2024: Offseason

1 hour ago, TedLavie said:

I don't think Morris was as good as Donovan last year, by eye test and stats (his pressure rate is 7% - which is bad by NFL standards - Donovan is 5%, which is below average but still better).

Now it's fair to project Wanya to get better. But there should be at least competition for the starting spot - and Donovan Smith can provide that.

Also I used Smith since there is familiarity there, but there are others LT vets out there that could work for us

It isn't a high bar since Smith was adequate on his good days. That said, I expect more than just some improvement. Morris will have had over a year in the conditioning program. That alone will mitigate his strength issues.

There is also Coach Heck's record of player development. Consider Andrew Wylie. As for competition, we have Taylor and Niang. Add a draft pick and you have four players competing for two jobs. It isn't what you would want but it is more than nothing. 

I am taking my cue from the team. They do not seem to consider LT to be a problem area.

58 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

It isn't a high bar since Smith was adequate on his good days. That said, I expect more than just some improvement. Morris will have had over a year in the conditioning program. That alone will mitigate his strength issues.

There is also Coach Heck's record of player development. Consider Andrew Wylie. As for competition, we have Taylor and Niang. Add a draft pick and you have four players competing for two jobs. It isn't what you would want but it is more than nothing. 

I am taking my cue from the team. They do not seem to consider LT to be a problem area.

If you're standard for tackles is Andrew Wylie I don't think there's anything to add... Also, Niang isn't competition, if he was considered as a potential starter for us he would have had opportunities. 

And, if we're drafting a tackle high, it's considered a problem area no? The case of bringing in a vet is made in the scenario where we can't draft someone we like at the position. If we're getting Latham or Mims end of the 1st, then yes Donovan Smith, or any vet, wouldn't be needed. But if go WR or LB or DL in the 1st for one reason or another, then adding a tackle in FA becomes a priority

1 hour ago, TedLavie said:

If you're standard for tackles is Andrew Wylie I don't think there's anything to add... Also, Niang isn't competition, if he was considered as a potential starter for us he would have had opportunities. 

And, if we're drafting a tackle high, it's considered a problem area no? The case of bringing in a vet is made in the scenario where we can't draft someone we like at the position. If we're getting Latham or Mims end of the 1st, then yes Donovan Smith, or any vet, wouldn't be needed. But if go WR or LB or DL in the 1st for one reason or another, then adding a tackle in FA becomes a priority

Or CB.

11 hours ago, EMAW_KSU said:

Unpopular opinion, but what about a one year deal for Becton.  Still young, coming off the best year of his career, could be possible he needs a new start. I’m not saying it would necessarily alter draft plans or even happen prior…but his services will be harder to get after. Can play both sides, and let’s be honest until Saleh the Jets weren’t renowned for coaching pedigree.

I wouldn't mind adding Becton. I don't think that would be sufficient as the only move at the position, though. Becton would work well as a high ceiling reclamation project kind of deal. Wouldn't be the first bust from a poorly ran team that we've picked up over the years.

I don't think he'd be the solve at the position, though. When I look at the low to mid tier free agents we've signed in recent years, I feel like they're typically to raise the floor of the position, more than the ceiling. Guys like Donvoan Smith and Mike Edwards. They weren't really going to elevate the team to new heights, but they ensured that the positions they manned wouldn't be terrible while we had young guys (Wanya Morris and Chamarri Conner) waiting in the wings behind them. Meant we didn't have to rely on the young players if they weren't ready to go. Even JuJu was similar, I would say. Insurance for a bad or not ready Skyy Moore. And thank god.

Becton would be a good add if we don't find someone we like in the draft, to be that potential future guy. But I still think they would want to add a more trusted veteran in that case. It's just very dangerous to be counting on Becton or a rookie or Morris to protect Mahomes all year long, unless they're very, very confident that they'll be ready. Bad OL can easily be the reason we get knocked out in the playoffs. As we know too well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jakuvious said:

Wouldn't be the first bust from a poorly ran team that we've picked up over the years.

My thoughts exactly.

I feel like we could get him at a decent rate. My thought process being, a guy off the first 2 roads shake out that there isn’t that guy we like. As Jay points out, we have very little depth at that position.

43 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

This is a good draft for OT's. I'll trust Andy H and coach Reid to find one we can work with

I don’t know that it’s good, I think there’s a number of develop players.  Which is bad at pick 32.  Reid said in a presser the other day that at pick 32, you really have to stay true to your board, make sure that you’re taking the best player in your list, not reaching.  That’s the main reason I think OT is less likely to be the pick at 32.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, TedLavie said:

My point is Andrew Wylie 2018 vs Andrew Wylie 2022. Night to day different.

Who knows which Niang will show up? He has earned starting roles in the past. Regardless, he is competition.

10 hours ago, TedLavie said:

Not a problem area, no. An area with expiring contracts.

Edited by onejayhawk

6 hours ago, mayanfootball said:

Unless we've identified an unquantifiable player we better get an OT sooner than later.

I don’t disagree with this. I just think there’s a significant chance we could already be looking at tier 3 guys when we pick in round one.

1 hour ago, EMAW_KSU said:

Contract, just one currently.

2025 deadcap on Taylor is only 4 and change. If we have two warm bodies then he and Niang are toast.

Both players' agents likely know this as well> Camp could be interesting and unexpected.

Steve Smiths Top10 WR

1)Malik Nabers

2)MHJ

3)Rome Odunze

4) Brian Thomas Jr

5)Xavier Worthy

6) AD Mitchell

7) Troy Franklin

😎 Ladd McConkey

9) Xavier Leggette

10) Malachi Corley

Hes stated multiple times he doesn’t think we draft a guy I the first. Not Andy Reid’s style 

3 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Steve Smiths Top10 WR

1)Malik Nabers

2)MHJ

3)Rome Odunze

4) Brian Thomas Jr

5)Xavier Worthy

6) AD Mitchell

7) Troy Franklin

😎 Ladd McConkey

9) Xavier Leggette

10) Malachi Corley

Hes stated multiple times he doesn’t think we draft a guy I the first. Not Andy Reid’s style 

I enjoy his top 10, but his thought process on Worthy is just shocking. Like the guy is the anti Steve Smith. But I guess being fast matters.

Edited by EMAW_KSU