2024 Hitman's Steeler Mock 1.0

Here is my first Mock of the off-season and pre-NFL Combine.

Free Agent Signings and draft needs:

CB - - Jaylon Johnson, L'Jarius Sneed, or Shaq Griffin

We need someone very good across from JP Jr. Good corners go fast so, I don't expect to get even a sip of Kool Aid at 20 or any of the other top three CB's. 

Punter- - r: @3rivers Taking your advice and signing Matt Ariza!!!! I just remembered he was out there.

ILB - - Shaq Leonard or Isaiah Simmons

I don't want to spend a #1 at ILB with other needs and that is what it would take to get the top guy there. Add one of these two veterans and resign Alexander if he is recovered.

DL - - Jonathan Bullard or Quinton Jefferson

Not keeping Larry O. One of these two can fill the role and I am looking to draft to get younger.

SS - - Terrell Edmunds or Jeremy Chinn

Gotta move Minkah to free safety. One of these two help.

Center - - Tyler Biadasz

Cutting Mason and doing a one or two year deal for a better stopgap at Center. Gotta try to draft one of the big three as well.

OT - - Donovan Smith

I plan on losing Chuks. Solid veteran who is an improvement over both Chuks and Moore. Stopgap until drafted OT develops.

QB - - Resign Mason Rudolph and sign Carson Wentz as #3

The QB room is young and Mason and Kenny don't even have 50 games experience between them. Wentz is better than Mitch in my opinion and he has no pressure to out-perform either. Upside is that he could come in and do as Mason did last year. He has had some rough times and is a mature/mentor type to both Mason and Kenny. He won't cost big $$$ either.

WR - - Ray Ray McCloud or Ju Ju Smith Shuster

I personally, never wanted either of these guys to leave. Both will have played in a SB and made some $$$. Both offer different things as a slot. Both would be a decent stopgap until a WR is drafted and developed. Also, I am spending on CB1A, so I have to get some value guys here.

TE - - Look to sign via free agency or post draft a blocking TE. Waiting until someone cap casualty to compete as a blocking TE.

Here's my Mock 1.0:

thumb-15-scaled.jpg

With 20th pick of the 2024 NFL draft. The Pittsburgh Steelers select:

jackson-powers-johnson-oregon-state.jpg

1.    20 Jackson Powers Johnson Center Oregon 6'3 320. I am betting on free agency and history. Only three centers have gone before the 20th pick and they were at #18.  The teams in front of the Steelers that likely need a center are picking 16 & 17.  Steelers get their man. It's clobbering time!

maxresdefault.jpg

2.      51 Javon Bullard Safety UGA  5'11 180. Move Minkah back to FS and the Steelers now have to ball hawks when they employ their three Safety sets. Top OT's, Corners and DL's of value here are gone. BTW No Frazier or Van Pran left either.  I am glad I took a center early because in my scenario, if I didn't I would have missed out and had to reach at positions of need. So I stick with the board and go BPA and fill an under-rated need. Plus the Steelers never do what I think they should, so they surprise and go secondary, but not CB. They get a UGA guy, but not one of the players we thought.

Blake-Fisher.png

3.      84 Blake Fisher OT Notre Dame 6'6 320 - - Steelers get an under-rated value player who won't be a day one starter, but will develop and should be ready to take over in 2025. Broderick Jones talent, no, but a guy who can be solid to really good. I see him in the talent range of a Max Starks. 

MalachiCorley1.jpg

4 A. 119 Malachi Corley WR 5'11 210 Western Kentucky - - Need some help at WR. Potential tough stud at the next level. He is built like RB and tough. Steelers have been good at getting value at WR. This class is deep so he slips somewhat and is a potential mid-round home run the Steelers have lacked on day three of the draft.

maxresdefault.jpg

4 B.  120 Myles Murphy DT North Carolina 6'4 310 Fits an IDL need and you get a running mate to potentially match up with Benton. Not the Cam Heyward type, but more of a true IDL as I would classify as a good tweener between DL/NG.  He caught my eye at the EW Shrine and I like what I am seeing in research.

5. No Pick in Round Five - - Hope to get a pick here for trading  Chuks

loganlee-900x600.jpg

6.      196 Logan Lee 6'6 285 5Tech DL Iowa My project to have depth and length behind Cam. I hope Loudermilk can be a reliable back-up, but I have some doubts about being a future starter. Here's some insurance. He's coming off shoulder surgery, may help him fall, but I see value here.

maxresdefault.jpg

7.    237 Jawhar Jordan RB Louisville 5'11 185. I am hoping for a big sleeper pick here. Because I took 3rivers advice and signed Ariza as my punter, I can use this pick on an Anthony McFarland replacement in Jawhar Jordan.  I was set to draft the BYU or Iowa punter here. Smallish guy, but looks explosive. I have not done a deep dive, but have heard the name and I have liked what I have seen thus far. Under the radar and should definitely be drafted in this range or a free agent. He could surprise like Jalen did.

Steelers Final Roster:

Offense: 25

QB (3): Pickett, Rudolph, Carson Wentz

WR (5): Pickens, Dionte, Austin,  M. Corley, Ju Ju or Ray Ray

HB (3): Najee, Jalen, Igwebuike or Jawhar Jordan

FB (1): Conner Heyward

TE (3): Muth, Mt. Washington, Williams

Center (2): Biadasz, Jackson Powers Johnson

OG (4): Daniels, Seomalu, Herbig, Anderson

OT (4): Broderick,Donovan Smith, Moore, Anderson, Blake Fisher

Defense: 25

DE (4): Cam, Bullard or Jefferson, Lee

DT (3): Benton, Adams, Murphy

OLB (4): Watt, Highsmith, Golden, Herbig

ILB (4): Holcomb, Roberts, Alexander, Leonard or Simmons

CB (4): Porter, Johnson or Sneed, Trice, Rush

Nickel (1): Gonna change what I said earlier and contradict myself here. I keep Chandon Sullivan

SS (3): Edmonds or Chinn, Javon Bullard, Thompson

FS (2): Minkah, Rowe

Special Teams: 3

Kicker:  Da Wizard of Boz

Punter: Matt Ariza

LS: Christian Kuntz

2170-stock-image-by-stompstock.jpg

Fire away with comments and grades.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, rlon said:

Logan Lee is an interesting option with value there...like that.

I like a lot of Iowa prospects.  They seem to always have a few guys on the radar every year. This guy won't be an immediate impact player, but he looks like he could develop like Cam did.  It took Cam some time after coming in behind Brett Keisel. I had hoped Loudermilk would be ready to take over.

I am honestly not sure if it is the scheme or the players (with regard to time to develop).  He looks like he could be an excellent sleeper. The Steelers need to hit on more of these day three players.

@Steeler Hitman

Probably give it  an solid A

I was hoping for top tier OT, but if the C is THAT good, then can't go wrong. for the last 4 years or so, we learned the hard way how important C is. For some reason colbert forgot, glad he is gone

I don't agree with some of the kept players, but overall an A seems close enough and considering the effort you put in,  why not add to your soon to be HOF credentials hereB|. Plus it's not easy or probable to replace too many players in one offseason

Mt.Washington - good name and he needs more passes, not just once in a while either. Smith will get Mt.Washington going

Bring back Rell if they sign Sneed/Johnson. No responsibility for the safety to the outside, so Rell can stay in the box or  shallow middle more often.  

replace Adams with Linval or a legit anchor ;)

IIRC @43M was the one that brought up Ariza,  all while harvin was well on his way to ranking 36 out of 32 punters once again. The standard for  G.Chewer  and tomlins punting game

• Like 1

Regarding Ariza, he slept with an underage girl. While he didn't participate in the other illegal activity, that in itself is a morality issue I don't think the Steelers will risk.

I honestly feel JPJ will be gone by 20. This isn't the old NFL and teams are now being more aggressive getting their needs filled.

I love Bullard. He will get bigger and be a menace. Smart defender who can play CB, Slot, and Safety. Sign me up!

Not familiar with Fisher.

Corley is a thicker Slot WR that is more straightline. How does he fare vs press? Can he run routes? Reminds me of James Washington (height/weight) which is a turn off.

Murphy is interesting but is he JAG.

Lee ^^^^.

Not familiar with Jordan.

JPJ and Bullard are studs but the rest I'm kinda hesitant on. I do like the diversity of your players as you selected players you felt could be solid roster additions. Respect!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, armsteeld said:

Regarding Ariza, he slept with an underage girl. While he didn't participate in the other illegal activity, that in itself is a morality issue I don't think the Steelers will risk

I thought he was cleared eventually? 

I wouldn't advocate for him if he was proven guilty of that. 

then off to the USFL and CFL for G.Chewer to find a new punter, harvin has to be gone

14 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

I thought he was cleared eventually? 

I wouldn't advocate for him if he was proven guilty of that. 

then off to the USFL and CFL for G.Chewer to find a new punter, harvin has to be gone

Cleared of rape but he still slept with a minor. Some aren't bothered by that but I am.

16 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

Cleared of rape but he still slept with a minor. Some aren't bothered by that but I am.

not good at all, I can see why he is looking for a job. 

back to looking in the XFL and other leagues I guess, harvin has to be released 

3 hours ago, armsteeld said:

Regarding Ariza, he slept with an underage girl. While he didn't participate in the other illegal activity, that in itself is a morality issue I don't think the Steelers will risk.

I honestly feel JPJ will be gone by 20. This isn't the old NFL and teams are now being more aggressive getting their needs filled.

I love Bullard. He will get bigger and be a menace. Smart defender who can play CB, Slot, and Safety. Sign me up!

Corley is a thicker Slot WR that is more straightline. How does he fare vs press? Can he run routes? Reminds me of James Washington (height/weight) which is a turn off.

Lee ^^^^.

JPJ and Bullard are studs but the rest I'm kinda hesitant on. I do like the diversity of your players as you selected players you felt could be solid roster additions. Respect!

Have to disagree on much of what you're saying about Corley here. Very, very different to Washington.
Corley is rocked up like a RB, but he is super shifty and considered one of the best RAC guys in the draft.
He works great underneath and is a nightmare in the open field. 

He might not run a blazing 40 like X.Worthy or R.WIlson - but he's much more athletic than Washington ever was.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 3rivers said:

@Steeler Hitman

Probably give it  an solid A

I'll take it.  I tried to put some realistic thought into this. 

I was hoping for top tier OT, but if the C is THAT good, then can't go wrong. for the last 4 years or so, we learned the hard way how important C is. For some reason Colbert forgot, glad he is gone.

I tried to be realistic in playing out some scenarios. I am in the same place with OT as Center.  I gambled that there were more OT's than Centers who would be available.  That is why I signed Donovan Smith as insurance.  He made $3 mill in salary and while getting a raise signing here, he will still be far less expensive than Chuks $13 mill cap hit and more importantly, more productive! 

I don't agree with some of the kept players, but overall an A seems close enough and considering the effort you put in, 

I put in hard work, but in Steelers Nation, we want results. The  only thing acceptable is SB trophies. I tried to set up this team to be far more than 10-7 and not be one and done.  You can't completely flip some things, but you can do enough to improve the style, raise realistic expectations, and get back to the true winning culture.

why not add to your soon to be HOF credentials hereB|.

Sounds good my friend, but I have no rings either. 😂🤣😁

Plus it's not easy or probable to replace too many players in one off season.

I think I pushed the envelope there somewhat already.  I tried to allow competition and at the same time bring in better players.

Mt.Washington - good name and he needs more passes, not just once in a while either. Smith will get Mt.Washington going

He can be incorporated into the offense more. I know he was a rookie, but no reason not to rely on your TE. Was unsettling seeing our opponents attacking our defense with TE's and our offense struggling and three and outs with inconsistent  play at the TE position.

Bring back Rell if they sign Sneed/Johnson. No responsibility for the safety to the outside, so Rell can stay in the box or shallow middle more often.  

Who is Rell? I am not including potential PS players, but I am going JP Jr., Sneed or Johnson, Sullivan,  Trice and Rush 5 CB's, at Safety: Minkah, Edmunds or Chinn, Rowe,  and Bullard, and Thompson 5 Safety.

Cutting Patrick Peterson, Levi Wallace, Elijah Riley, James Pierre, Damonte Kazee, Keanu Neal, and Miles Killebrew.

replace Adams with Linval or a legit anchor ;)

I didn't think the Steelers used Brendan Fehoko effectively.  Linval is good, but also 35 going on 36. I would rather get younger. Already will be doing the rotation (that you hate) with Cam and some of these guys. My thing is to get better and younger players.  I drafted two sleepers: one at NG in Myles Murphy and one at 5-tech/Cam's role in Lee. I am also signing Quinton Jefferson or Jonathan Bullard both are 30 and fit the DT/DE role replacing Ogujobi. I had one scenario signing both, but I would rather get younger and draft a guy. I also considered Raekwon Davis.

IIRC @43M was the one that brought up Ariza, 

Missed that and props to 43m. You have certainly endorsed the signing in several posts.

all while Harvin was well on his way to ranking 36 out of 32 punters once again. The standard for G.Chewer and Tomlins punting game

Percy has to go and I tried to support him. I was able to get a potential scat type RB instead of using a draft pick on the punting kids from BYU or Iowa. Originally I had myself selecting whichever of these two who were available.

Thanks for the feedback.

I seriously doubt we are that active in free agency.   They aren't going to cut Larry O just to make a lateral move for a player that may not fit as well.    Im not even a fan of Ogunjobi, but that move is highly unlikely.   

Also dont like us going safety that early.    Its possible I guess, and nothing against the player necessarily, but I think we have much bigger needs.  Also dont think Bullard has a very complimentary skillset to Minkah.   Bring back Edmunds and have him and Rowe fill that spot for a year or two.

• Like 1

I don’t think they’ll go 4 deep at ILB in terms of vets…if Holcomb is healthy then I think they’ll go mid round ILB with a June 1st type of cut vet in offseasom.

I do Agree that they’ll add a WR, just not sure it’ll be a vet AND a draft pick.

They can be active in free agency long as they push some $$$ into the 2nd year of deals as this is the last season of cap “issues”.

Im definitely trying to extend Daniels and I like the fact of different players were used.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 43M said:

I seriously doubt we are that active in free agency.   They aren't going to cut Larry O just to make a lateral move for a player that may not fit as well.    Im not even a fan of Ogunjobi, but that move is highly unlikely.   

Also dont like us going safety that early.    Its possible I guess, and nothing against the player necessarily, but I think we have much bigger needs.  Also dont think Bullard has a very complimentary skillset to Minkah.   Bring back Edmunds and have him and Rowe fill that spot for a year or two.

Pure fan response here…I liked last off season, but I’ll never get me hopes up for top tier talent in free agency. Corner position in particular is one I have hoped for way too may times. It nearly killed me during the Chad Scott years… 😉… I used to play that position so I am a bit biased towards it….meaning a little obsessed. Don’t get my hopes up for two number one level corners on this roster…ha.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, armsteeld said:

I didn't see that in the articles or discussions that I read. If wrong was done, then by no means am I advocating this. I just don't know enough details. I am not here to judge, adjust or compromise anyone's morale compass. I also don't want to see a young man deprived of a career and dreams because of a poor judgement/questionable judgement.  I would need to know more details, but from what I saw in making the decision, he was fine. We had this same issue with Big Ben and the circumstances were different, but many certainly slammed him as well. He grew up, got married, has a family, and seems to have changed. Same with Ray Lewis and Mike Vick.  WHen you get to that level, you can't take everyone with you.

I thought long and hard, but thus far the earliest that a Center has been drafted is #18 of the first round I may change after free agency because there are also two veterans that Seattle or Jacksonville may sign one or both. It's 1.0 and this is how it fell in this scenario.

I started seeing some good things on him. I didn't expect this pick at all, but based on how it fell, the value was too good. I was completely prepared to just go OT, but the value wasn't there and I predicted that Frazier and Van Pran were also gone, so happy I took JPP.

He's #54. Is said to be a versatile OT (depending on website/evaluator) plays RT. Not as heralded because of Joe Alt, but looks like a good candidate to eventually play RT. Would probably need to sit a year or could potentially be a swing as a rookie. Again, I signed a veteran so, no rush with him.

https://steelersdepot.com/2024/02/2024-nfl-draft-scouting-report-notre-dame-ot-blake-fisher/

Oh gosh no, I see him as a Deebo type. In the NFL, the question is always straight line speed, but this guy has moves, quickness. He is tough, and someone that I can see as slot and eventual replacement for DJ.  The guy is like Lev Bell as a WR, but even shiftier.

Just getting to know him, but I like his motor and I think building a winning team is not just about the superstars, but good guys.  I remember wanting the Steelers to draft TE George Kittle. I can give a lot of other examples. This is certainly not a science, but this is a guy who looks like he could be what the Steelers are lacking toughness and motor in the trenches to match Benton. Steelers need to hit on more day three prospects. He is a hustler at 300+ pounds.

Lee ^^^^.

If these guys are all studs, then.... Only 1000 will fit in the top 100.  You have to find gold in the dirt sometimes. Saw him last year looking at Van Ness and Campbell. Not a stud, but can this guy develop and become a good player? Too many Kendrick Greens and misses like Dotson who goes to LA and plays like he did as a rookie.  Team Captain and has a motor. I want some hustler's and guys with fire.

I saw him in a few college games.  His quickness and style intrigue me. We have not been able to hit on scat-backs. Failed with Dri Archer and Anthony McFarland. Hoping to hit a HR in the bottom of the 9th so to speak.

Thank you for reading and the input. I definitely appreciate the feedback and the thoughts. We need differences in opinions sometimes to move forward. I don't think I am an expert by any means, but I want to see the Steelers remade TOUGH! That includes blocking, tackling, and mentally.  I got a WR who looks like a medium tank and hits like an M1A1 Abrams. I want to get back to smash-mouth, punching in the mouth, tough Steelers football. I want phone booth maulers and guys who will knock you out or go down swinging. 

9 hours ago, 3rivers said:

I thought he was cleared eventually?  I wouldn't advocate for him if he was proven guilty of that. 

then off to the USFL and CFL for G.Chewer to find a new punter, Harvin has to be gone.

Addressed this above, but I echo the same sentiments. We certainly don't need anymore drama, but if he is cleared and okay, give him a shot.