Free Agency 2024

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I’m guessing we won’t resign rankins unless it’s at a discount. I really expect a DT in round 1 or 2 

I really liked how Rankins played last year. I'm for bringing him back although his injury history bothers me. On the trade front supposedly Jonathan Allen is on the trade market. Would you trade for him if it cost a 2nd rd pick and you had to let Rankins/Greenard walk?

I probably would do the trade and re-sign Barnett and draft Darius or Chop Robinson.

played around with https://overthecap.com/calculator/houston-texans

Created $84million in cap space by
(1) trading WR Robert Woods (or cutting)
(2) restructuring Tunsil
(3) restructuring Howard

That was enough to add
(1) RB Saquan Barkley ($10M APY)
(2) IDL Madubuike ($16M APY)
(3) FS Xavier McKinney ($19M APY)

In addition to re-signing,
(4) TE Dalton Schultz ($10M APY)
(5) LB Blake Cashman ($7M APY)
(6) Edge Jon Greenard ($14M APY)
(7) bring back CB Shaquil Griffin ($3M APY)

With a solid draft class (deep threat WR, swing T, IDL depth, LB depth, CB depth) & vets eager to play in Htown for Demeco... we on to sumthin ;);) 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Kirby Drive said:

Rumor is Jonathan Allen is available.

Oooh, his cap hit is $21mm ($23mm in 2025) and his production is really declining. Maliek Collins or Sheldon Rankins are seemingly better for less of a cap hit.

If Washington is looking for a late round pick (6th or 7th) I'd think about it. Commanders are ridding themselves of bad contracts and Allen is a bad contract.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jch1911 said:

played around with https://overthecap.com/calculator/houston-texans

Created $84million in cap space by
(1) trading WR Robert Woods (or cutting)
(2) restructuring Tunsil
(3) restructuring Howard

That was enough to add
(1) RB Saquan Barkley ($10M APY)
(2) IDL Madubuike ($16M APY)
(3) FS Xavier McKinney ($19M APY)

In addition to re-signing,
(4) TE Dalton Schultz ($10M APY)
(5) LB Blake Cashman ($7M APY)
(6) Edge Jon Greenard ($14M APY)
(7) bring back CB Shaquil Griffin ($3M APY)

With a solid draft class (deep threat WR, swing T, IDL depth, LB depth, CB depth) & vets eager to play in Htown for Demeco... we on to sumthin ;);)

All of these are the right names - Shaq Griffin is iffy for me, would rather keep Desmond King - but everyone else is ideal.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lumberjackchris said:

Eagles just gave permission for Edge Hassan Reddick to seam a trade 

He wants to get BIG money - I doubt he's going to even approach a team unless he's getting a "highest paid Edge in football" sort of deal agreed to before he agree.

• Like 2

We don't have big money, it just seems like we do. We have 30 free agents on our team and 8 of them started 10 or more games this season. That means we are pretty well broke or we are signing a couple big contracts and trying to hit on a bunch of 1 year deals again. 

13 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

We don't have big money, it just seems like we do. We have 30 free agents on our team and 8 of them started 10 or more games this season. That means we are pretty well broke or we are signing a couple big contracts and trying to hit on a bunch of 1 year deals again. 

We're top 6 right now in most cap space. We have a few cuts we can make to get a ton more space like Robert Woods if we really needed more room. I expect us to sign 1 big FA and then fill the rest of the roster through FA and the draft. I know Christian Wilkins is the big FA target in FA and would replace Rankins. I wouldn't be surprised if on RB we look at a few guys  like Pollard, Swift, and Jacobs if we don't sign Motor. I think guys like Barkley and a few others will price themselves out of what we're willing to pay for RB and we're content with motor if he comes back. I know it's early, but I think we let Nelson walk and draft a CB early (round 1 or 2) as it's a way to get cheaper at the position.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, LORK88 said:

I know Christian Wilkins is the big FA target in FA and would replace Rankins.

This would make me incredibly happy - not only is this guy a disruptive presence inside, he's legitimately one of the funniest guys in football:

"I'm not scared of you!"

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LORK88 said:

We're top 6 right now in most cap space. We have a few cuts we can make to get a ton more space like Robert Woods if we really needed more room. I expect us to sign 1 big FA and then fill the rest of the roster through FA and the draft. I know Christian Wilkins is the big FA target in FA and would replace Rankins. I wouldn't be surprised if on RB we look at a few guys  like Pollard, Swift, and Jacobs if we don't sign Motor. I think guys like Barkley and a few others will price themselves out of what we're willing to pay for RB and we're content with motor if he comes back. I know it's early, but I think we let Nelson walk and draft a CB early (round 1 or 2) as it's a way to get cheaper at the position.

Rookie CBs typically struggle in the NFL. It would hurt us in the short term to let Nelson go for a rookie. 

3 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Rookie CBs typically struggle in the NFL. It would hurt us in the short term to let Nelson go for a rookie. 

I think you could supplement a rookie CB with another low cost vet coming in to platoon - finding another Steven Nelson in essence, Nelson wasn't highly regarded as a CB despite his starting experience with KC and Pitt. Keep in mind, the Texans was his 4th team, he was a journeyman who fit the scheme well and played beyond his reputation in Houston for both DeMeco and Lovie - there are a few FAs who fit this mold and come in cheaper than what Nelson is projected to sign for this year.

Akhillo Witherspoon is the sort of guy I'm thinking about...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lumberjackchris said:

Lions and St. Brown are discussing an extension around 25mil/yr. That looks to be what Nico's value will be IMO. 

Damn, trying to avoid that number - Amon Ra has a few years of that sort of production, hopefully that can be factored into our valuation, which would bring Nico down to the $18-20mm range.

I honestly think this needs to be the first order of business, extend those who are slated to hit the market in 2025 - with Nico as priority one.