Mike Macdonald finalizing deal to become Seattle's new Head Coach

The Gnat

He's probably the best candidate on the market this year. Great signing. What is Washington going to do? It seems clear that they aren't going to get one of their top... 5 choices? You can't just settle for a HC. Bieniemy's time to shine finally?

As a bitter Ravens fan, I'll offer this: he did slightly give me Brandon Staley 2.0 vibes. He has a meek, bland personality that I never thought would be a great leader of men.

He's definitely good at mixing coverages. I'm not sure how much credit he should get for the front 7 and the pass rush because Anthony Weaver and Chuck Smith are doing great work there. MacDonald basically dials up pass defenses and allows space to run the ball because Roquan cleans up any mess between the tackles. MacDonald's defenses got much better after the Roquan trade, but Roquan is an All Pro and Seattle doesn't have that kind of off-ball LB. He will have to focus much more controlling running lanes on 1st and 2nd down with Seattle than with Baltimore.

Lastly, the Ravens have built up an infrastructure that has given them good to great defense for the past 25 years (only below average defenses in regular season came during injury decimated years (such as 2015, 2021). This includes draft, development, talent eval, and coaching. I guess it remains to be seen how much MacDonald benefited from that or if he is capable of creating that infrastructure in Seattle.  

• Like 3