Cincinnati Bengals       21.6%
Miami Dolphins           21.5%
Houston Texans           21.0%
Las Vegas Raiders        19.4%
San Francisco 49ers      18.0%
New York Jets            16.3%
Indianapolis Colts       15.7%
</PRE>

There we go. Fangio doesn't blitz much and Raheem is about league average. It's just more, not a lot. I was definitely wrong on Staley. He blitzed a lot, ineffectively.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2023/opp.htm

Edited by nagahide13

17 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

I think Staley actually blitzed a lot on 3rd down so I'll concede that. I need to find a good resource for these stats.

The Fangio defense is designed to create pressure through misdirection and winning at the line. I found this a sec ago;

https://www.readoptional.com/p/the-book-of-fangio-part-i-the-philosophy

That's also what Raheem relied on. He was often using simulated pressures.

Now I'm flabbergasted that Baltimore didn't blitz more. 8th in blitzing and #1 in expected points. There was so much focus on Baltimore and how they were blitzing more this season. They really weren't.

They went from -32.38 expected points to +113.76 in a year. In interviews Macdonald talked a lot about how he was blitzing more. I'd be interested to see a good breakdown of what they actually changed other than the massive personnel turnover.

34 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

That's also what Raheem relied on. He was often using simulated pressures.

No argument. He had less to work with and got a ton out of them. He's more aggressive and uses more looks than Fangio too.

The Shanahan Clan slayer himself becomes Seattle's new head coach. Pete is still with the organization too in some consultant/managerial role is he not??? 

I'm not a fan. He has a chance to be a good one. Seattle's top brass probably saw what the Ravens did to the Rams, and 49ers in the division, and zeroed in on dawg. 

Will be interesting to see how he improves that roster without the Ravens infrastructure that has been consistently good in finding/drafting, and developing players.

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

1 hour ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Pete is still with the organization too in some consultant/managerial role is he not??? 

No I think it was purely for him to save face, I've read from multiple sources he's not going to be involved in anything Seahawks related. 
Apparently that Carroll mentioned during the season that he was going to retire after the end of the year, only to change his mind once the season was over but by then Schneider had already decided that the franchise would be better off with a new coach (which I think is totally right). 
MacDonald was probably the best hire possible given that Ben Johnson wasn't an option anymore. Can't wait to see who he's bringing with him to fill the coaching vacancies!

1 hour ago, Tank4Drake said:

?

Rams had a great offensive game against Macdonald. 

Having one 'bad' game against a top 5 offense (which the Rams were with everyone was healthy), isn't exactly a death sentence. Marino destroyed the 85 Bears. Brunell crushed the 2000 Ravens.

33 minutes ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

Having one 'bad' game against a top 5 offense (which the Rams were with everyone was healthy), isn't exactly a death sentence. Marino destroyed the 85 Bears. Brunell crushed the 2000 Ravens.

That wasn’t the point I was making. I’m not concerned by it. He said Macdonalds game against the Rams was impressive. 

5 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

I think Staley actually blitzed a lot on 3rd down so I'll concede that. I need to find a good resource for these stats.

The Fangio defense is designed to create pressure through misdirection and winning at the line. I found this a sec ago;

https://www.readoptional.com/p/the-book-of-fangio-part-i-the-philosophy

The whole concept is bend but don’t break and cause confusion on the line. Sometimes they ran a 6-2-3

I remember a ton of 3-2-6 or something crazy like that. We somehow were great against the run.. It was one of those aha what are they doing and why is it working. I had my gripes about Staley.. Against, good teams he couldn’t stop them. Those numbers were heavily skewed too because we shat on the whole NFC least that year… But the defense as a whole was new and refreshing. Plus you had prime Donald, Jalen and JJ3 so that helped a ton. Players seem to hate it because it causes confusion. When it works it’s actually beautiful. It stops slants and crossing routes, defenders pass the assignment off to a different defender. 

It’s changed how many teams play. The pacers did the same thing during the whole PG, Roy Hibbert and Vogel era. They would let you take the mid but contest everything else. Now every team runs that variation of defense. JJ was talking to George about how they were forced to play that with the clippers..