Mike Macdonald finalizing deal to become Seattle's new Head Coach

The Gnat

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Mike Mac also passed on the WAS job to take the SEA job.

Again, people do not want this job, but apparently "there is no better situation" according to you.

The WAS job was really only super attractive for an ambitious offensive-minded HC IMO. One who was willing to go through some early growing pains with a young GM and QB. 

Our defense needs major work, so I doubt it’s attractive to an HC who would be primarily judged by the results of that same defense.  I would have chosen the Seahawks too for that reason if I were Macdonald. 

• Like 1

They must really think bad of Washington. Even with all that cap space and draft capital. 

you never know man might be a blessing. The chiefs got Mahomes because the year prior they were trying to trade up for Paxton Lynch and missed out. 

45 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

The WAS job was really only super attractive for an ambitious offensive-minded HC IMO. One who was willing to go through some early growing pains with a young GM and QB. 

Our defense needs major work, so I doubt it’s attractive to an HC who would be primarily judged by the results of that same defense.  I would have chosen the Seahawks too for that reason if I were Macdonald. 

Gonna be hilarious if you guys end up with Dan Quinn though after saying all of this.

3 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Is it a given that Washington goes QB at #2 or do they still like Howell?

(or does that entirely depend on the coaching staff?)

I would say it’s more likely than not. But nothing is guaranteed. 

1 minute ago, El Ramster said:

They must really think bad of Washington. Even with all that cap space and draft capital. 

you never know man might be a blessing. The chiefs got Mahomes because the year prior they were trying to trade up for Paxton Lynch and missed out. 

I think the cap + draft capital is probably overblown when it comes to what head coaches care about.

It matters a lot more for GMs, who can afford to think long term. Most head coaches only have 2-3 years to impress. Cap + draft capital only represents potential at this point, and even if it works out, can still take some years to materialize. 

• Like 1

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Gonna be hilarious if you guys end up with Dan Quinn though after saying all of this.

I think that’s probably the most likely scenario at this point. One thing I was going to put in my post is that it’s still probably attractive enough for any defensive-minded head coach who is doesn’t have many options (E.g., Quinn). 

I think the cap + draft capital is probably overblown when it comes to what head coaches care about.

It matters a lot more for GMs, who can afford to think long term. Most head coaches only have 2-3 years to impress. Cap + draft capital only represents potential at this point, and even if it works out, can still take some years to materialize. 

Yup. What coaches care about is the organization set up and if they will be able to run their program properly. I think Washington's setup may have scared some candidates away. I might be wrong, but there seems to be a ton of voices in the building and some of these candidates may not be comfortable with that setting. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, game3525 said:

Yup. What coaches care about is the organization set up and if they will be able to run their program properly. I think Washington's setup may have scared some candidates away. I might be wrong, but there seems to be a ton of voices in the building and some of these candidates may not be comfortable with that setting. 

more voices in the room than talent on the roster tbh

2 hours ago, game3525 said:

Curious as to what voices you are referring to? 

The current pecking order is owners->Adam Peters. Josh Harris is notorious for hiring people and letting them run the show. 

3 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

I'm not entirely sure if Staley failed based on personality or a completely obsolete defensive scheme. Probably both. 2 high doesn't make sense. I'm not sure how Fangio ever had success with it.

Way off base. A significant percentage of the NFL have essentially emulated what Fangio and Staley were pioneering.

2 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I think that’s probably the most likely scenario at this point. One thing I was going to put in my post is that it’s still probably attractive enough for any defensive-minded head coach who is doesn’t have many options (E.g., Quinn). 

Replace Ron Rivera with another Ron Rivera? Have they interviewed Mike Vrabel?

15 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Curious as to what voices you are referring to? 

The current pecking order is owners->Adam Peters. Josh Harris is notorious for hiring people and letting them run the show. 

I thought I read that some of old regime was still involved?

4 minutes ago, game3525 said:

I thought I read that some of old regime was still involved?

Hurney and Mayhew are still on the payroll and Mayhew probably stays in some capacity, but they are most likely managing the scouts and have little to no involvement in the HC search. 

• Like 1