Montana vs Mahomes vs Manning

Kiwibrown

Who is the greatest of these three  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Best of the three

2. 2. 2nd best

3. 3. 3rd place

2 hours ago, HerbertGOAT said:

It's a goal that requires a heavy contribution from 52 other guys on the roster, an entire coaching staff, and can be undone by one mistake you have absolutely nothing to do with. If Vinatieri misses against the Rams and Panthers, or if James White fumbles on the goalline against the falcons in OT, is Brady a worse QB?

No, He'd be the exact same QB, But his ranking among the all time greats would be diminished.  He'd still be 20 points ahead of Montana and Mahomes by my formula.

I can't really speak on Joe Montana because I didn't watch him play, but I would feel comfortable taking Mahomes over Manning.  Just has been so much better in the postseason.  Peyton played in 10 more playoff games than Mahomes but only has 1 more TD while having 18 more INTs.  Even when taking into account for the eras they played in, that is a crazy difference.  

Mahomes probably won't win as many MVPs as Peyton (but maybe?) because winning 5 is hard to do, but the 2008 MVP for Peyton was iffy and in 2003 he shared it with Steve McNair. 

17 hours ago, Piquel said:

No, He'd be the exact same QB, But his ranking among the all time greats would be diminished.  He'd still be 20 points ahead of Montana and Mahomes by my formula.

So due to absolutely nothing that they could control, these guys legacies are swayed by anything they can directly control. That seems like a very flawed metric.

28 minutes ago, HerbertGOAT said:

So due to absolutely nothing that they could control, these guys legacies are swayed by anything they can directly control. That seems like a very flawed metric.

It's almost like I'm using the results for my rankings instead of what could have been.

1 - Tom Brady - The uncontested GOAT. 

2 - Patrick Mahomes - He is that good.  Even though he doesn't have the career stats of the others because he is still playing, what he does on the field elevates him above the others, IMO.

3 - Joe Montana - So cool under pressure.  He was Tom Brady before Brady passed him up with more rings.

4 - Peyton Manning - He accomplished everything you could ask for at least once.  He just didn't have the post season success of the others. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2024 at 9:07 PM, mdonnelly21 said:

I do think that yes, Brady is your easily Goat. 

Then pretty comfortable margin followed by Montana. Then a pretty comfortable margin then Peyton 

Then SMALL gap then Mahomes. 

If Mahomes wins another this year, I think he jumps ahead of Peyton and then you can start a legit argument between HE and Montana for #2. 

BUT 

This is your QB Mount Rushmore ATM. 

I said what I meant and meant what I said. 

1. Brady 100 

2. Montana 95 

3. Mahomes 95 

4. Manning. 94 

I got Montana the GOAT, period. Hell, I got Marino and Elway in 2nd and 3rd place, respectively. Then, I'd probably put Brady and Manning after those guys. I think the rules changes that overwhelmingly gave advantages to offense over defense clearly benefited modern QBs, allowing them to play 15+ years and break records.  So yeah, that knocks them down a few notches in my eyes. Doesn't mean they aren't great, but put Montana, Marino, Elway, Young, Favre, Moon, Aikman in today's league and they would feast. 

So as to this poll, Montana, Manning then Mahomes.