Free Agency 2024

So our strategy seems to be to leave cap room to roll over for next year when we have some of our own guys to extend. We also seem to be shooting for 3rd round picks. 

I am hopeful we will resign Nelson. none of the CBs we’ve signed so far are as good as him. 

we’ve added some depth on defense but still need starters. 

lots of work to do. Caserio has always been a low risk guy in FA and build through the draft so that appears to be the strategy still 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Caserio has always been a low risk guy in FA and build through the draft so that appears to be the strategy still 

And I am perfectly fine with this strategy. Not flashy in FA, but flashy FA teams rarely win.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jch1911 said:

Was coming to ask @LORK88 if he heard anything about Mixon... I realize it just happened tho

I think Aaron Jones goes to S. Oklahoma (Mike McCarthy) 

So we're competing with... DEN? CAR? NE? MN?  for the remaining RBs

No word on the Mixon interest just yet, I’ll let y’all know when I hear anything. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, LORK88 said:

No word on the Mixon interest just yet, I’ll let y’all know when I hear anything. 

I genuinely hope it's not Mixon. 

I know most are upset on our activity, but I do applaud our discipline in approaching these deals. We have numbers set, and we're not chasing after guys, that's going to look prudent in the long term. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

This is not a strong RB class, but I am convinced that its the least important of the 11 offensive positions. Maybe not the least important, but the easiest to replace and make due with. Its not like it was 20 years ago. 

A lot of teams are worried this is a weak draft class. If you look at some of the draft big boards, there really isn't anyone worth selecting until round 3. 

• Like 1

Updated Depth Chart:

QB: Stroud / Mills
RB: Peirce 
FB: Beck
WR: Nico / Woods
WR: Dell / Brown
WR: Metchie / Hutchinson
TE: Schultz / Jordan
T: Tunsil
G: Green / Green
C Juice / Patterson
G: Mason
T: Howard 

DE: Anderson / Sanders
DT: Collins / Hinish
DT: Fatukasi / Davis
DE: Autry / Horton
LB: Harris
LB: Shaair
LB: To'oto'o 
CB: Stingley
CB: Okudah / King
S: Pitre / Stewart
S: Ward 

If the season started today, we would be just fine. Autry is not a long term solution at DE, but he is good enough to play 65% of our snaps and most of our pass rushing. Shaair replaces Cashman and To'oto'o had 5 games where he played over 80% of our snaps, so naturally he should be counted on to take a jump. 

In the secondary we have replaced nelson with Okudah, but we could still bring back nelson. Thats a slight downgrade for sure, but not something that cant be overcome. 

We are in good shape. We will need some rookies to come in and compete for some spots. I wouldnt be shocked if we go DT and DE in the first 2 rounds. We might take a lineman in the 3rd, and in the 4th go RB and secondary.....or any combo of that. 

We also still have plenty of cap space to make some more moves and add some 1 year vets to our core group. 

Health is a big factor. We were uncharacteristically unhealthy last year, it was insane. We should have better luck this year. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, LORK88 said:

A lot of teams are worried this is a weak draft class. If you look at some of the draft big boards, there really isn't anyone worth selecting until round 3. 

I agree, if we wanted to, we could take whoever our number 1 RB is at the end of the 2nd round. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I agree, if we wanted to, we could take whoever our number 1 RB is at the end of the 2nd round. 

Braelon Allen or Jonathan Brooks right there and I think we're cooking, so long as we sign at least 1 (ideally 2) other backs in FA beforehand

Love it.  I'm guessing we are trading them one of our 7th rounders since he was going to get released anyway.  He fits our offense better than the Henry does.  I would still target a RB in the middle rounds to compliment him. 

Cap Experts,  how does this move affect our cap space?

• Like 1