2024 Free Agency Discussion

RaidersAreOne

easy. davante adams to the rams.

hey you guys, listen to me...no player on the rams is wearing #12, because thats puka's old number in high school and college.
but puka is a 5th round pick who can't pay back all these #17 jerseys so they wait until they trade for adams, puka is totally cool with switching jersey numbers for adams. boom. done deal. soooo obvious!

4 hours ago, bigbadbuff said:

At some point teams are going to sit back and say if you aren’t a top 5 QB we aren’t paying you that kind of money…right? Rather load the roster and take my chances in the draft than roll out Cousins, Dak, Tua etc for 60mil

Everyone's #1 job is to keep their job. Moving on from mid-tier guys is the right move to maximize your odds of winning a Superbowl, but it's the wrong move to maximize your odds of not getting fired. Need a GM/HC duo with substantial job security for it to be an option, IMO. Otherwise, you draft a guy, and if he busts you're worse off and get fired for it. While you probably won't get fired for being a 9 to 10 win fringe playoff contender every year. At least, not for awhile.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bigbadbuff said:

At some point teams are going to sit back and say if you aren’t a top 5 QB we aren’t paying you that kind of money…right? Rather load the roster and take my chances in the draft than roll out Cousins, Dak, Tua etc for 60mil

Nope 

• Like 1

On 7/31/2024 at 8:50 AM, Forge said:

🤔

I could be reading into the tweets incorrectly, but subsequent tweets from Ricky do make this seem like this is about Aiyuk 

*edit*

a day later, he still seems to be indicating this, tbh. 

3 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

What would the trade look like ?

Underwhelming for the niners lol

There was a lot of scuttle of a cooper / Aiyuk swap for the browns. 

Aiyuk is really going to choose 6 wins, cleveland, and a creepy qb over going for a super bowl with a premier franchise because of a couple million on his 2nd contract. I'm sure he will definitely will never regret this one 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Underwhelming for the niners lol

There was a lot of scuttle of a cooper / Aiyuk swap for the browns. 

Cooper just reworked his deal a few days ago. I don’t think the browns can or would take on his dead cap money 

5 minutes ago, adamq said:

Aiyuk is really going to choose 6 wins, cleveland, and a creepy qb over going for a super bowl with a premier franchise because of a couple million on his 2nd contract. I'm sure he will definitely will never regret this one 

I'd venture a guess they're more than a couple million apart.

5 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Cooper just reworked his deal a few days ago. I don’t think the browns can or would take on his dead cap money 

There's really no difference for the browns because it's after June 1. Right now he's an 8 million dollar hit with 22 in dead money next year when he's a free agent. 

If they trade him, it's basically the same. I think a million gets or something gets shuffled around

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'd venture a guess they're more than a couple million apart.

In guaranteed money, yes. Listening to someone earlier today, maybe NFL Network, and it was said the niners were a couple million under his 30 million ask. 

I imagine the biggest issues are guarantees?

26 minutes ago, adamq said:

Tom Brady isn’t walking thru that door. 

Guessing it isn’t a FRP, I don’t think Cleveland trades that away for another WR at this point. And with that assumption in mind, if it were on the table for NE but not on the table for Cleveland, I don’t imagine it’d be up to Aiyuk…

I wonder what else NE is sending, other than picks. WR for WR would make sense but NE isn’t exactly flush there, and virtually the whole starting lineup is either a rookie/sophomore or on a brand new deal. Where else is SF thin/looking for a potential starter? Corner?