2024 Free Agency Discussion

RaidersAreOne

6 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

FWIW:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/1b9xa3i/growth_in_the_average_top_5_salaries_at_each/

Wanted to find Jason's original tweet, but was struggling. But over a decade, cap has gone up 92%, so that would be the mid-range for positional salary growth. RT I think is a bit of an anomaly, as I think the old prioritization of LTs specifically has just gone away, and OT is kind of lumped together now, especially as a lot of elite pass rushers rush from the right side nowadays. But otherwise, QBs have definitely got a disproportionate amount of the raises. Which I get....but also disagree with.

Not if you’re in the draft forum!

Super interesting, though. Much too lazy to do the work myself, but has there been anything tracking the new deals entirely, opposed to just the top 5? Seems like WR won’t show up when looking at the top 5 (although probably will soon with Chase/JJ/Lamb/Aiyuk coming up real soon) but it seems like in terms of mid-tier guys, WRs have been getting that major boom. 

3 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

I knew when Mahomes signed his deal, he would eventually get passed up by a couple other QBs, but we're already Prescott and Goff extensions away from his deal being 10th, and that's just absurd. Feels like the Bills have signed damn near the only sensible QB deal since then. Josh Allen isn't quite as good as Mahomes, and he got like $2M per year less one year later. Made perfect sense. And yet, how they managed that is honestly astounding in retrospect given what every other QB has signed for since. You've got Kirk Cousins and Kyler Murray starting negotiations at, more than Mahomes money or we walk.

I was happy with the outcome on Lamar's contract TBH. Lamar signed after Deshaun got 230 guaranteed and everyone expected him to demand more or at least close to that, and he ultimately signed for 185 guaranteed. Then the next 2 guys to sign after him (Burrow and Herbert) both got 215+ guaranteed.

1 hour ago, Soko said:

Not if you’re in the draft forum!

Super interesting, though. Much too lazy to do the work myself, but has there been anything tracking the new deals entirely, opposed to just the top 5? Seems like WR won’t show up when looking at the top 5 (although probably will soon with Chase/JJ/Lamb/Aiyuk coming up real soon) but it seems like in terms of mid-tier guys, WRs have been getting that major boom. 

WR market could jump up with Jefferson/ Chase/ Lamb up for extensions.  Heard something on NFL radio that Hill at $30M average when he signed his deal would be equivalent to something like $36M average in relation to % of the cap.

2 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

I agree it is reasonable relative to those two deals. But I don't think those two deals are reasonable. I feel like Murray and Watson getting deals over Mahomes broke the QB market. Like, those guys should've gotten $40M or a little above, to be below Allen, and then Burrow/Jackson/Herbert could've now broken the Mahomes barrier as time has gone on and gotten a little above $45M. Instead, Burrow skyrocketed to $55M, which is ridiculous, and Goff an Cousins are in the $45M tier.

I just think the contracts there have gone up way too fast. The cap has gone up, obviously, but QB AAV has gone up way faster compared to other positions, and it feels like it's been driven by guys who shouldn't be driving the market up. Burrow and Lamar should've been the guys to push things over $45M, not Murray and Watson, and it's broken all the way down as a result now.

Supply and demand. Supply is just too low.

On 4/16/2024 at 11:14 AM, Danger said:

Completely random thought. But I can't believe that the Jaguars retained Press Taylor, and fired their DC.

I mean Caldwell did deserve to get fired.  As for Press?  You know Doug is going to take care of his boy.

1 hour ago, CasperX22 said:

I mean Caldwell did deserve to get fired.  As for Press?  You know Doug is going to take care of his boy.

They were average on both offense and defense, with Trevor Lawrence as their QB. If they're average with TLaw in his 3rd season, that speaks volumes.

On 4/5/2024 at 1:40 PM, RaidersAreOne said:

Best remaining FAs of the top 101 per NFL.com:

• Stephon Gilmore
  • Justin Simmons
  • Calais Campbell
  • Connor Williams
  • Steven Nelson
  • Adoree' Jackson
  • Ryan Tannehill
  • Odell Beckham
  • J.K. Dobbins
  • Tyler Boyd
  • Micah Hyde
  • Teair Tart
  • Andrus Peat
  • Ahkello Witherspoon
  • Emmanuel Ogbah
  • Donovan Smith
  • Dalton Risner
  • Michael Thomas

What's the deadline where these players who weren't cut can sign without affecting the compensatory formula? Is it after the draft?

2 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

What's the deadline where these players who weren't cut can sign without affecting the compensatory formula? Is it after the draft?

June 1st would make sense, but don't quote me on that

5 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

2 minutes ago, Danger said:

June 1st would make sense, but don't quote me on that

Second Tuesday after the draft https://overthecap.com/the-basics-and-methodology-of-projecting-the-nfls-compensatory-draft-picks

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, General Tso said:

I'd expect a good chunk of those players to sign the second Tuesday after the draft then, and the rest of them (mainly the older ones) to sign right at the end of mini camp.