Super Bowl LVIII: Kansas City Chiefs vs. San Francisco 49ers

Chiefs or 49ers  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins Super Bowl 58?

• Chiefs
    • 49ers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/11/2024 at 11:30 PM

I don't know the 49ers cap situation but it would seem to my unresearched opinion that if they can't pay Purdy next season, there is nothing really stopping them from being the favorite next season in the NFC? 

7 hours ago, Forge said:

I will say, looking back at the QBs who lost their first super bowl going back the last 30 or so ... Not a great crop of QBs since Kelly lol

Hurts tbd... Burrow seems a high end QB if healthy...Jimmy Garappolo, Jared Goff, Matt Ryan, Cam Newton, Colin Kaepernick, Rex Grossman, Matt Hasselbeck, Donovan McNabb, Jake Delhomme, Rich Gannon, Kerry Collins, Steve McNair, Chris Chandler, Drew Bledsoe, Neil O'Donnell and Stan Humphries

A bunch of guys who had a great one off here or there with Ryan / McNair / cam sprinkled in and a lot of averagish guys. 

The conversation that used to take place and still takes place of can "QB X be a Super Bowl winning QB??" is and always has been stupid. An average QB can win a SB but the great ones are the ones that keep your team in contention every year. But even those elite all timers typically only end up with one appearance. You have Young, Rodgers and Brees that only made one SB despite having some damn good teams. So @stl4life07 , you saying the Niners fans should hope Purdy gets it done or else he likely never makes it back? That is true for most QBs, even those that WIN on their first and only SB trip. Stafford won in 2021 and there is a great chance that will be his lone SB trip. Nick Foles made it once only and won and that was it....List the top 10-15 QBs since the 80s and see how many SB trips those QBs had. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Soggust said:

I don't know the 49ers cap situation but it would seem to my unresearched opinion that if they can't pay Purdy next season, there is nothing really stopping them from being the favorite next season in the NFC? 

Correct, they will basically be the same team next year minus a few changes. Even in 2025 when he gets his deal, the cap won't really take a big hit that year. But there are a bunch of players who have gotten paid and others in Aiyuk and Hufanga that are up soon. Will have to release some core players or just forgo signing one of these studs to a long-term deal. That is the case for every team though. 

We finally have our 1st round pick this year with 11 picks. Will need to pick up at least two starters from this draft and the following draft. If we do that, then we should be in solid shape. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

The conversation that used to take place and still takes place of can "QB X be a Super Bowl winning QB??" is and always has been stupid. An average QB can win a SB but the great ones are the ones that keep your team in contention every year. But even those elite all timers typically only end up with one appearance. You have Young, Rodgers and Brees that only made one SB despite having some damn good teams. So @stl4life07 , you saying the Niners fans should hope Purdy gets it done or else he likely never makes it back? That is true for most QBs, even those that WIN on their first and only SB trip. Stafford won in 2021 and there is a great chance that will be his lone SB trip. Nick Foles made it once only and won and that was it....List the top 10-15 QBs since the 80s and see how many SB trips those QBs had. 

Stafford is 36. Age is going to prevent him from going back. But Id like to think just from how the Rams are set up now that these next two seasons are going to determine whether or not Stafford gets back. Foles wasnt supposed to even be starting in the Superbowl. That was meant for Wentz who was having an MVP season before getting hurt.

All Im saying is regardless of how quirky history is, we cant ignore it. Until someone breaks through then this trend will continue. I do think circumstances are reasons behind it. The good news for Purdy that IF he loses he is set up perfectly to get back and break that trend. He isnt going anywhere and neither is Kyle. So we have Burrow, Hurts, and Purdy all will be true tests for this trend. It would be hard to think all got to the Superbowl super early into their careers on great teams and never get back. 

9 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Stafford is 36. Age is going to prevent him from going back. But Id like to think just from how the Rams are set up now that these next two seasons are going to determine whether or not Stafford gets back. Foles wasnt supposed to even be starting in the Superbowl. That was meant for Wentz who was having an MVP season before getting hurt.

All Im saying is regardless of how quirky history is, we cant ignore it. Until someone breaks through then this trend will continue. I do think circumstances are reasons behind it. The good news for Purdy that IF he loses he is set up perfectly to get back and break that trend. He isnt going anywhere and neither is Kyle. So we have Burrow, Hurts, and Purdy all will be true tests for this trend. It would be hard to think all got to the Superbowl super early into their careers on great teams and never get back. 

Right, and how old were Brees and Rodgers when they won the SB? Steve Young still played four years after he won the SB with some top level teams and never got back. These are three ALL timers. Don't let what Mahomes/Brady do fool you in thinking it is easy for any of these QBs to get back. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Right, and how old were Brees and Rodgers when they won the SB? Steve Young still played four years after he won the SB with some top level teams and never got back. These are three ALL timers. Don't let what Mahomes/Brady do fool you in thinking it is easy for any of these QBs to get back. 

Also what about Big Ben, Russ, Eli, and Peyton? All won their first time in the Superbowl then went back. So it’s more than just Brady and Mahomes since 2000. 

Again I never said it was easy getting to a Superbowl and definitely it’s not easy getting back I’m just saying the trend of those who lose in their first Superbowl start never got back since 2000 and only two got back since 1976. Again there are various reasons we can point to but it’s an interesting trend imo. 

Edited by stl4life07

1 minute ago, stl4life07 said:

Also what about Big Ben, Russ, Eli, and Peyton? All won their first time in the Superbowl then went back. So it’s more than just Brady and Mahomes since 2000. 

Again I never said it was easy getting to a Superbowl and definitely it’s not easy getting back I’m just saying the trend of those who lose in their first Superbowl start never got back since 2000 and only two got back since 1976. Again there are various reasons we can point to but it’s an interesting trend imo. 

Sure, I never said QBs don't or can't go back. But there just as many, if not more that only make it there once. Winning is HARD. It takes a lot for the team to make it to the SB, let alone win it. The Niners could have very easily lost to the Packers and Lions...Last year the Chiefs were close to getting sent home again by the Bengals. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Soggust said:

They are pretty flat next year with no priority free agents. The team should largely be back with minimal change from this year. 

The biggest concern would be that they are an older team (4th oldest team by snap adjusted age) and they have substantial injury concerns to key players that likely aren't going to get better as they age. 

Bigger changes start to happen in 2 years when Purdy has to be paid. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Did anyone have Sam Darnold as the first QB of the 2018 class to go to the Super Bowl?

In 2018?  I mean it wasn't that crazy to think of.  In 2024? No....

QB Class of 2018 (in order): Mayfield, Darnold, Allen, Rosen, Lamar, Rudolph, Lauretta, White, Falk, Lee, Etling, McGough, Woodside, Allen, Boyle, and Wolford

7 minutes ago, MaddHatter said:

In 2018?  I mean it wasn't that crazy to think of.  In 2024? No....

QB Class of 2018 (in order): Mayfield, Darnold, Allen, Rosen, Lamar, Rudolph, Lauretta, White, Falk, Lee, Etling, McGough, Woodside, Allen, Boyle, and Wolford

My mistake then - Wolford went with the Rams.

16 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

My mistake then - Wolford went with the Rams.

Honestly didn't know that and wasn't my intention when I posted that, haha.  I was saying in 2018 it wasn't crazy to think the 2nd QB off the board might be the first to the Super Bowl.  But in 2024, I didn't have Darnold going to the SB before Allen or Lamar, but I also didn't have him as the backup QB for the team that would go there.

Edited by MaddHatter

5 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Sure, I never said QBs don't or can't go back. But there just as many, if not more that only make it there once. Winning is HARD. It takes a lot for the team to make it to the SB, let alone win it. The Niners could have very easily lost to the Packers and Lions...Last year the Chiefs were close to getting sent home again by the Bengals. 

But this discussion isnt about the QBs who won and never got back. This discussion is about the QBs who lost their first Superbowl start and never got back. 

Since 2000 thats (13) QBs who lost their first Superbowl start and never went back which is NONE compared to (7) QBs who won their first Superbowl start and did go back. 

So again no matter how you look at it and what couldve been and shouldve been it didnt happen. Again I expect the trend to eventually be broken the question is when? Only time shall answer that.