for SVP. I might be higher on DeJean at CB than you. I think he could be a really good player anywhere in the secondary. As a big slot, chess piece or as an outside CB. He kind of reminds me of a more explosive Minkah coming out. Give me that any day of the week and let us all argue about his best position. 

Sedrick Van Pran is off my draft board. The more film I watched I noticed him missing blocks, whiffing against blitzers, being put on his ***, slipping off blocks, not getting any push or movement, etc..., If he played OT, all these flaws would be easily visible but playing IOL, he gets plenty of help from his Guards. So disappointing how bad his film is.

Amarius Mims had the same surgery as Kenny Pickett (tight-rope ankle surgery). That and constantly aggravating it, caused Mims to miss so much playtime last season. It was really hard to get a good feel for his game. Some he looked amazing while other times he looked like Chuks Okorafor. Due to the value of that position, Mims is too much of an unknown for me so I'm out on him too.

Charles Turner is very athletic. That is his best attribute. See Van Pran analysis.

Zach Frazier is one of the few Centers that I saw get pancaked by a defender. Penn ST game and the DT locked his arms out and perfectly pancaked Frazier. Too many plays where Frazier is chasing his blocks. He is NOT athletic at all! He looks and plays small. Maybe I don't know what to look for in an OL but I'm out on Frazier. 

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

I like the draft but...

Vaki is gong to show well at the combine and go higher than 6th rounds.

Too man clubs need a Center.  i do no think the top tier centers fall out of the 2nd.

9 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I like the draft but...

Vaki is gong to show well at the combine and go higher than 6th rounds.

Too man clubs need a Center.  i do no think the top tier centers fall out of the 2nd.

He really shouldn't.  He's not good enough at either RB or S to be a lock in those positions.  He was kinda used like a "go make a play" guy rather than having to worry about actual assignments.  He's going to have to learn a lot of things to be more than a ST player.