The Commanders Head Coaching Thread - Commanders hire Dan Quinn, Dallas Cowboys DC

1 minute ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I read that Smug Shanahan had good things to say on Quinn’s behalf. Hope Peters doesn’t consider that worm as a reliable source. 

The Elder or son ? not that it matters

11 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Yet there are coaches like Tomlin, Harbaugh, and Reid still producing results at high levels. 

I don't disagree that the league is leaving a lot of these coaches in the 20th century, but some can adapt, grow and change with the times. Those that can't fizzle out and get replaced. 

The sad thing is, I was stoked when we hired Ron Rivera. I thought he would bring credibility here. I thought he would bring discipline and culture here. And who knows, if Ron had a different owner and support structure, maybe the results could have been different. 

The one thing I have noticed over these past 5 seasons is that your coordinator choices and position coaches are just as important as the people running the show. 

I think Josh Harris, and his partners, and Adam Peters are smart enough to know what qualities you need in today's NFL. And like most of the things that are happening that are new, we just gotta see how they play out.

Dan Quinn’s leadership and culture vision and values, and who he put on the interview slides and plan for offensive coordinator, are critically important factors here.  Quinn, from working with Pete Carroll and Kyle Shanahan, probably has a substantial Rolodex of contacts who could fill that with us and install a credible, innovative offensive scheme.  

Again, it is not a sexy hire by any means, but the factors different here from Rivera is quite simple- Daniel Snyder, Josh Harris and Adam Peters.  

I’d prefer MacDonald or Glenn, but I think Quinn is a decent hire if we made it.  I’d be disappointed it’s not someone else though.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I would agree with this if he didn't have top 5 DVOA finishes in each of his three years as DC in Dallas.  He is clearly keeping up with the young offensive minds in this league (I'm not going to let the outlier of the GB game overcome the total body of work).

That said, I agree with the sentiment we should be looking for a young up-and-coming brilliant mind, and the only one left appears to be Macdonald.

Current order of preference from what appear to be the most likely candidates left:

• #1 Macdonald
    • Young, brilliant schemer, TBD on leadership ability
  • #2 Weaver
    • Young reported as a strong leader, assistant HC in Baltimore
  • #3 Quinn
    • Older, probably the strongest leader of the bunch, players coach, failed HC stint in ATL, top 5 defenses in DAL and SEA
  • #4 Glenn
    • Older, voted #1 favorite players coach, unimpressive defensive rankings

My guess is Seattle closes Macdonald and we go with Quinn.

Leslie Frazier said that MacDonald might have the most impressive acumen of the offensive side of the ball from a defensive coach that he worked with.  

I am not worried about defensive rankings at all from the coordinators, except for incremental improvements which Glenn had.  What matters is that players want to play for him, and that he’s likely to know what goes into a great locker room culture.  But can he implement it?  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Leslie Frazier said that MacDonald might have the most impressive acumen of the offensive side of the ball from a defensive coach that he worked with.  

I am not worried about defensive rankings at all from the coordinators, except for incremental improvements which Glenn had.  What matters is that players want to play for him, and that he’s likely to know what goes into a great locker room culture.  But can he implement it?  

That's awesome.  Do you have a link?

I care about defensive rankings if the coordinator is going to be calling plays for our defense for the next X number of years...

Well this process went from exciting for fans to if Macdonald signs in Seattle we like always are the odd team out for anything exciting. But we’ve constantly sucked so I guess thinking we were getting our top GM and then also a exciting coach is too much excitement for this fanbase for one offseason along with a great offseason

1 minute ago, HTTRDynasty said:

That's awesome.  Do you have a link?

I care about defensive rankings if the coordinator is going to be calling plays for our defense for the next X number of years...

To further clarify, here is where Glenn / Quinn ranked in defensive DVOA since 2021:

• 2021: 29th / 4th
  • 2022: 27th / 4th
  • 2023: 13th / 5th

Obviously, Quinn had better players.  But some of that was due to player development as well.

Just now, ARTMONK HOF said:

No. From what I’ve read Peters is on his way to Mobile for Senior Bowl 

Sounds like everything is going as it should then. If we aren't interviewing anyone else, it's pretty certain that one of the interviewed will get or has already gotten an offer for the job.