Free Agency 2024

On 3/22/2024 at 8:48 AM, jch1911 said:

Love you, PD!  Don't think anybody is saying that we should not have a secondary or emphasize it...

I think the goal is to put pressure on opposing teams in the pass game so they make errors.

By playing man in the secondary, there should be tighter windows - meaning QBs have less opportunity to throw it to a spot and somebody is open (which happens more in zone).  Plus, by having sticky corners, there is an opportunity for more TO's.

The corners that have been brought in should do just that b/c they have the physical ability to stay with today's WRs.  They are going to be tasked with just stick with your man and don't let them get open.

I think a centerfielder like Justin Simmons would bring it all together.

You have a good point about being open to opposing team's run game - but a behemoth like Sweat could shut a lot of that down.  Or a DT that can fire off the ball into the backfield is another option.

Adding another LB that can cover at the 2nd level would really help with this too. Cooper and Payton Wilson are the best in this draft at covering the TE/RB's and quick slants.

On 3/22/2024 at 4:21 PM, ET80 said:

I'm leaning that way too, actually. A full year to actually get into football condition, an offseason with his close friend CJ Stroud? The skill was always there...

Hope y'all are right.

He doesn't look like he does anything special.

Hopefully he's well and we'll find out how much juice he has.

Just now, Blaze said:

You only begin restructuring contracts, if you plan on doing something with the money this year. 

Ya, Nick seems to be getting ready to go all in for these next 2 ish seasons before we have to really start paying CJ

• Like 1

Howard was basically on a 1 year, prove it deal, and we just basically made his spot on the team in 2025 a guarantee. He can be cut still after this year, but just for a 2 million dollar savings, as opposed to a big savings if we didnt do this. 

Its an interesting move, because you would think we need that money this year for something, but Idk who is out there that we needed to clear 10 million to sign. 

7 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Howard was basically on a 1 year, prove it deal, and we just basically made his spot on the team in 2025 a guarantee. He can be cut still after this year, but just for a 2 million dollar savings, as opposed to a big savings if we didnt do this. 

Its an interesting move, because you would think we need that money this year for something, but Idk who is out there that we needed to clear 10 million to sign. 

Trade. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jch1911 said:

Could be trade (keep hearing Derrick Brown from CAR) or free agent (Justin Simmons?)

I would love Simmons partnered with our expected pass rush. 

@LORK88 what you know, good brutha??

Trying to figure that out now, I'll update everyone once I hear something. My pure, speculative, zero inside info guess is that it's clearing room to trade for a defensive player. Maybe Marshon Lattimore, but I know we've always liked Derrick Brown too. Again, pure speculation. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jch1911 said:

Could be trade (keep hearing Derrick Brown from CAR) or free agent (Justin Simmons?)

We would have to give up a lot and sign him to a massive contract extension, but he would definitely make our d-line better. 

• Like 1

WR Collins/Hutchinson/Sims

WR Dell/Metchie III

WR Brown/Woods

LT Tunsil

LG Green/Green

C Scruggs/Patterson

RG Mason

RT Howard/Heck

TE Schultz/Jordan/Quitoriano

QB7Stroud/Mills/Kennum

RB Mixon/Pierce

FB Beck

DE Anderson Jr./Horton/Sanders

DT Fatukasi/Settle/Davis

RDT Autry/Edwards Jr./Hinish

DE Hunter/Barnett

LB Harris/Hansen

MLB Al-Shaair

SLB To'oTo'o/Phillips

CB Stingley Jr/Ford

SS Pitre/Murray/Stewart

FS Ward/Johnson Jr.

CB Okudah/Henderson

NB King

K Fairbairn
P Townsend
DS Weeks

My best guess as to our current depth chart of 53 players. 

We have at least 5 guys from the draft who will make the team, so several of these guys will get cut of practice squaded. 

4 hours ago, LORK88 said:

Trying to figure that out now, I'll update everyone once I hear something. My pure, speculative, zero inside info guess is that it's clearing room to trade for a defensive player. Maybe Marshon Lattimore, but I know we've always liked Derrick Brown too. Again, pure speculation. 

If I had to put the most realistic trades in order it would be 1. Derrick Brown 2. Lattimore. Just don't see then trading for Higgins or Aiyuk with Nico extension coming and a deep draft. 

Edited by Blaze
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, jch1911 said:

3 hours ago, LORK88 said:

Derrick Brown on this DL would be FILTHY. That just wouldn't be fair. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ET80 said:

Derrick Brown on this DL would be FILTHY. That just wouldn't be fair. 

That'd be one heck of a way to shore up the middle of your d-line.

• Like 3

On 3/29/2024 at 2:13 PM, Pastor Dillon said:

We would have to give up a lot and sign him to a massive contract extension, but he would definitely make our d-line better. 

He would be part of what Ryans said he wanted to do. Build a dominant front 7. Trade a 2nd and a conditional 2025 4th that can become a 3rd depending on how Brown performs. Then draft P. Wilson at 2-59 and that's the front 7 Ryans is looking for. Draft a guy the best WR you can get at 3-86 (I would trade up if a guy like Pearsall or Legette fell to the bottom of the 2nd even if it meant using a 2025 pick. Then draft a S in the 4th. Caserio did meet with Mustafa at the Sr. Bowl. Guys short but a great player.