Justin Jefferson: Jets cleared for takeoff for 5 years (New contract! p.10)

vike daddy

2 minutes ago, Sad People said:

Is anyone getting slightly worried about the deal not getting done? 

I’ll admit it’s starting creep up a little bit for me but if it’s not done in the dog days of summer then I will be worried. 

It will happen in June.

I skipped over the post with all those trade scenarios 'cause 1. It's not going to happen 2. Tarkenton as a Giant...Kapp as a Patriot...Page as a Bear...Eller and Randle as Seahawks...even Diggs as a Bill...I am really tired of seeing my favorite Vikings playing for other teams. Jefferson is current favorite player.  I don't want him to ever leave Minnesota...even if it makes sense to do so.

• Like 3

Albert Breer of SI.com points out that once it was clear the Patriots were staying at 3 and taking former North Carolina quarterback Drake Maye, the market for trades within the top 10 quickly collapsed. All of this leads Breer to believe that the Vikings will ultimately do whatever is necessary to get Jefferson signed to a long-term deal. However, as Breer points out in the column, the price tag for that deal likely went up with the deals agreed to by the Lions’ Amon-Ra St. Brown and Eagles’ A.J. Brown.

Getting Jefferson signed long-term is further complicated because this contract dilemma could have faced the team last season, but Jefferson took on an extra year and was rewarded with missing a good portion of it due to injury. That likely did nothing but reinforce the idea that Jefferson wasn’t going to be happy with any short-term Band-Aids to get him into camp.

If and when a deal gets done remains to be seen, but the longer this situation is drawn out, the more speculation we’ll see about Jefferson and potential other suitors. It could be a long off-season for Vikings fans waiting for that alert they all so desperately want to see.

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2024/05/29/nfl-insider-albert-breer-believes-vikings-justin-jefferson-will-reach-long-term-deal/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR0eXtuq-7yA436st7Tb5mhcv0DEHi6w6F7OiPEShw1e1bZOQxoOJs3dsyY_aem_AY_dFvygyJv54e5wpR45W4PfQAfRZX7If6fgUv1Km52cioyfLQM6xM1xeHmErTBcLqlxBpnzZ9Jmr1mJlL5GQ3VT

On 5/29/2024 at 7:37 PM, vike daddy said:

Kevin Seifert, ESPN: "This rumor has made the rounds, and it’s admittedly juicy, but the Vikings did not try last month to trade up and draft WR Malik Nabers. Great player, but Vikings have a better one in Justin Jefferson. Still working to extend Jefferson and no interest in trading him."

https://vikingsterritory.com/2024/news/top_news/vikings-reporter-says-not-so-fast-on-recent-rumors?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

That never made much sense

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

That never made much sense

I completely disregarded it as pure nonsense. I'm pretty sure it was probably one guy in the Vikings organization that mentioned it to Charley Walters and some others just to try and get a rise out of them, knowing that someone would write about it. It's why Florio said he heard about it too but never was able to corroborate it with another source, so he just ignored it. Shooter doesn't have the luxury of ignoring it because otherwise he'd be irrelevant.   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, swede700 said:

I completely disregarded it as pure nonsense. I'm pretty sure it was probably one guy in the Vikings organization that mentioned it to Charley Walters and some others just to try and get a rise out of them, knowing that someone would write about it. It's why Florio said he heard about it too but never was able to corroborate it with another source, so he just ignored it. Shooter doesn't have the luxury of ignoring it because otherwise he'd be irrelevant.   

I pretty much disregarded it also.  Maybe if they had kept Kirk they could have tried to get cheaper at WR but even with Kirk I think they would have been looking at QBs

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler: “This is going to be a market-altering deal when it does happen with Minnesota. I’m told the Vikings are pretty motivated here. They want to try to get something done, they’ve been in active discussions with Jefferson and his representation. So this could not only be making him the highest-paid wide receiver, but the highest-paid non-quarterback, potentially. Nick Bosa makes $34 million a year, we’ll see if he can get to that threshold, but this should get done at some point in the coming weeks and months this summer, that’s the Vikings goal, so they’re pretty dedicated to doing it.”

https://www.minnesotasportsfan.com/justin-jefferson-contract-news-vikings/?

Edited by vike daddy

8 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

If the Vikings got Jefferson on a five-year deal that makes him the highest non-QB in the league by edging him just over Bosa I would be pretty happy about that.

i'd rather pay a receiver 35 million than a quarterback 55 million....