Free Agency 2024

2 minutes ago, PAtexansFAN_99 said:

I'd trade a 2nd and throw in a next year 4th just to make sure we got him. Sign me up!

I think I am now of the mindset of acquiring a vet stop gap / mentor (Emmanuel Moseley or re-signing Shaq Griffin on a 2 year smallish deal) and moving up to get a foundational CB.

1-23 + 2025 2nd should be enough to get us into the 1-14 to 1-16 range.  Cooper & / or  Quinyon should be available - preferably Quinyon.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, PAtexansFAN_99 said:

The money doesn't really matter because good players cost money no matter how you get them, that's not an extra cost of trading necessarily, and picks are lottery tickets. Sneed, and guys like that, are sure things. I'd trade a scratch off for a bona fide baller any day. 

I guess this logic makes sense, but I don't like trading/paying for guys who are sort of past their peak and heading on the downside of their careers.

Reddick is 30, and realistically isn't playing a position that ages well beyond 33 - the production dropoff is coming, and I don't want to be the one holding the bag when that day comes (Father Time is undefeated, with one stalemate with TB). Paying him is guaranteeing you'll still be on the hook for him when he starts slowing down. He's also VERY undersized for the role of a DE, he's 240 lbs - he's Christian Harris' size, he spent the first half of his career between OLB/ILB. All of this considered: if Reddick found his way to free agency, I'd absolutely want to bring him in; It's giving up a premium pick that's going to bring in a cost controlled asset that should improve that gives me pause. I will trust our scouting and development plans in that respect. 

L'Jarius Sneed is 27, and plays a position that is much more forgiving physically, so I'd be much more inclined to give up both picks and a new contract for him.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I’ll trust Lork but everyone in the world thinks we are signing Barkley 

Ditto. One side or the other is going to buckle in some capacity. Nice to be on this side of the chat vs a Rex Burkhead signing, though.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I’ll trust Lork but everyone in the world thinks we are signing Barkley 

I think Barkley's price is going to come down and Lork will still be right, 

• Like 1

I just asked if we were still out on Saquon and they said yes. To be clear, it's not that we don't want Saquon, it's the price tag and what we can get for much less (Jacobs, Swift, Motor, Pollard). The two caveats: Saquon takes a massive pay cut to come to Houston or the RB market is still heavily depreciated. I still feel good that our big spend in FA will be on the DL.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, LORK88 said:

I just asked if we were still out on Saquon and they said yes. To be clear, it's not that we don't want Saquon, it's the price tag and what we can get for much less (Jacobs, Swift, Motor, Pollard). The two caveats: Saquon takes a massive pay cut to come to Houston or the RB market is still heavily depreciated. I still feel good that our big spend in FA will be on the DL.

The cap bump is actually telling me the opposite here - numbers are creeping upwards. Unless the math is based on cap percentage vs hard dollars, massive pay cut is unlikely.

So we are pretty set on offense outside of RB

CJ/Mills
RB/Pierce 
Nico/Hutch
Dell
Metchie
Schultz/Jordan
Tunsil
Green/Green
Juice/Patrerson
Shaq
Howard 

We need some depth still but I expect that to come from cheap free agents and perhaps a draft pick or two. This is assuming we cut woods and free up 5 million. I suppose if we can’t get a WR for 5 million to replace woods, we could keep him. 

it’s the defense that’s currently in shambles. We have so many guys unsigned over there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

it’s the defense that’s currently in shambles. We have so many guys unsigned over there. 

Yup - there are key pieces missing at all three levels. This needs to be the focal point of this off-season, not bringing in another WR.

RB is what it is, and the market works heavily in our favor - we're likely going to get a guy who can produce at an elite level for 1-2% of our cap. Anything else on that side of the ball is depth, you have producers who can play at a starter level (with a "wait and see" at LG). 

Defensively, we might not have enough to field a team. Will Anderson is going to continue to be an asset, Christian Harris is quietly developing into a great off ball LB and Derek Stingley Jr is a great piece when he's on the field, but who else? The team needs key pieces here - not just central guys to anchor this defense, but role players who fit - this defense needs a Shaq Mason, a Tytus Howard, a Jarrett Patterson, a Dalton Schultz, guys who do their job.

I see Maliek Collins in that mold, maybe. Jalen Pitre and Jimmie Ward need to stay healthy and improve overall. Outside of that? Kirk Hinesh isn't good, Henry To'o To'o is in need of a lot of improvement, Dylan Horton is still not heard from following his medical issues and I still don't believe Brandon Hill is a real person. 

Who is going to get the ball back for Stroud to play at his best?

• Like 1

Wilkins and Collins would be dynamic as our two DTs. If we brought back Greenard and Anderson on the outside, I’m not sure how you block that. 

problem is that with Greenard and Wilkins, we can’t afford a secondary that will be able to cover for more than 3 seconds. 

I would say at this point it’s either agree are or Wilkins with the other position being our 1st round pick. 

spend the money on a corner. Draft a linebacker in round 2. 

that’s our best bet.