CB

3rivers

36 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

which CB's  in UFA would be the best for this team in order of preference?

I expect OL early in the draft, but get a proven CB in UFA . 

Two biggest names are Jaylon Johnson and L'Darius Sneed. Both would be great fits.

I also like Shaq Griffin. I don't know what he will command, but he would not be a bad second guy to add in my opinion.

34 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

but he would not be a bad second guy

I prefer Sneed, not just another '2nd guy' more of a legit WR1 cover CB just like Porter. Thats the way to solve CB and maybe learn a few ways to defend #15 if that ever matters

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rlon said:

Go young at corner, go Vet at safety…cheaper and more realistic for this org.

cheaper yes, proven no

in the passing league, get proven CB to go with lockdown  2nd year CB

Sneed and Porter ;)

• Like 1

They may just prefer to get a solid #2 CB type instead of dropping big $$$ on someone like Snead or Johnson…I don’t know.

But either way it’ll be addressed in FA or high in the draft.

7 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

I prefer Sneed, not just another '2nd guy' more of a legit WR1 cover CB just like Porter. Thats the way to solve CB and maybe learn a few ways to defend #15 if that ever matters

You are likely setting yourself up for disappointment. They are not spending 18 million per for a corner when they feel they already have their shut down guy. I am not saying I disagree with what is optimal, but there is reality with the Steelers. This is one of their realities. 

1 hour ago, 3rivers said:

and how to stay near .500 and get blown out in the playoffs.

the steeler way

I'd rather the 'Steeler Way', than the 

Commander's way, or Chargers...or Bears...or Cardinals...or Panthers...or Jets...or Dolphins...or...well, you get the point.

We've won at least 10 games, 6 out of the last 10 seasons, and 2 of those were 9 wins and a tie.

I'd rather be relevant every year (whether we win in the Playoffs  or not), than be at least half of teams that go 5-7 years with no playoff appearances, then win one game, then another several years with no relevance.  But to each their own, I guess... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 3rivers said:

and how to stay near .500 and get blown out in the playoffs.

the steeler way

Yes, and you already see that approach in the off-season so far, trying to get better at more of the same. So I don’t see a radical departure. 

• Like 1

I mostly like the idea of young at CB - veteran at safety approach.
As a rule, I think you draft for trenches, QBS and CBs.

However, you would really change this defence with either CB L.Sneed or DL C.Wilkins.

If they’re going to splash big money in FA, I’d rather have them go after Queen and then draft Wiggins in the first. Having 2 rookie contract CB and an all pro ilb is a better option with where we draft vs. signing a top $ cb with a hole in the middle of the field and nobody there when we draft. Going CB in the first means OC isn’t addressed but I think we can find very solid centers in the 2nd or 3rd compared to the CB position. We have needs everywhere but OL is definitely deeper than secondary and there will be guys deeper in the draft 

Also really hoping Trice can come back and be effective 

Edited by SteelersFan2333

On 2/3/2024 at 6:59 PM, mwalker said:

I mostly like the idea of young at CB - veteran at safety approach.
As a rule, I think you draft for trenches, QBS and CBs.

However, you would really change this defence with either CB L.Sneed or DL C.Wilkins.

Sneed and Porter erase WR1 and WR2. This leaves Minkah to play centerfield in the middle all the time and take away TE's and or slot all while there is someone covering them. The benefits of 2 lockdown CB's, it's right there waiting for Khan to make it happen day 1 in  UFA - sign Sneed.  Trice and Rush might end up being decent, but make sure and get a legit proven CB1.1 ;)

What will Wilkins cost?   I can't see them cutting Heyward and or Ogunjobi,  but wait and see. Agree, Wilkins would be a major help on a questionable  DL . 

I still don't know what to expect with Khan. He did some good last year, then he extended mitch. He could easily pull another mitch or a few of them and there goes the season. 

2 hours ago, SteelersFan2333 said:

Also really hoping Trice can come back and be effective 

this is who erases the TE.  Forget the proven  ILB curse for TE's, have Trice do this . Peterson would be another player for this, but he should be gone IMO - he won't tackle and thats no good.  But he is a tomlin player that will be here, you can count on it

5 hours ago, 3rivers said:

Sneed and Porter erase WR1 and WR2. This leaves Minkah to play centerfield in the middle all the time and take away TE's and or slot all while there is someone covering them. The benefits of 2 lockdown CB's, it's right there waiting for Khan to make it happen day 1 in  UFA - sign Sneed.  Trice and Rush might end up being decent, but make sure and get a legit proven CB1.1 ;)

What will Wilkins cost?   I can't see them cutting Heyward and or Ogunjobi,  but wait and see. Agree, Wilkins would be a major help on a questionable  DL . 

I still don't know what to expect with Khan. He did some good last year, then he extended mitch. He could easily pull another mitch or a few of them and there goes the season. 

this is who erases the TE.  Forget the proven  ILB curse for TE's, have Trice do this . Peterson would be another player for this, but he should be gone IMO - he won't tackle and thats no good.  But he is a tomlin player that will be here, you can count on it

Agree on Sneed.
I know C.Wilkins is unlikely, but as post June cut, I think LarryO should be considered, as he'd save us like 8 mil.
I think he's way overpaid for what he brings. That, and I think Cam isn't for much longer. Wilkins solidifies that unit
with Benton for the log haul. Miami will probably franchise him.