Steelers 2024 NFL Draft Prospects

6 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

There has literally been research done on this and it’s been proven year over a year that a high TPRR and YPRR is a strong positive indicator for WRs. If you don’t like stats that show a WRs efficiency and ability to get open and “earn” targets, that’s fine.

Yup.  like here’s what it made me do.  I feel in love with Franklin through the process and he’s likely to go high-mid 2nd.  Well Thrash should be there in the 4th.  Made me re-look at his tape.  He gives you similar output but costs you less.  I would take Thrash in the 4th over Franklin in the 2nd, and that opens up the 2nd rounder to be used on a C who would be there, opening up the 1st to BPA.

Decisions like that can have such a big impact on your overall team building construction and that’s why this data is out there.  Allows teams to understand more about a player.  Like I said early on, it made me look at the trio of Corley, Polk, McConkley again.  Why are Corley and Polk putting up such big numbers. 

McConkley, 30 catches, 478 yards

Corley, 79 catches, 984 yards

Polk, 69 catches, 1159 yards

So something I came away with that is that Corley was used to catch a lot of short passes and was expected to create for himself.  Polk was able to create for himself, and likely had help because Odunze was able to get deep easily.  McConkley, despite having some good options on that team with him, struggled to convert against single coverage.  

So I went back, rewatched tape again, and this is what I came away with:

Corley does remind me of poor mans Deebo Samuel.

Polk comes away so much like AJ Brown.

McConkley is, honestly, Ryan Switzer.

Yet McConkley is being talked about as a possible 1st rounder.

• Like 1

Not a big fan of Corley. Can he win on the outside like Deebo in the NFL? Yes Deebo is a menace with the ball in his hands and that is his superpower but even without the YAC stuff he would still be a very good WR. I saw someone compare Corley to Laviska Shenault and I can’t get it out of my head.

17 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Not a big fan of Corley. Can he win on the outside like Deebo in the NFL? Yes Deebo is a menace with the ball in his hands and that is his superpower but even without the YAC stuff he would still be a very good WR. I saw someone compare Corley to Laviska Shenault and I can’t get it out of my head.

Corley was really inhibited by QB play. 

But TBH that point was more to prop up my boy in Polk. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigben07MVP said:

Possibly undrafted. What an idiot. 

I doubt that. Nobody hurt or anything, no reports of altercation. If there was any thought of taking him in the second though it makes that much less likely. It will depend on if teams had discipline concerns (eating, work ethic, play book learning, film study habits) or partying concerns, if they did this would reflect that and could put him on Do Not Draft lists or revisit later in the draft lists.

Edited by JustPlainNasty

5 minutes ago, JustPlainNasty said:

I doubt that. Nobody hurt or anything, no reports of altercation. If there was any thought of taking him in the second though it makes that much less likely. It will depend on if teams had discipline concerns (eating, work ethic, play book learning, film study habits) or partying concerns, if they did this would reflect that and could put him on Do Not Draft lists or revisit later in the draft lists.

I think with his weight concerns it creates a character/self control image. 

Unrelated but related:

https://x.com/jasrifootball/status/1776972471066927365?s=46&t=xd5QJpZuXv2k7qD0xqd6aA

JC Latham has a top 30 visit with the Titans. This one is interesting since their need is LT and he seems like a sure fire RT. I wonder if they are doing homework should someone want to move up. 

Theres been a few visits like that for all teams where the player is a reach for the spot but won’t make it to the next pick. Like I heard a rumor AZ like Fatanu so much they would consider him at 4 and AD Mitchell at 27. Like that doesn’t make sense. 

So all in all I think we are in for a WILD draft. 

1 hour ago, JustPlainNasty said:

You might be right. I just cannot comprehend doing something so dumb. You are one month away from the biggest day of your life, I would wrap myself in bubble wrap until draft day. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

JC Latham has a top 30 visit with the Titans. This one is interesting since their need is LT and he seems like a sure fire RT. I wonder if they are doing homework should someone want to move up. 

Theres been a few visits like that for all teams where the player is a reach for the spot but won’t make it to the next pick. Like I heard a rumor AZ like Fatanu so much they would consider him at 4 and AD Mitchell at 27. Like that doesn’t make sense. 

So all in all I think we are in for a WILD draft. 

Latham was supposed to have switched to LT but their freshman Proctor was someone sort of like Dan Moore. Latham stayed on the right side but has no issues playing LT. His technique, football intelligence, and on field play makes him a menace. One of the few Tackles I'd love in the first round.

2 hours ago, armsteeld said:

Latham was supposed to have switched to LT but their freshman Proctor was someone sort of like Dan Moore. Latham stayed on the right side but has no issues playing LT. His technique, football intelligence, and on field play makes him a menace. One of the few Tackles I'd love in the first round.

He and Jones, regardless of who is where, would form a punishing run blocking duo. 

12 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Rutgers CB Max Melton is visiting. 

He’d be really interesting. I don’t know if he’ll be available in the 3rd, but if he is, I’m all over that. He could start in the slot as a rookie, then bounce outside the year after. Or if our new CB(name is slipping me) proves to be good, keep Melton in the slot.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

He and Jones, regardless of who is where, would form a punishing run blocking duo. 

He’d be really interesting. I don’t know if he’ll be available in the 3rd, but if he is, I’m all over that. He could start in the slot as a rookie, then bounce outside the year after. Or if our new CB(name is slipping me) proves to be good, keep Melton in the slot.

He'll yeah to a great run blocking duo at tackle.

Melton is fast and physical, but I've seen some negative comments about his change of direction abilities. 

So, that WR chart, found something really interesting related to it. 

Brian Thomas Jr is in an interesting place there. Not a lot of targets against single coverage, and not a lot of depth, yet was one of the best deep ball production guys in the country last year. 

This is why charting like that is so cool. I went back to watch a game where BTJr performed really well. And, to me, I saw him beat a lot of zone deep and break out on two broken plays by Jayden. 

Of course for him you can maybe blame the Nabors effect for the lack, but I don’t buy that because with LSU you aren’t likely to single cover Nabors.