Travis Kelce / George Kittle

mdonnelly21

Kittle can't stay on the field and is a sloppier route runner. I was pounding the table for Kittle being better than Kelce mainly because of the blocking back in 2019 or so, but Kittle kept getting hurt and Kelce kept breaking records. Kittle is great and if he stays healthy he's a HOFer, but I think he'll be compared moreso to the next era of TEs (Hockenson, LaPorta, Pitts, etc.) than Kelce.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HerbertGOAT said:

Since we're doing it, my TE top 5

Gronk

Gonzo

Kelce

Winslow

Gates

HM: Ditka, Sharpe, Witten, Mackey

That’s roughly mine exactly. 

im glad you have Gronk and Gonzo 1/2 

I could also just based on career see Gonzo 1 

But in terms of Prime no other TE in history could do the things Gronk can do 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaddHatter said:

Where’s your list? How many you got above Witten?

Witten is the least special out the bunch. The slowest by far, guy was a cement truck. He was consiste but nothing wow about him. First one in last out type of guy. Ran the slowest routes I’ve ever seen in my life. My guy said smooth one time and I threw up in my mouth. Witten Witten was a product of great Qb play in the regular season. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, El Ramster said:

Witten is the least special out the bunch. The slowest by far, guy was a cement truck. He was consiste but nothing wow about him. First one in last out type of guy. Ran the slowest routes I’ve ever seen in my life. My guy said smooth one time and I threw up in my mouth. Witten Witten was a product of great Qb play in the regular season. 

Witten wasn’t the most athletic, that’s for sure. But he also played in a more traditional offense where half the passing plays, he stayed in to block.  He rarely lined out wide and almost always was covering a tackle.  Sometime he would run a route, sometimes he’d run a delayed route and often he would just stay in and block.  He was an elite all-around TE that did everything well.  He would block a teams best DE and win 1-on-1. He would run routes and always find holes to get open.  He was always the 3rd option at best, but he was always the safety valve the QB could trust to be there.  He had excellent hands and great at shielding out a defender to secure the catch.  He was never going to Miss someone, but as you said he would out work you and grind you down all game.  And despite not being force fed the ball or being the #1-2 option and despite spending half his snaps blocking, he still wound up being one of the most productive TEs in NFL history.  There’s a place in the discussion for someone like that, but I respect that not everyone will have him over the more athletic WRs playing TE like Kelce.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MaddHatter said:

Witten wasn’t the most athletic, that’s for sure. But he also played in a more traditional offense where half the passing plays, he stayed in to block.  He rarely lined out wide and almost always was covering a tackle.  Sometime he would run a route, sometimes he’d run a delayed route and often he would just stay in and block.  He was an elite all-around TE that did everything well.  He would block a teams best DE and win 1-on-1. He would run routes and always find holes to get open.  He was always the 3rd option at best, but he was always the safety valve the QB could trust to be there.  He had excellent hands and great at shielding out a defender to secure the catch.  He was never going to Miss someone, but as you said he would out work you and grind you down all game.  And despite not being force fed the ball or being the #1-2 option and despite spending half his snaps blocking, he still wound up being one of the most productive TEs in NFL history.  There’s a place in the discussion for someone like that, but I respect that not everyone will have him over the more athletic WRs playing TE like Kelce.

There’s nothing he does better than Kittle. Kittle is a more athletic, faster and stronger version of Witten. Why would I settle for a slow white guy, when I can get a faster one and is just as dominant as a blocker. You’re only putting Witten because of his longevity numbers. That’s where the push back comes. There is nothing Witten has ever done that warrants him top 5 besides looking at numbers. Out of the top 5 Tes of all time Witten avgs the lowest YPG. Kittle plays the same exact role in a run heavy offense and avgs 64 yards to Wittens 48. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, El Ramster said:

There’s nothing he does better than Kittle. Kittle is a more athletic, faster and stronger version of Witten. Why would I settle for a slow white guy, when I can get a faster one and is just as dominant as a blocker. You’re only putting Witten because of his longevity numbers. That’s where the push back comes. There is nothing Witten has ever done that warrants him top 5 besides looking at numbers. Out of the top 5 Tes of all time Witten avgs the lowest YPG. Kittle plays the same exact role in a run heavy offense and avgs 64 yards to Wittens 48. 

Proving you can do it for the long haul does hold merit.  Witten at 35 looked about the same as Witten at 25.  His game didn’t age - can Kittle keep up? His stats are on pace but he needs to hold up.  He’s also playing in a far different system than Witten ever did and while he’s a far better blocker than Kelce or Gronk were, I don’t think I’d ever leave him one-on-one with Parsons Crosby or Watt and expect it to go well.

• Like 1

Travis Kelce has Kittle beat pretty easily.  No TE in the history of the NFL had 7 straight 1000+ yard seasons in regular season alone, and would have been 8 straight if he had 16 more years this past year.

Sure Gonzalez and Gates have Kelce beat in terms of longevity but Kelce has not stopped playing obviously.  As for Gronk, he was good but nothing compared to Kelce as a pass catcher.  And sure Gronk could block but let us be honest he was not that damn good of a blocker, sure good for now a days.  Big body sure helped but Kelce is straight dynamic as a pass catcher, and both play with an all time great QB which helps each of them massively of course.  Kelce being in 6 straight AFC title games is very impressive as well, similar to the Patriots with 8 straight.

Still if Kelce can keep up that 1000 yard season track he is on, he will be hard to beat if he can put together 3-5 more solid seasons.  He just gets hatted on currently because it is so annoying hearing constantly about him in Taylor Swift.  But sure they will break up in a year or two and all will be back to normal.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MaddHatter said:

Where’s your list? How many you got above Witten?

Kelce, Gronk, Gonzo, Gates, Sharpe, for sure. Witten only even registers because he stuck around for a long time. If you made this a “who would you take for one season” question, you probably wouldn’t even take Witten in your top 20. 

He’s a better block than some of those guys (not Gronk, not even close) but you’re downplaying the other guys’ blocking by a massive margin if you think Kelce’s just a big body leaning into defenders. The huge gap in receiving doesn’t really make up for that blocking either, nor does Witten make up any ground for dominating his era. Gates has more APs, played in the same era. Tony has more APs, played in the same era. You saw Gronk in the tail end, Gronk was undeniably better. Kelce was a bit later, but was only the most consistent receiving threat at TE of all time. They were all bigger play threats than Witten. Most were better red zone threats. Kelce and Tony were getting more first downs, so you can’t even call him a better chain mover.

Witten was a solid all-around TE that stayed healthy and remained super consistent. He wasn’t a dominant receiver, YAC threat, red zone threat, or playmaker the way the others were. Basically the Frank Gore of TEs. He’d gash you the way Wes Welker gashed you, and as productive as he was, you had to fight getting him into top 10 receiver discussions. 

Quite frankly, Jason Witten could be a 6th OL level blocker (which he wasn’t, he was a really good blocking TE), and that wouldn’t make up for the difference between he and Kelce as receivers. 

• Like 2

On 2/9/2024 at 6:02 PM, Duluther said:

Witten belongs nowhere near those names. Stat compiler who was never dominant like them. To even have Witten above the likes of Travis Kelce is asinine.

Not looking at stats or accomplishments, Witten feels like Dallas Clark to me. Very good but not top 5 all time good

Edit- ok I just looked at the stats and I remember Dallas Clark a little more fondly than I should 😂

Edited by adamq
  • Like 1