Dirty Green Mock Offseason

rickyt31

Working Boots Riley GIF by Sorry To Bother You - Find & Share on GIPHY |  Giphy, Crazy friday, Movie scenes

WARNING:

This offseason may trigger you. I avoided adding contract details because we'll just argue until we're all wrong. I only do 1 mock every year. 

RESIGN/EXTENSION 

The thriving NY Jets duo more people should be talking about
K - Greg Zuerlein (3yr+)
S - Jordan Whitehead (2yr)
OT - Austin Deculus (1yr)
P - Thomas Morstead (1yr)
CB - DJ Reed (2yr + restructure to free up $4M)
ILB - CJ Mosely (Restructure for $5M) 

CUTS

John Franklin-Myers Loves His Role as Starter/Contributor on Jets D-Line
CJ Uzomah (+5.3M)
Laken Tomlinson (+8.1M) 
Carl Lawson (+0M)
John Franklin-Myers (+7.3M) 

FREE AGENCY 

It's time for Bills lineman David Edwards to catch a pass

OG - David Edwards  (4yr)

Performed well in Buffalo and graded around 82 on PFF at 26 years old.

Almost 150 snaps and didn't allow a sack.

Buffalo can't afford to resign him. He's not a big name, but I think he could answer our problem IOL. 

PFF's Tyron Smith contract projection leaves Cowboys with easy decision
LT - Tyron Smith (2yr)

I really had to think about this one but this move could work. 

His problem isn't performance-based and we need an LT. I can't see us pulling the

younger big names who may be available, but I think we can get him and develop an LT behind him. 

We give him the best offer he's going to see and he becomes interested in playing with Rodgers.

Javon Kinlaw Tracks Down Kyler Murray in the Pocket
DT - Javon Kinlaw (3yr)

Big DT who is familiar with our coaches and scheme. 

Fantasy Football: Week 8 IDP Rankings & Tiers | Fantasy Football News,  Rankings and Projections | PFF
OLB - Azeez Al-Shaair (1-2yr) 

We really focus on improving the run defense. We add another Saleh guy to the defense. 

Panthers' Yetur Gross-Matos sees position switch to outside linebacker as  'breath of fresh air'
DE - Yetur Gross-Matos (1-2yr) 

After moving on from the other DE's, we add him to compete or rotate at DE. 

How much money will Falcons save by cutting Marcus Mariota?
QB - Marcus Mariota (1yr)

This could be any vet with a decent TD/INT ratio. 

TRADES 

Building A Jets Core 2023: Bryce Huff - Gang Green Nation

Bryce Huff (Tag & Trade) -> <- Washington 40th pick (2nd)

I can't make sense of him walking or signing him to a long-term deal because of the cap next year. We could really use the pick.

Washington's pass rush wasn't good and the draft isn't loaded. This would be good for both sides IMO. 

DK Metcalf, Seahawks admit subpar effort led to surprising loss to Rams:  'They played harder'

2nd (LV) -> <- DK Metcalf 

He wasn't happy last season, new coaching staff coming in, and his deal is ending soon. We make the trade 

and extend/restructure his deal that work in our favor during Rodger's time. 

Zack Wilson -> <- Rams 217th pick (2025 pick)

A new beginning for him. 

10th Pick -> <- Raiders 13th + 44th pick. 

A good QB prospect falls to us and the Raiders jump the Broncos to make sure they get their guy. 

DRAFT 

Alabama OL JC Latham declares for the 2024 NFL draft
1(LV). JC Latham - OT / 6’6 360lbs

JC becomes OT3 in this draft after the combine and becomes a day 1 starter at RT. 

Xavier Worthy - Football - University of Texas Athletics
2(Wash). Xavier Worthy - WR / 6’1 180lbs 

Slips because of weight, but he's electric and can run all the routes. We use him 

inside and out. He's one of my favorites. 

Player Spotlight Notre Dame LB Marist Liufau
3. Marist Liufau - LB / 6’2 235lbs

BPA move here but I really like his aggressive style. He'll work on technique while competing 

at OLB and developing as a potential Mosely replacement in 2025. 

Anim Dankwah - Football - Howard University Athletics
4. Anim Dankwah - OT / 6’8 360lbs

Watched him recently. He will have to work on his hands but he's more athletic than most people think. 

He develops behind Tyron and eventually takes his place. 

Joe Milton III - Football - University of Tennessee Athletics
4(Den). Joe Milton - QB / 6’5 236lbs

We sit back and wait for Jordan, but someone takes him sooner than expected. We jump on Milton.

He starts as QB 3 to study Rodgers while competing for the #2 spot. 

What to know about Arizona State defensive back Ro Torrence
6. Ro Torrence - CB / 6’3 210lbs

Former Auburn/ASU prospect. Special teams pick but is tested at CB behind Reed. 

Penn State football: TE Theo Johnson in for a big 2023 season?
7. Theo Johnson - TE / 6’6 260lbs

Special teams and competition for TE 3. 

Ricky Pearsall - Football - Florida Gators
7. Ricky Pearsall - WR / 6’1 190lbs

I honestly don't know where he is being mocked, but I've seen him close to the bottom of a lot of lists. I really like him. WR 5/ Competition. 

Darrian Dalcourt - Football - University of Alabama Athletics
7. Darrian Dalcourt - C / 6’3 310lbs

Didn't do anything special at OG, but could make a good developing center. 

OL:
Smith, Edwards, and Latham are fresh faces on the OL. I didn't see us adding a bunch of rookies and expecting them to be ready to help Rodgers this season. Because our coaches/GM are on the Hot seat and we don't have a lot of CAP, I have a hard time seeing us locking in the biggest name on the market. Edwards, Latham, Tippman, and AVT could be locked in for the next 4+ years. Smith had an 87% win pass-blocking rating in 10 games last season. 847 snaps and only allowed 1 sack. I think he's worth a shot. Especially with the others developing behind him. 

QB: 

Cleary it's all about Rodgers but my hope is that we add another vet who is willing to sit behind Rodgers. Then adding a QB with high potential to develop. It could be any vet/rookie combination here but I really like the idea of taking a shot at Milton. If it works, we're getting at least 10 years out of him so I'm not concerned about QB age here. 

WR/TE: 

Metcalf is our big splash of the offseason. We've been targeting vet WRs for a while, so I think we'll finally land one here. Smith and Edwards shouldn't be expensive, so I can see us making this work. Metcalf/Wilson isn't just for Rodgers, but it's also for the next QB following him. Jobs are on the line, so we're definitely going to make a big move like this. 

RB: 

Hall and Abanikanda end up becoming our top RBs. 

DL: 

Although Jefferson wasn't bad, our run defense was bad. With Kinlaw available, I can see Saleh pushing for a new face that he's familiar with. Lawson isn't an impact player, we can live without JFM, and the money we would have given Huff goes to Metcalf to help the offense. JJ deserves more reps and YGM/McDonald works out for us. I believe McDonald will make his big leap with more reps. Doesn't make sense to keep our 1st pick at the bottom of the depth chart. 

LB: 

Mosely & Williams are great together. We are closing in on Mosely's contract and I don't know how much we're going to offer him when it's time to resign Sauce, Hall, JJ, and Wilson. So drafting an LB that can play OLB as well as be his potential replacement could be huge. Azeez is added with the uncertainty that we'll be able to add starting-caliber LB in the draft. Azeez can help improve the run defense and play as a gap until Luifau beats him. 

DB: 

I really wanted to add a starting FS, but I didn't want to force it here. I still think JBC will surprise people at safety, but we'll see. I could see us adding preseason cuts as depth and competition in the secondary. We had the 2nd best secondary in the league, so we're probably not going to force any new faces here. 

Love the direction, the DK Deal I’ll always be skeptical of just cause I just have a hard time seeing them moving off of him instead of Lockett(who would also be a good add), not a big Latham fan I don’t like his movement skills and think he’s much more a Guard at the next level give me Fuaga, other than that good job 

• Like 2

I am honestly not a fan. At all. We have a problem with injuries on the OL so we bring in a LT who is injured a lot?  And pay him big $?  Smith, like Brown, would be a very poor acquisition. As for Latham, he will be another Alabama OL bust like so many before him.  If Fashanu or Aly are not available at 10, it would be nice to trade and get the next best OL not from Alabama. If that is not doable, best WR.  Also adding another overly massive OT? Have we not learned?

Why cut JFM?  We are already incurring huge dead money hits, why add to it but cutting an actual good player for us?  There will be no sign and trade for Huff. Huff has little incentive to do so and if we tag him, it ties up cap space until June. Sadly, we either resign him (unlikely) or just let him walk. 

• Like 1

That would be hilarious for Commanders to give up 2 better pass rushers for a couple of 2nd rounders (plus some changes) and end up losing 2nd rounder for ascending pass rusher.  lol. 

Not sure about adding two big Tackles via Draft.  Heck, we at least addressed that area.

Did you honestly forget how angry were we with Jets taking James Morgan in 4th round? lol.  

Acquiring Metcalf would be awesome. 

• Like 1

No to Smith who needs a doctor on the sidelines during the course of his now waining career. Cut Mosley then sign him to a lesser contract for 2 years. No to Milton, Jets need to draft Ridder or Pratt in the 3-4 rounds. The need for OL can be addressed somewhat during FA as can WR (Ridley)

Draft down a few spots pick up a second rounder and 2025 3rd or something along those lines. Whitehead is terrible he needs to be replaced. Cutting JFM who is one of the better DL we have and has a manageable contract is a NO.

Restructuring QW contract into a signing bonus will free up cap space. 

There are simpler ways to make our needs work out, priority one, as Hall says is OL, get it fixed first and not with oldie but goodie players, but with quality young legs who have on durability issues.

Honestly, I wouldn't be against letting Whithead walk if he costs too much. Re-sign Ashytn Davis and Chuck Clark. Clark is coming off a injury, might be cheaper and I think he will excel in this defense. 

Jets might really like Whitehead though.

Ashtyn Davis is a good example of player development. He has gotten so much better during his time here. Last season he actually looked really good when he played. He had 8 PD, 3 INTs as a part time player. And he was always a really athletic guy.

I hope we bring back Solomon Thomas as well, great fit for our defense. But we need to add more size inside as well, that was hurt when Al Woods went down. 

Definitely seems like Bryce Huff might have to walk. Which sucks because we developed him into a good pass rusher. But he also wasn't double teamed much. Jermaine Johnson is the best DE on our roster, he was doubled much more and so was Q which allowed Huff to explode off the edge with 1v1 matchups. 

Will McDonald has the ability to breakout and be that 10+ sack guy. 

• Like 1