The Commanders Head Coaching Thread - Commanders hire Dan Quinn, Dallas Cowboys DC

8 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

That's awesome.  Do you have a link?

I care about defensive rankings if the coordinator is going to be calling plays for our defense for the next X number of years...

And I hope a head coach never has to call plays…….

7 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

Well this process went from exciting for fans to if Macdonald signs in Seattle we like always are the odd team out for anything exciting. But we’ve constantly sucked so I guess thinking we were getting our top GM and then also a exciting coach is too much excitement for this fanbase for one offseason along with a great offseason

Except for having a new owner and an actual GM……….

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Slappy Mc said:

All good news in my mind. If we were scrambling to interview more people, I would consider it a very bad sign. 

I would be totally fine if they were like ya Ben Johnson was our guy, he opted out so now we're going to interview more people. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

I would be totally fine if they were like ya Ben Johnson was our guy, he opted out so now we're going to interview more people. 

So it should be pretty clear then that they weren't locked into one option? 

Also, how terrible would that look optics-wise?

Just now, MKnight82 said:

Who cares? Just get the right guy. 

1. A professional football team that is trying to regain credibility from (probably) the worst ownership in sports history. 

2. Potential HC Candidates that would potentially apply for said opening. 

• Like 1

Just now, Slappy Mc said:

1. A professional football team that is trying to regain credibility from (probably) the worst ownership in sports history. 

2. Potential HC Candidates that would potentially apply for said opening. 

I think it would be worse to hire Dan Quinn because they are worried it makes them look bad. 

2 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

And look at their coaching trees.  Those guys have proven that they can call plays, and have the ability to delegate properly.  

sounds like a Turtle point/ argument. Fact is -They call plays . 

This is reminiscent of the Rivera thread when we hired him. From disdain to "well its not really all that bad". This is literally the same thing as hiring Rivera. The exact same thing. If you hire Quinn you will be doing this same search 3-4 seasons from now. I understand folks are just trying to come to grips with what is transpiring but this would be a bad hire and by all accounts, it appears to be him. I don't even see anyone else being talked about by the local media as much as Quinn. All that is being done now is just softening the blow to the fanbase. And Sheehan can say all he wants about not caring what the fanbase thinks but don't cry when the team is 6-9 and no fans are at the game. 

1 minute ago, RSkinGM said:

sounds like a Turtle point/ argument. Fact is -They call plays . 

I want a head coach who is the coach first and foremost.  If along the way they prove they can handle that, then I’m fine if they want to transition into playcalling.  

Fact is, how many times have we seen it taken away from coaches over the years, versus those who can do it successfully?  It is a smaller amount of coaches who lose it, versus those who keep it.  And I’m including those who are fired as well.  Because you’re not succeeding at calling plays if you can’t keep your job.  

8 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

And I hope a head coach never has to call plays…….

That’s not really a concern for me.

Both of the teams in the SB have their coaches as their primary offensive play-callers. They’ve been the two dominant teams in the league over the last 5 years or so. 

In fact, I think almost all of the recent champs had their HC calling the plays on his respective side of the ball (Belichick, Kubiak, Pederson, Reid, McVay). The only one that I think maybe didn’t is the Bucs — but you tell me how much of the playcalling you think was Byron Leftwich and how much was Arians/Brady. Honestly, that should be the dream for every team — scheme mastermind who can keep you consistently above-average or better on one side of the ball. 

Aside from maybe MacDonald, I don’t think any of the non-Belichick candidates out there really qualifies as a “scheme mastermind,” though. So practically speaking, I do agree with you. I don’t want Quinn or Glenn worrying about trying to run the defense — that’s not why we’d be hiring them.