Free Agency 2024

“Man, at this point, they know I love Houston” Greenard said, via Aaron Wilson of KPRC. " I know I definitely want to come back, but as we know, that’s not up to me. At this point, I can’t do much more. I feel like I put my portfolio out there and closed that chapter and the rest will take care of itself. If they have me back, I’ll be 10 toes down, but if not, it’s just a game. I’ll definitely appreciate if this was the last time.”

Edited by lumberjackchris
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lumberjackchris said:
6 hours ago, ET80 said:

I honestly think he's retiring as a Buc. 

Ya, especially with Baker emerging as their QB more than likely. I think they lock both of them down.

They have a ton of dead cap coming off the books too from Tom Brady's old contract - so money isn't going to be an issue for 'em.

As far as targets at WR? Let's see how Jacksonville proceeds with Calvin Ridley. That trade from Atlanta came with some unique stipulations; if the Jags extended Ridley, the pick immediately converts to a 2nd.

Ridley had a solid year - good receptions, good yardage, not many TDs - but he's best considered a 1b WR, not the best in a "primary guy" situation. So, not only do the Jags have to consider how much to pay for him, but they have to decide whether or not they want to lose a 2nd in response. (The pick is currently a 3rd, on the condition that Ridley had a 1,000 season this year). 

If the Jags choose to keep the 2nd, the quick hitting Ridley would be a nice compliment to Nico and Tank.

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

They have a ton of dead cap coming off the books too from Tom Brady's old contract - so money isn't going to be an issue for 'em.

Supposed to have around $47M, but...

- Baker (QBs ain't cheap) let's say $15M as low end starting QB#  although they were in playoffs AND won a game

- Mike (wants to be paid like a top 10 WR... prolly) $20M

- AWII (likely franchised at SAF # of ~$16M) if he doesn't get tagged, try to sign homie (literally)

- Devin White  say $8M

- Wirfs needs a new deal as well

Might be kinda tight... ;)

But spotrac does breakdown how they could free about another $40M+ 

https://www.spotrac.com/news/nfc-south-2024-offseason-financials-2116/

Edited by jch1911

6 hours ago, jch1911 said:

Debbie Downer GIFs | Tenor

I am offering 3 years, $60M with $21M SB, $33M gtd (including 1st year salary).

That's top 10 WR $$$ (top 5 in AFC)

You better front load the mess out of that deal or its gonna cost us Nico when hes a free agent after next year. 

• Like 2

Why would we invest in Mike Evans?? Caserio's been great at finding WRs in the later rounds. I expect Hutchinson and Metchie to both take a significant step forward next season, and I would not be surprised to see us find another good WR on day 2 or 3 of this year's draft. If we continue to do what we've been doing at WR, we should be stocked up until the end of time. Honestly, I think next year's WR corps for the final 53 is more or less locked in at this point. Maybe there are 1 or 2 spots that could be up for grabs, obviously Metchie needs prove he can do it but.. spoiler alert, he can. Hutchinson too, I think, crazy good production in college. Pretty impressive rookie year. We're fuggn loaded. Also, remember Stroud should hypothetically improve along with those players, and the better he gets the better they should look too. 

If we're gonna break the bank, we should try and land Chris Jones. You simply cannot find players like that, and it's really hard to create that same effect with multiple players even. 

2 hours ago, PAtexansFAN_99 said:

If we're gonna break the bank, we should try and land Chris Jones. You simply cannot find players like that, and it's really hard to create that same effect with multiple players even. 

Yeah - Chris Jones (or Christian Wilkins) is my #1 want on the market. Xavier McKinney at S is my next coveted FA. One of the IOL from Miami and Ahkillo Witherspoon at CB would make this an ideal FA period.

WR might be best served as a rookie, FA dollars this season need to be used to retain talent and bring in impact players in spots of need. WR isn't really a need, per se - it's more of a want, but that just means you don't need a day one guy and can bring in a young toolsy guy to acclimate slowly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

WR isn't really a need, per se - it's more of a want

I am sorry to differ with you sir, but I believe obtaining another quality receiver is a top-2 need.  For instance, what if we can grab Tony Franklin or sign Calvin Ridley?  Then we can start one of them along with Nico and Tank with Metchie coming off the bench to provide quality (hopefully) depth.  CJ and our offense will be exponentially better!   Against Baltimore, Nico was the only WR that could get open.  Next year we get Tank back (hopefully) but we need another stud to put on the field to give us three LEGIT receivers.  

13 minutes ago, Heavy_Flow said:

I am sorry to differ with you sir, but I believe obtaining another quality receiver is a top-2 need.  For instance, what if we can grab Tony Franklin or sign Calvin Ridley?  Then we can start one of them along with Nico and Tank with Metchie coming off the bench to provide quality (hopefully) depth.  CJ and our offense will be exponentially better!   Against Baltimore, Nico was the only WR that could get open.  Next year we get Tank back (hopefully) but we need another stud to put on the field to give us three LEGIT receivers.  

How many teams have 3 legit WRs? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Heavy_Flow said:

Allow me to rephrase - WR is something that doesn't have to be addressed with premium FA dollars or draft picks. You're correct in stating that Nico was the only one in Baltimore, but both 2/3 were out for the year and your 4th guy (Robert Woods) was basically walking wounded. If you're down to your 5th/6th/7th WR (Hutch, Metchie, Sims) that sort of downturn is going to happen, and there's no real guarantee that whoever you pick up is going to stay healthy, y'know?

The one game where Collins, Dell and Brown (and Schultz, he's a big part of this) were at 100% was the TB game - and that's the game where Stroud went for 470/5, so it isn't as if the right components weren't on roster, they were just hurt. Right now, your WR room looks like Collins/Tank/Woods/Hutch/Metchie. You didn't need to add a top tier guy to this group, Noah Brown was enough to get the offense clicking in the right direction; Ideally, you can find another Brown, someone who showed signs of breaking out elsewhere, but can come in cheap and produce. Another option is drafting one on D2 of the draft - especially this year, where talent you'll find late would probably be considered better than 1st round guys last year.

CJ Stroud is a rare talent in that he elevates his surrounding cast. You don't need to find elite WRs, he takes good WRs and makes them look elite (Nico and Brown are prime examples). Use that to your advantage.

8 hours ago, lumberjackchris said:

How many teams have 3 legit WRs? 

To add to this - teams that have 3 legit WRs didn't really throw a ton of resources to get them. They trusted their scouting process and brought in early D2 guys to create their WR room. Seattle was Metcalf/Lockett for the last half decade or so, JSN was the recent addition - and that's less about bringing in 3 WRs, more about cutting Lockett (or trading Metcalf, who has been pretty much a malcontent lately). 

The GB WR room is all mid round rookies or 2nd year guys - only high draft pick in that group is Christian Watson, who isn't even the lead dog in that group. Ideally you build that way - Packers have made a habit of finding 2nd-5th round guys at the position because Aaron Rodgers (and now Jordan Love) can now elevate his guys. This has been their model since guys like Greg Jennings and Jordy Nelson were dominating secondaries as Packers.

San Fran is two WRs, Deebo and Aiyuk. I don't think Ray Ray McCloud or Ronnie Bell really move the needle. Ditto Tampa (Evans/Godwin and... Trey Palmer?)

Detroit's sort of fits (ARSB, Josh Reynolds and Jameson Williams) but Reynolds wasn't exactly a high priority FA, he fits that Noah Brown mold of underutilized in LA and outperforming expectations in Detroit.

The Rams sort of fit my idea the best - Cooper Kupp was a 3rd round pick who developed into an elite guy and Pukachu was a 5th round guy who absolutely nobody saw coming as an elite player. The Rams identified traits - great route running, high football IQ, great hands and good football character - and found guys that nobody else was looking at, trusting their evaluation over the names available. 

THAT's what I want. Find the gems on day 2/3, use your premium assets (picks and FA dollars) to bring in rare talents at other positions of need. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, jch1911 said:

Debbie Downer GIFs | Tenor

I am offering 3 years, $60M with $21M SB, $33M gtd (including 1st year salary).

That's top 10 WR $$$ (top 5 in AFC)

I'd offer that to Nico as an extension before he hits the market. Lock him up for a few years and bet on him outplaying that deal.

I don't know where on this sub - but somebody ( @jch1911) mentioned AJ Dillon as a RB of note. I actually think he could have a Singletary-esque run here, and might actually pair up well with the quick hitting Singletary as a thunder and lightning combo. 

Dillon is a FA, and after the season he had this year - he's probably looking for a Nick Caserio special, that one year deal for a few bucks more than league minimum. If Singletary could be had at 1/$2.75, Dillon might command a similar amount. 

• Like 1