Free Agency 2024

4 hours ago, ET80 said:

I think you could supplement a rookie CB with another low cost vet coming in to platoon - finding another Steven Nelson in essence, Nelson wasn't highly regarded as a CB despite his starting experience with KC and Pitt. Keep in mind, the Texans was his 4th team, he was a journeyman who fit the scheme well and played beyond his reputation in Houston for both DeMeco and Lovie - there are a few FAs who fit this mold and come in cheaper than what Nelson is projected to sign for this year.

Akhillo Witherspoon is the sort of guy I'm thinking about...

I really dont think Nelson is going to be that high of a price tag. I think we can get him for a 6-8 million range. He is getting old, I doubt we will get outbid. 

I wouldnt be shocked to see the titans cut Deandre Hopkins. He has a 17 million cap hit and just 7 million dead money. 

If that happens, he would be someone for the texans to look at. i think everyone who had issues with him are long gone. 

he still has juice left in the tank, would be playing with Stroud and a solid WR corp. He has the highest career earnings of any current WR in the league

It could be a good match for us 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I wouldnt be shocked to see the titans cut Deandre Hopkins. He has a 17 million cap hit and just 7 million dead money. 

If that happens, he would be someone for the texans to look at. i think everyone who had issues with him are long gone. 

he still has juice left in the tank, would be playing with Stroud and a solid WR corp. He has the highest career earnings of any current WR in the league

It could be a good match for us 

I don't think he and Ryans crossed paths as players - Ryans was gone by 2012 I think, DeAndre was drafted in 2013 - but I know Andre loved Nuk, so he's somebody who'd vouch for his character.

I think everyone in the fanbase would love a reunion at the right price.

6 hours ago, ET80 said:

I don't think he and Ryans crossed paths as players - Ryans was gone by 2012 I think, DeAndre was drafted in 2013 - but I know Andre loved Nuk, so he's somebody who'd vouch for his character.

I think everyone in the fanbase would love a reunion at the right price.

Count me out although if you had asked me last season, I'd have wanted him as WR1. That was before he donned a Titans uni and watched him duck passes over the middle. He seemed lethargic and disinterested to me. Part of that could be playing for the Titans and losing but I think he is clearly on the downside from what I observed. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

Anyone else with me in that I do not want anything to do with Saquon Barkley?  I'd much rather bring back Singletary and much cheaper.  He could be a 1000 yard back in this offense.  We can draft his compliment in the mid rounds too. 

I'd prefer Josh Jacobs, but I get this sentiment. Motor fits well though, if it's him plus a compliment - I wouldn't be too bothered.

I don't look at 1,000 as that magical benchmark anymore - realistically, that's a little over 55 yards a game with a 17 game season (58.8, to be exact). 1,300ish is the benchmark with about 500 (30/game) in receiving yards is an absolute winner for me, and while I think Motor can hit that... I'm much more confident that Jacobs or Barkley can hit that.

RB is a position that can be rotated on a yearly basis, the cost of Jacobs/Barkley over Motor would be nominal - a few million bucks more but a much better player overall. Next year, rinse and repeat with the likes of Aaron Jones, Chuba Hubbard, Rhamondre Stevenson, Alexander Mattison, Najee Harris, etc. 

Unless you have a McCaffery-type on deck, you can keep costs low by using this RB market to your advantage. Guys are cheap and plentiful on the market, look for specific skillsets you need on the position and skip paying high on anyone.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, ET80 said:

I'd prefer Josh Jacobs, but I get this sentiment. Motor fits well though, if it's him plus a compliment - I wouldn't be too bothered.

I don't look at 1,000 as that magical benchmark anymore - realistically, that's a little over 55 yards a game with a 17 game season (58.8, to be exact). 1,300ish is the benchmark with about 500 (30/game) in receiving yards is an absolute winner for me, and while I think Motor can hit that... I'm much more confident that Jacobs or Barkley can hit that.

RB is a position that can be rotated on a yearly basis, the cost of Jacobs/Barkley over Motor would be nominal - a few million bucks more but a much better player overall. Next year, rinse and repeat with the likes of Aaron Jones, Chuba Hubbard, Rhamondre Stevenson, Alexander Mattison, Najee Harris, etc. 

Unless you have a McCaffery-type on deck, you can keep costs low by using this RB market to your advantage. Guys are cheap and plentiful on the market, look for specific skillsets you need on the position and skip paying high on anyone.

Exactly, and Barkley is not CMC. Yes he's pretty talented, but not worth the investment. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lumberjackchris said:

Exactly, and Barkley is not CMC. Yes he's pretty talented, but not worth the investment. 

Jacobs isn't either, and I'm ultimately thinking of a two year deal with that 2nd year being a player option - so if Jacobs DOES void his deal, he's voiding it because he did perform in a McCaffery way. Then you can recalibrate - pay him or let him walk for the next guy looking to cash in with a similar deal.

• Like 1

The pendulum has swung so far in the "running backs are overvalued" direction that they've become undervalued. The projected deals for Jacobs/Barkley include such little guaranteed money, relatively, I wouldn't mind the Texans getting either. Now is the time to invest in Stroud's supporting cast as much as possible before you have to sign him to an extension. Maybe there is better value in drafting a running back, but also it's not guaranteed you hit on them either and it'd be a different thing if the Texans were strapped for cash - they have a ton of cap space. I'd rather pay a running back a little more over the next couple of years while you still can to get a proven back considering no deal is going to break the bank and mortgage future spending.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Marco79 said:

The pendulum has swung so far in the "running backs are overvalued" direction that they've become undervalued. The projected deals for Jacobs/Barkley include such little guaranteed money, relatively, I wouldn't mind the Texans getting either. Now is the time to invest in Stroud's supporting cast as much as possible before you have to sign him to an extension. Maybe there is better value in drafting a running back, but also it's not guaranteed you hit on them either and it'd be a different thing if the Texans were strapped for cash - they have a ton of cap space. I'd rather pay a running back a little more over the next couple of years while you still can to get a proven back considering no deal is going to break the bank and mortgage future spending.

I tend to agree. Using a rookie 4th round RB is a great cost saver when your paying your QB top 5 dollars but teams with rookie QBs are in a good spot to spend on RBs, if they are worth it. 

• Like 2