Justin Jefferson: Jets cleared for takeoff for 5 years (New contract! p.10)

vike daddy

Calvin Johnson caught 122 passes in 16 games when he set the 1,964-yard mark in 2012. Jerry Rice’s 1995 record of 1,848 yards had stood for 17 years before that. Rams receiver Cooper Kupp has come the closest in the 17-game era, going for 1,947 yards in 17 games in 2021.

The Hall of Famer knows it’s only a matter of time before someone tops his record.

Johnson: “I mean, it’s bound to fall at some point the way it’s going, so it is what it is. I held it down, I don’t know even know how long, over a decade now.”

“They want more offense, man, so at some point it’s going to happen. You’ve got to be healthy. You’ve got to play really a full 17 now. That’s the key. You got to be healthy. If you can play 17, guys have put up numbers. That 17, you get that extra game to put another 150 or 200 yards.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/calvin-johnson-expects-his-nfl-record-of-1-964-receiving-yards-to-fall

• Like 1

ESPN recently highlighted the best NFL, college and high school football players at every age between 14 and 40 years old. They tabbed Jefferson, who will celebrate his 25th birthday on Sunday, as the league's best 24-year-old. ESPN wrote:

"Jefferson topped the 1,000-yard mark in 2023 ... despite missing seven games. He's a do-it-all volume target with three-level ability and the big-play chops to flip the field. He has 104 receptions of at least 20 yards – more than 25 [percent] of his 392 career catches – which speaks to his highly creative route skills and the numbers he can produce after the catch."

As a "stat to know," ESPN pointed to the fact that Jefferson has "averaged 98.3 receiving yards per game in his four-year career, the most of any receiver during that stretch."

ESPN's runner-up in the 24-year-old category was Broncos cornerback Pat Surtain II.

https://www.vikings.com/news/justin-jefferson-brandon-powell-mekhi-blackmon

• Like 1

^^^^ after all the diva-like attitude stuff we had to endure (along with GREAT on-field ability) from receivers like Moss, Carter, Harvin, etc, Jefferson is suuuuuuch a joy to have on the team.

just a 100% great guy.

• Like 5

A couple of days after reports emerged that receiver Tee Higgins had signed his franchise tender, the Bengals have made it official. Cincinnati announced on Monday afternoon that Higgins has re-signed with the club on a one-year deal.

He is set to make $21.8 million playing on the franchise tender in 2024, though he and the Bengals have until July 15 to strike a long-term deal.

Notably, Bengals receiver Ja’Marr Chase is also eligible for a contract extension. Chase attended Cincinnati’s mandatory minicamp after electing not to participate in the team’s voluntary offseason program activities.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/bengals-announce-tee-higgins-has-re-signed-on-one-year-deal

NFL Media analyst Bucky Brooks recently included Jefferson in a group of five players he believes have a chance at breaking the NFL receiving record this season.

In looking at the biggest threats to Megatron's record, Brooks ranked Jefferson third most likely to accomplish it this season.

Brooks: "The league's highest-paid pass catcher should compete for the NFL's receiving record as the top option in Kevin O'Connell's offense. The ultra-creative play designer utilizes various formations, pre-snap shifts and motions to loosen the coverage around Jefferson. As Jordan Addison continues to evolve into an elite WR2 and with T.J. Hockenson flourishing as a blue-chip playmaker (when healthy), the Vikings should be able to force the ball to Jefferson to allow him to cook defensive backs on the perimeter. Given his receiving title (2022) and stature as the NFL's WR1, Jefferson's production could match his compensation with a sensational campaign in 2024."

Brooks opined Tyreek Hill as the most likely to break the record, with Amon-Ra St. Brown next. The Vikings of course are slated to face St. Brown and the division-rival Lions twice.

After Jefferson, Brooks looked to Steelers wideout George Pickens and Browns receiver Amari Cooper as potential options to surpass Johnson's 1,964 yards through the air.

https://www.vikings.com/news/justin-jefferson-nfl-receiving-record-biggest-threats-2024

@detfan782004 @Louis Friend @Just Want A Title @Sllim Pickens

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

NFL Media analyst Bucky Brooks recently included Jefferson in a group of five players he believes have a chance at breaking the NFL receiving record this season.

In looking at the biggest threats to Megatron's record, Brooks ranked Jefferson third most likely to accomplish it this season.

Brooks: "The league's highest-paid pass catcher should compete for the NFL's receiving record as the top option in Kevin O'Connell's offense. The ultra-creative play designer utilizes various formations, pre-snap shifts and motions to loosen the coverage around Jefferson. As Jordan Addison continues to evolve into an elite WR2 and with T.J. Hockenson flourishing as a blue-chip playmaker (when healthy), the Vikings should be able to force the ball to Jefferson to allow him to cook defensive backs on the perimeter. Given his receiving title (2022) and stature as the NFL's WR1, Jefferson's production could match his compensation with a sensational campaign in 2024."

Brooks opined Tyreek Hill as the most likely to break the record, with Amon-Ra St. Brown next. The Vikings of course are slated to face St. Brown and the division-rival Lions twice.

After Jefferson, Brooks looked to Steelers wideout George Pickens and Browns receiver Amari Cooper as potential options to surpass Johnson's 1,964 yards through the air.

https://www.vikings.com/news/justin-jefferson-nfl-receiving-record-biggest-threats-2024

JJ is tough because of the other weapons and the fact the QB situation isn't great.  If JJ wins the job and is good, then sure, but if Darnold starts the year I don't see JJ having a chance at it.  

ARSB could do it given Reynolds is gone but I doubt we focus that much attention to one target.  But he did miss a game and had a couple duds last year so if he changes that and gets a slight bump in target share, he could definitely do it.  

I think Hill is the right answer and Pickens is a solid choice too.  Hill because he is that good of a deep threat and has Waddle attracting attention and Pickens just because he is the only one there with any history of doing much.  But I dont love his QB situation either.  

• Like 1

Via Terry Lefton of Sports Business Journal, several major NFL stars recently traveled to Canada for a “gladiator-themed” Pepsi commercial. The NFL players in the spot include Bills quarterback Josh Allen, Ravens running back Derrick Henry, Vikings receiver Justin Jefferson and Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce, per the report.

Lefton suggests that Pepsi has some sort of arrangement with Gladiator II, which will debut later this year. The commercial comes before that, just as the 2024 season gets started. So Pepsi is getting paid to push the sequel to Gladiator, and various NFL players are getting paid to push Pepsi as gladiators.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/big-nfl-stars-film-gladiator-themed-pepsi-commerical

gladiator-entertained.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/21/2024 at 12:25 PM, vike daddy said:

JJ has been on the cusp, I could definitely see him do it.

I don’t know that the Lions will focus on ARSB enough to touch the record. To get that record, you need a lot of chances. Think Megatron in Detroit, Kupp in LA and Jefferson in Minny. They were the sole focus of their offenses with nothing around them to get numbers that high. I don’t see Tyreek or Sun God getting there. Offenses are too balanced. I don’t think Cooper or Pickens have the QBs to make it happen. I don’t see Kupp touching it now with Puka and Kyren. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Think Megatron in Detroit, Kupp in LA and Jefferson in Minny. They were the sole focus of their offenses with nothing around them to get numbers that high. 

Addison? Hockenson when he's healthy?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Louis Friend said:

I don’t know that the Lions will focus on ARSB enough to touch the record. To get that record, you need a lot of chances. Think Megatron in Detroit, Kupp in LA and Jefferson in Minny. They were the sole focus of their offenses with nothing around them to get numbers that high. I don’t see Tyreek or Sun God getting there. Offenses are too balanced. I don’t think Cooper or Pickens have the QBs to make it happen. I don’t see Kupp touching it now with Puka and Kyren. 

I think Addison and Hockenson that they were more than adequate in filling in as our top target when JJ was hurt.

We were 5-0 at one point without him too, and had Cousins not got hurt, we very likely would've made the playoffs last year.

• Like 3