Super Bowl LVIII: Kansas City Chiefs vs. San Francisco 49ers

Chiefs or 49ers  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins Super Bowl 58?

• Chiefs
    • 49ers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/11/2024 at 11:30 PM

Noted in the 49ers forum that Shanny has made 3 of the last 8 SB's as a OC or HC. Looking at HC's, OC's or DC's since 2016, i think only Reid (4) & Belichek (3) have made as many or more. Might be missing someone 

Whats wilder is that Reid & Belichek made their SB's with Mahomes or Brady. Shanny made his SB's with 3 different QB's; Ryan, Garoppolo & now Purdy 

Keep this in mind Niners fans. This game is extremely important for Purdy. Since 1976 only two QBs (Elway and Kelly) have made it back to the Superbowl after losing in their first Superbowl start. Since 2000 no QB that lost in their first Superbowl start ever made it back.

That means if Purdy loses it’s going to be hard to see him going back to the Superbowl. He is just going to be on that list of one and done QBs that lost in their first Superbowl start but never got back. Which wouldn’t be good for the Niners if he is the QB long term that would mean they wouldn’t get back unless Purdy is hurt and a new QB is starting on a Superbowl run while Purdy is inactive. Then that’s another discussion. 

4 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Keep this in mind Niners fans. This game is extremely important for Purdy. Since 1976 only two QBs (Elway and Kelly) have made it back to the Superbowl after losing in their first Superbowl start. Since 2000 no QB that lost in their first Superbowl start ever made it back.

That means if Purdy loses it’s going to be hard to see him going back to the Superbowl. He is just going to be on that list of one and done QBs that lost in their first Superbowl start but never got back. Which wouldn’t be good for the Niners if he is the QB long term that would mean they wouldn’t get back unless Purdy is hurt and a new QB is starting on a Superbowl run while Purdy is inactive. Then that’s another discussion. 

Btw I think it’s a crazy stat. I think about Marino who got to the Superbowl in his 2nd season lost and never got back. You would think just finally getting to a Superbowl win or lose especially if you are great would make it easier to get back again. But nope. Goff was 17pt halftime lead with a 91.5% chance to win at one point in the 3rd quarter close from getting back to the Superbowl but again nope. Probably the closest any QB has gotten to breaking the trend since 2000. 

28 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

It's going to be hard for Purdy to get back because it's hard to get to the super bowl. 

Not sure how much stock I'm putting into Neil O'Donnell and Stan humphries having anything to do with purdy's ability or inability to get back to the super bowl. 

Definitely is a quirky stat though

27 minutes ago, Forge said:

It's going to be hard for Purdy to get back because it's hard to get to the super bowl. 

Not sure how much stock I'm putting into Neil O'Donnell and Stan humphries having anything to do with purdy's ability or inability to get back to the super bowl. 

Definitely is a quirky stat though

It’s not hard to get back for the winning QB though. Brady, Warner, Big Ben, Russ, Peyton, Eli, and Mahomes. All got to multiple Superbowls in that span since 2000. They all won their first Superbowl start. So yeah it’s hard to get to the Superbowl but it feels like it’s impossible to get back when you lose in your first time starting in the Superbowl. Which is definitely weird bc you would think you lose you have an extra chip on your shoulder to get back. You win the burden is off so it’s easy to not take getting back as seriously so you can lose a little if not a lot of focus afterwards thus making it even harder to get back. 

Edited by stl4life07

I will say, looking back at the QBs who lost their first super bowl going back the last 30 or so ... Not a great crop of QBs since Kelly lol

Hurts tbd... Burrow seems a high end QB if healthy...Jimmy Garappolo, Jared Goff, Matt Ryan, Cam Newton, Colin Kaepernick, Rex Grossman, Matt Hasselbeck, Donovan McNabb, Jake Delhomme, Rich Gannon, Kerry Collins, Steve McNair, Chris Chandler, Drew Bledsoe, Neil O'Donnell and Stan Humphries

A bunch of guys who had a great one off here or there with Ryan / McNair / cam sprinkled in and a lot of averagish guys. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

It’s not hard to get back for the winning QB though. Brady, Warner, Big Ben, Russ, Peyton, Eli, and Mahomes. All got to multiple Superbowls in that span since 2000. They all won their first Superbowl start. So yeah it’s hard to get to the Superbowl but it feels like it’s impossible to get back when you lose in your first time starting in the Superbowl. Which is definitely weird bc you would think you lose you have an extra chip on your shoulder to get back. You win the burden is off so it’s easy to not take getting back as seriously so you can lose a little if not a lot of focus afterwards thus making it even harder to get back. 

I think the quality of QB is just different looking at the most recent history. 

Just now, Forge said:

I think the quality of QB is just different looking at the most recent history. 

That’s true too. Collins, Gannon, Delhomme, McNabb, Hasselback, Grossman, Kaepernick, Newton, Ryan, Goff, Jimmy G, Burrow, and Hurts.

All those were the list of first time QBs starting in the Superbowl that lost. Not many of them jump out to me.

3 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

That’s true too. Collins, Gannon, Delhomme, McNabb, Hasselback, Grossman, Kaepernick, Newton, Ryan, Goff, Jimmy G, Burrow, and Hurts.

All those were the list of first time QBs starting in the Superbowl that lost. Not many of them jump out to me.

It's really kind of crazy seeing them lined up like that.  That's a whole lot of "yeah, they are pretty good" without a whole lot of greatness. 

Of course,  Purdy  probably would fall into that category of "yeah, he's pretty good" which probably struggles with that difficulty of returning 

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

It's really kind of crazy seeing them lined up like that.  That's a whole lot of "yeah, they are pretty good" without a whole lot of greatness. 

Of course, that could give you a different reason to worry about Purdy given that I think he probably would fall into that category of "yeah, he's pretty good" lol

That is true lol. I do think Burrow has the best chance to get back that’s currently playing but injuries could get in the way for him. 

Im shocked McNabb never got back considering he was always on the doorstep in the NFCCG with Reid. He played in 5 and was (1-4) in them. 

Edited by stl4life07

1 hour ago, stl4life07 said:

Not really. It's just a weird stat that has no bearing on what'll happen in the future.

8 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Not really. It's just a weird stat that has no bearing on what'll happen in the future.

I would agree but since 1976 only two QBs ever went back after losing in their first start and since 2000 no QB has went back. That’s a very large sample size. And it’s easy to say once a QB lose that their team will be back. How many people had Hurts going back this season? How many had Burrow getting back after he lost? And as I mentioned McNabb went to 5 NFCCG so he had plenty of chances to get back but didn’t. 

Im sure eventually someone will breakthrough. Goff should’ve done it this season. Up 17pts in the 2nd half and the Lions blew it. But the more the league has great QBs like Herbert, Lawrence, Lamar, Stroud, Allen, then Caleb, Jayden, and Maye next season harder it will be for guys like Burrow, Goff, and Hurts to get back and whomever else ends up on this list. 

1 hour ago, stl4life07 said:

Since 1976 only two QBs (Elway and Kelly) have made it back to the Superbowl after losing in their first Superbowl start. Since 2000 no QB that lost in their first Superbowl start ever made it back.

That means if Purdy loses it’s going to be hard to see him going back to the Superbowl. 

Thats not how statistics work.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

I would agree but since 1976 only two QBs ever went back after losing in their first start and since 2000 no QB has went back. That’s a very large sample size. And it’s easy to say once a QB lose that their team will be back. How many people had Hurts going back this season? How many had Burrow getting back after he lost? And as I mentioned McNabb went to 5 NFCCG so he had plenty of chances to get back but didn’t. 

Im sure eventually someone will breakthrough. Goff should’ve done it this season. Up 17pts in the 2nd half and the Lions blew it. But the more the league has great QBs like Herbert, Lawrence, Lamar, Stroud, Allen, then Caleb, Jayden, and Maye next season harder it will be for guys like Burrow, Goff, and Hurts to get back and whomever else ends up on this list. 

After McNabb made a Super Bowl, the Eagles only made one more NFCCG with him (2008). He lost his 1st three appearances