Board Games (Reviews, Rules, Regulations, Random)

The Gnat

17 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

Does anyone know any games that work well for both 2, 3 or 4 people? It is hard to find games that are good for both a couple or a small group

Pandemic works well at all player counts in my opinion.

Lost Expedition as well.

Small World does as it actually has different maps for different player counts so the map is always the right size.

XenoShyft: Onslaught - your base has hit points that scales with number of players.

Sagrada

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 3:44 PM, Heimdallr said:

Does anyone know any games that work well for both 2, 3 or 4 people? It is hard to find games that are good for both a couple or a small group

Horrified, Atlantis Rising, King of Tokyo, Space Base are some of our favorites.

• Like 1

Played Lords of Hellas for the first time last night. Started teaching the rules after 7, didn't start playing until 8, game wrapped around 11. Was definitely longer than it needed to be, but it was also the first time for all of us. I don't know that I'd want to play five player again, unless everyone knew what they were doing, but otherwise, I really enjoyed the game. I thought that the mechanics were interesting, there is good variability in what was going on, and every time it would feel different. I want to get it to the table again soon, and I think with four the time commitment would go down a chunk, but still, it's a big game that takes some time to set-up and play.

Had a good time at my convention this past weekend. Got a few good SciFi RPG adventures in with Starfinder and played three Board games over the weekend.

Shogunate is a neat little card game where you try to shift around competing leaders for the Shogunate to get them honor and then you win if the total of your two random clans reaches a threshold. My issue is that is is 3-6 players and we could only find 2 to play this Play to Win game. So we played double handed and tied. lol Gorgeous art though.

Space Base: Command Station This was the base game with this expansion which I will 100% be getting as my next buy. It increases the player base from 5 to 7 and also comes with custom sleeves for all of the base game and expansions. The box is also designed to hold everything for this game including future expansions. I had fun playing the game too and was one credit shy of winning.

Maracaibo If you enjoy long 4+ hour games with a heavy euro feel then this is the game for you. I enjoyed it a lot but would only buy it to add to the collection because the wife had zero interest. I'll just have to get games in at other conventions. 

• Like 1

On 2/8/2020 at 3:22 PM, bucsfan333 said:

Just created a general goods store called Monkey's Pawn. The owner's name is Ophidian.

Ophidian means snake.

I've had a few drinks and I'm proud of how clever I am and wanted to share.

I hosted a ttrpg where I gave npcs backwards names of their main traits. They caught on to Yugdab and it spoiled a bunch of content I had planned :(

• Like 2

I got two "new" games in last night.

Homebrewers - Played this at GenCon had a blast with it, but was only a demo of half the game. Finally played a full game and still had a blast with it. Definitely a fun game, and it's fun to put together a beer and at the end of the game consider, would I drink a Blackberry stout (for sure), Apple, Lime, and Lemon IPA (yeah), a nutmeg and bacon ale (I'd try it). The game plays really fast as well, with teaching the rules and there being an AI player at 2 player count (so it has 3 players), it went fast.

Dice Throne: Tactician and Huntress - Just picked this one up recently, now only two of the heroes short. Played it twice, both times as the Huntress, both games were pretty close. Games always fun, I thought that the Huntress was a bit simple, but the Tactician was a big hit for the other player. Dice Throne is always a good time.

Going to play Marvel Champions tonight.

Marvel Champions was fun. I only played the intro scenario solo playing. Rhino beat Spider-Man twice. The second time it was closer, but because I didn't manipulate flipping character right, I ended up losing. Mainly, I just forgot to flip. It's a very cool thing that the game does, when you're on the alter-ego side the enemy schemes because they don't know who you are, so you can lose if they complete their scheme, which happened to me twice. If you are on the superhero side they'll scheme a little but mainly just attack you. It was a lot of fun and I'm going to beat Rhino solo with Spider-Man and the move onto more characters and villains.

And I played more Tainted Grail last night. The game is tough, but now that I understand some of the areas where it's toughest at, I was able to make much better time and have a better plan than I did last time. I didn't rush through it as much which makes a big difference as well because I was able to set myself up for the future better because of it. I also went a fairly different direction than the time before, it'll be interesting to see what lies off to the west instead of the east this time.I still really love the game, the story is so good.

On 3/5/2020 at 8:16 AM, The Gnat said:

Marvel Champions was fun. I only played the intro scenario solo playing. Rhino beat Spider-Man twice. The second time it was closer, but because I didn't manipulate flipping character right, I ended up losing. Mainly, I just forgot to flip. It's a very cool thing that the game does, when you're on the alter-ego side the enemy schemes because they don't know who you are, so you can lose if they complete their scheme, which happened to me twice. If you are on the superhero side they'll scheme a little but mainly just attack you. It was a lot of fun and I'm going to beat Rhino solo with Spider-Man and the move onto more characters and villains.

Played more again over the weekend, 2 players this time, meeting up with a person at a gaming shop to play. Was a blast, played as Captain America while they played as Thor, and it was great. We took on the Green Goblin, lost the first time but then beat them the second time. Captain America was a very defensive build and it was great. I wish that I could find the Captain America character pack, but they are hard to find right now.