2024: Offseason

8 hours ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

I just hope Morris uses the weight room a ton this off-season. He has kind of an odd body shape. Probably got away with being big all the way til now so he's gonna need the strength. Imo that's why he got smoked during the raider game, couldn't match up physically.

Imo he definitely shouldn't just be the presumed starter.

Lots of people get smoked by Crosby, but I agree. He’s also a 3rd round rookie, so there is learning curve.  Main reason I’m not opposed to a vet signing, especially, if I’d a drastic improvement like Bahktiari if he’s healthy and wants to play. I know A-a-Ron isn’t here, but the Jets signed a ton of so-lineman and he wasn’t their LT.

At this point, regarding a position like LT, I think Veach probably has multiple options on the table. This close to the draft, I would imagine we have a few positions we want to improve (WR and LT for sure, I would think), and we probably already have feelers out to free agents in case we don't like the way the board falls to us at those spots. I think there's just little point in rushing to sign someone right now, given that no one is really signing anybody right now. Let the draft play out and fill out any positions we still aren't comfortable with shortly after. Whether that's a Smith/Leno/Bakhtiari at LT, a Boyd/Beckham/Renfrow at WR, Ogbah/Ngakoue at DE, etc.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EMAW_KSU said:

Lots of people get smoked by Crosby, but I agree. He’s also a 3rd round rookie, so there is learning curve.  Main reason I’m not opposed to a vet signing, especially, if I’d a drastic improvement like Bahktiari if he’s healthy and wants to play. I know A-a-Ron isn’t here, but the Jets signed a ton of so-lineman and he wasn’t their LT.

I honestly think Bakhtari is done like Mitch was for us. I think Donny is a guy we re-sign if the value isn’t there in the draft. I say Donny because he’s generally been pretty healthy, only missing a few games last year for us. 

theres always Joe Thuney as well, especially if we target a guard to groom behind as his replacement. Interior OL to me is also a pretty big need, Creed, Trey and Thuneys contracts are all coming up soon too. 

If we don’t go after a first round WR, maybe we go after a second round guy? Roman Wilson, Ricky Pearsall, etc this class is great. We should be able to find a contributor even going into the later rounds

2 hours ago, Chiefer said:

If we don’t go after a first round WR, maybe we go after a second round guy? Roman Wilson, Ricky Pearsall, etc this class is great. We should be able to find a contributor even going into the later rounds

I just feel like waiting to 64 is taking a big risk on WR to get someone with higher end attributes. Guys like Tez Walker, Corley, Leggette are all most likely gone and you’re into tier 3.

12 minutes ago, EMAW_KSU said:

I just feel like waiting to 64 is taking a big risk on WR to get someone with higher end attributes. Guys like Tez Walker, Corley, Leggette are all most likely gone and you’re into tier 3.

Veach does love trading in the second that may be in the cards once again. I think it’s a lot more likely we can get something done in the second then a team wanting to trade with us in the first, at least in this three-peat roll we’re on

Edited by Chiefer

1 hour ago, Chiefer said:

Veach does love trading in the second that may be in the cards once again. I think it’s a lot more likely we can get something done in the second then a team wanting to trade with us in the first, at least in this three-peat roll we’re on

I’m actually with against trading up in the first.  Now if a team wants 32 and we can get an extra pick THIS YEAR, in round 2/3…come and take it…ALMOST regardless of who is available. ALMOST

Almost Players with a shred of realism 

Mims

Brian Thomas Jr

Cooper DeJean (reminds me of Sneed’s versatility but much more athletic)

I feel a little more like Mitchell or Guyton might be there, but I might also be less sad if we still traded back. More likely with Mitchell, Guyton I think we’d take.

2 hours ago, EMAW_KSU said:

I’m actually with against trading up in the first.  Now if a team wants 32 and we can get an extra pick THIS YEAR, in round 2/3…come and take it…ALMOST regardless of who is available. ALMOST

Almost Players with a shred of realism 

Mims

Brian Thomas Jr

Cooper DeJean (reminds me of Sneed’s versatility but much more athletic)

I feel a little more like Mitchell or Guyton might be there, but I might also be less sad if we still traded back. More likely with Mitchell, Guyton I think we’d take.

In 7 years Veach has traded back once. Certainly not impossible but I think it’s real unlikely we trade back ever again after that Skyy Moore fiasco

34 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

In 7 years Veach has traded back once. Certainly not impossible but I think it’s real unlikely we trade back ever again after that Skyy Moore fiasco

We don’t talk about Bruno

On 4/15/2024 at 6:58 PM, Jakuvious said:

At this point, regarding a position like LT, I think Veach probably has multiple options on the table. This close to the draft, I would imagine we have a few positions we want to improve (WR and LT for sure, I would think), and we probably already have feelers out to free agents in case we don't like the way the board falls to us at those spots. I think there's just little point in rushing to sign someone right now, given that no one is really signing anybody right now. Let the draft play out and fill out any positions we still aren't comfortable with shortly after. Whether that's a Smith/Leno/Bakhtiari at LT, a Boyd/Beckham/Renfrow at WR, Ogbah/Ngakoue at DE, etc.

Yeah I would be surprised if we can't resign Donovan Smith in case we don't get a LT who can start day 1 in the draft (more likely than not).

WR not sure because as I said on another thread, we have a short term starting lineup of Brown/Rice/Kelce and Watson or Gray and I don't know if you go after a vet to improve that last spot instead of taking someone round 2 or round 3 and have him gradually take snaps over Watson. DE we don't need anyone short term actually, question is more long term imho.

1 hour ago, TedLavie said:

Yeah I would be surprised if we can't resign Donovan Smith in case we don't get a LT who can start day 1 in the draft (more likely than not).

WR not sure because as I said on another thread, we have a short term starting lineup of Brown/Rice/Kelce and Watson or Gray and I don't know if you go after a vet to improve that last spot instead of taking someone round 2 or round 3 and have him gradually take snaps over Watson. DE we don't need anyone short term actually, question is more long term imho.

We already have someone likely as good as Smith was last season--Wanya Morris. That is a low bar but we would not be going backward and Morris could surprise. A year of diet and conditioning has worked wonders before. Draft a player who can play swing tackle for a year and then replace Taylor in 2025. 

WR is also a think-ahead position. No one likely to be available will start immediately. Those players will go top 10. 

2 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

We already have someone likely as good as Smith was last season--Wanya Morris. That is a low bar but we would not be going backward and Morris could surprise. A year of diet and conditioning has worked wonders before. Draft a player who can play swing tackle for a year and then replace Taylor in 2025. 

Unpopular opinion, but what about a one year deal for Becton.  Still young, coming off the best year of his career, could be possible he needs a new start. I’m not saying it would necessarily alter draft plans or even happen prior…but his services will be harder to get after. Can play both sides, and let’s be honest until Saleh the Jets weren’t renowned for coaching pedigree.

7 minutes ago, EMAW_KSU said:

Unpopular opinion, but what about a one year deal for Becton.  Still young, coming off the best year of his career, could be possible he needs a new start. I’m not saying it would necessarily alter draft plans or even happen prior…but his services will be harder to get after. Can play both sides, and let’s be honest until Saleh the Jets weren’t renowned for coaching pedigree.

Again, it comes down to what you think of Wanya Morris. If you expect a substantial step forward, sit tight and draft for 2025.

8 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

WR is also a think-ahead position. No one likely to be available will start immediately. Those players will go top 10. 

I don't think Morris was as good as Donovan last year, by eye test and stats (his pressure rate is 7% - which is bad by NFL standards - Donovan is 5%, which is below average but still better).

Now it's fair to project Wanya to get better. But there should be at least competition for the starting spot - and Donovan Smith can provide that.

Also I used Smith since there is familiarity there, but there are others LT vets out there that could work for us