The Commanders Head Coaching Thread - Commanders hire Dan Quinn, Dallas Cowboys DC

3 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

We already interviewed Eric B and I think we did a teleconference interview with Glenn already too. 

Trying to confirm the rules, but EB doesn't count because it's internal. Virtual doesn't count either. 

Other changes to the rule include requiring interviewing at least two external minority candidates for head coaching vacancies and one external minority candidate for coordinator positions. The Rooney Rule is also applicable to senior level front-office positions and vacancies for the quarterbacks coach, a common pipeline for future head coaches.

Nothing about virtual that I can find. 

Here’s what the rule looks like now:

1. The NFL requires every team to interview at least two external minority candidates for open head coaching positions and at least one external minority candidate for a coordinator job. Additionally, at least one minority and/or female candidate must be interviewed for senior-level positions. Such positions include team president and senior executives.

2. As of 2022, NFL teams are required to conduct outside interviews with a minority and/or female candidate for vacant quarterback coach positions. With so many prospective coaches beginning their careers in that role, the ruling is expected to help increase the pool of qualified minority coaches in the future.

3. If a team developed minority talent that went on to become general managers or head coaches with another NFL team, that team receives a third-round compensatory pick for two years. If a team lost both a coach and personnel member, it would receive a third-round compensatory pick for three years.

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

We've interviewed Anthony Weaver, Raheem Morris, and Aaron Glenn already. I don't see how we don't already comply with the Rooney Rule. 

If virtual doesn't count (still looking) and it has to be external, then the only actual in person one is Weaver correct? Glenn is like now or soon today, and Morris might not have happened because he got hired elsewhere. It was scheduled but I don't know if it happened. 

All I know is John Keim knows a lot more about this franchise then he lets on. He's been steadfast with the "Ben Johnson isn't a lock" thing for awhile now. That dude has been calling our draft picks and everything. I'm just going to listen to what he says from now on. He called both the Dotson and Forbes picks the day before the draft and basically called this. 

• Like 1

Just now, lavar703 said:

All I know is John Keim knows a lot more about this franchise then he lets on. He's been steadfast with the "Ben Johnson isn't a lock" thing for awhile now. That dude has been calling our draft picks and everything. I'm just going to listen to what he says from now on. He called both the Dotson and Forbes picks the day before the draft and basically called this. 

He's always been good. 

3 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

If virtual doesn't count (still looking) and it has to be external, then the only actual in person one is Weaver correct? Glenn is like now or soon today, and Morris might not have happened because he got hired elsewhere. It was scheduled but I don't know if it happened. 

https://operations.nfl.com/inside-football-ops/inclusion/the-rooney-rule/#:~:text=In 2021%2C the NFL approved,virtual — for a coordinator job.

In 2021, the NFL approved changes requiring every team to interview at least two external minority candidates in person for open head coach and GM positions and at least two external minority candidates — in person or virtual — for a coordinator job. Additionally, at least one minority and/or female candidate must be interviewed for senior level positions (e.g., club president and senior executives).

In recent years, the DEI Committee has proposed additional changes to strengthen the Rooney Rule, including:

Clubs must conduct an in-person interview with at least two external diverse — minority and/or female — candidates for any GM or head coaching interview.

Seems clear that it has to be in person for HC. 

https://theathletic.com/5191174/2024/01/10/nfl-coach-interview-rules/

Regarding head coaching jobs, teams must conduct an in-person interview with at least two external candidates who are people of color and/or women. Virtual interviews don’t satisfy Rooney Rule requirements, per the NFL.

58 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Look man, I'll be happy with MacDonald or Slowik but there is no way you can sell me on old *** Belichick, White Ron Rivera i.e. Dan Quinn and Aaron Glenn who's basically never coached a good defense. 

It doesn’t matter how well or how poorly Aaron Glenn has coached a defense.  What matters to me is that Glenn is a leader, and if they find that in him, I can overlook some of his results.  

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2024/01/04/detroit-lions-aaron-glenn-ranked-top-coordinator-in-nfl-player-survey/72109036007/

Players seem to want to play for Glenn.  After Club Jay and how Rivera hung players out to dry, this is the kind of coach we want to have.  You also see his defenses have made incremental improvements over the past three years, and he provided one of the best defenses against the run this year.  

• Like 1