Boston College Head Coach Jeff Hafley is Packers New DC

2024 DC Search  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you WANT to be the next DC?

• Jeff Hafley
    • Jim Leonhard
    • Wink Martindale
    • Ejiro Evero
    • Christian Parker
    • Zach Orr
    • Jesse Minter
    • Anthony Weaver
    • Chris Hewitt
    • Al Harris
    • Larry Foote
    • Aden Durde
    • Dennard Wilson
    • Aubrey Pleasant
    • Brandon Staley
    • Joe Barry
    • Bobby Babich
    • Mike Vrabel
    • Leslie Frazier
    • Chris Harris

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2024 at 01:07 AM

I am absolutely late to this thread but I definitely had no idea who Hafley was, but based on everything I'm seeing, he seems to be an intriguing hire

As I've gone on I am way less concerned with scheme in general and more with flexibility on defense.... I think it's about figuring out what the players you have do best and putting them in the position to do that. It doesn't matter if it's 34, 43, 25, whatever as long as guys aren't playing tentative and are in a position to succeed

• Like 1

Packer fan applied for DC

Nice Read

"Thanks so much for your cover letter and resume regarding our Defensive Coordinator position," Murphy’s note read. "While your fantasy football experience is impressive, I regret to inform you that we have decided to go in a different direction.

"I hear the Bears have an opening - you look to be a perfect fit for them. Thanks again."

Edited by pack4to84
  • Like 1

He was one of several DL coach options for Hafley as he worked with him previously at Pittsburgh. Apparently he comes with a good reputation.

Not to worry though are still several options available to him. He shouldn't have too much difficulty finding one. I would be disappointed if we settle for Rebrovich if Bukowski's tweets are anything to go by.

Defensive LineJerry Montgomery, Vince Oghobaase (Boston College), Jeff Zgonina (If released from Washington), Charlie Partridge (Pitts), Tony Tuioti (Oregon), Darryl Tapp (49ers)Nate Ollie (Colts), Greg Scruggs (Wisconsin), Nathaniel Willingham (Jets).

Hafley directly knows
via Shanahan
via Saleh

Edited by Chili

19 minutes ago, VonKarman said:

Why are you disappointed? It's almost impossible to be able to judge these guys.

1. Our pass-rush has not improved.  Taken off the Packers website, they had 30 sacks this year and 32 sacks the year before. When compared to the rest of the NFL it is really mediocre production. Gary is too talented to not put up double digit sack numbers. We should be aiming to get in the 45+ sack range minimum.

2. Watch any of his interviews he comes across as a bit simple. Also I don't think he has the right personality to motivate and lift the defensive line to another level.

Edited by Chili

1 minute ago, Chili said:

1. Our pass-rush has not improved.  Taken off the Packers website, they had 30 sacks this year and 32 sacks the year before. When compared to the rest of the NFL it is really mediocre production. Gary is too talented to not put up double digit sack numbers. We should be aiming to get in the 45+ sack range minimum.

2. Watch any of his interviews he comes across as a bit simple. Also I don't think he has the right personality to motivate and lift the defence to another level.

1- I'd like to see the pressure numbers due to the volatility of sack numbers. Also, I would look to pressure rate. We play fewer drives than other teams, and we were also in too many 3rd and short situations. Besides, Barry had no 3rd down pressure packages. One could argue that he's been able to make good use of 3rd day picks with Enagbare and Brooks.

2-Intervews mean nothing. How do you know how his personality is during training hours?

I don't know, it seems to me like it's quite hard to make an evaluation from the outside.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Chili said:

2. Watch any of his interviews he comes across as a bit simple. Also I don't think he has the right personality to motivate and lift the defensive line to another level.

You're right the Packers are mediocre at sacks, but your numbers are wrong. The numbers you posted are the number of sacks they allowed. The Packers defense had 45 sacks, which ranked 16th. Packers were very poor at blitzing. Only 4.5 sacks came from LB's and secondary.  They were however 7th in pressure%. 

• Like 7