2024 Hitman's Steeler Mock 1.0

This is one way to address our needs, for sure, but after looking closer to the OT prospects available, there's not much after Blake Fisher as far as RT prospects.  I had thought the pool was deeper, but really, for RTs, I'd say not so much, so I think it might be best to address the RT position NLT than R2.  I'd be fine with JPJ in the first, then followed up with someone like Tyler Guyton, if he lasts to our 2nd Rd pick, or maybe Graham Barton/Patrick Paul/Kiran Amegadjie, if 'we' are comfortable with them playing RT, rather than their more natural LT positions in college.  Alternatively, we could go Latham/Mims in the first, then either Frazier/Van Pran in the 2nd.

Anyway, thanks for introducing us/me to Malachi Corley-I love those thicker WR prospects, assuming his blocking is sound...

I'd also like to get a 'wide-body'-type at DT/NT, about where you have one going.  I can't say whether he'd be the best option there, or not, but like the position being addressed there.

Overall, I'm a fan of the draft, but I agree with 43M--no way we are that active in FA.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, 43M said:

I seriously doubt we are that active in free agency.   

Valid point. Some was what I predicted they would do and what I would do. I could have clearly distinguished, but I wanted to have background behind why I made the picks that I did.

They aren't going to cut Larry O just to make a lateral move for a player that may not fit as well.    I'm not even a fan of Ogunjobi, but that move is highly unlikely.   

Very fair assessment. Honestly, I wrestled with this one, but Ogunjobi's salary versus reward on the field is my issue. I initially liked the signing, but I saw a fall off in play. Chuks, Cole, Wallace, Ogunjobi, and Peterson.  I decided to cut bait with these guys. Juice is not worth the squeeze in my opinion. We gotta get tougher up front. The good thing is Larry O can play better and has.Because of the signings, I had to cut to create money.

The potential replacements are cheaper and may actually jump-start what is up front. Jefferson and Bullard are not DL studs, but can be good players for what is needed on the DL. I also drafted two young guys to develop.

Also don't like us going safety that early.    It's possible I guess, and nothing against the player necessarily, but I think we have much bigger needs.  Also, I don't think Bullard has a very complimentary skill-set to Minkah.   Bring back Edmunds and have him and Rowe fill that spot for a year or two.

My plan was to go OT, CB, or DL, but the value wasn't there based on the player rankings that I used. I honestly never considered this until I saw this I saw who was there. Having a good young safety to pair with Minkah on the back-end is appealing. Again, I signed Chinn or brought Edmunds back to take over the in the box role. I resign Rowe as well. Bullard allows some slot and additional coverage ability that has been lacking at that position.  I could have gone WR here as they are deep there.

48 minutes ago, AFF said:

I don’t think they’ll go 4 deep at ILB in terms of vets…if Holcomb is healthy then I think they’ll go mid round ILB with a June 1st type of cut vet in off season.

I would agree normally, but the position is said to be lean. I am sure there is a good coverage guy in the draft somewhere. I have not looked at a lot of candidates there.

I do Agree that they’ll add a WR, just not sure it’ll be a vet AND a draft pick.

I learned my lesson from last year. WR needs some attention. Arob will be a cap cut. Someone mentioned D. Mims as a possible vet resign. Maybe.  All they really have at receiver is DJ, Pickens, and Austin.  That's it. Boykin is a special teams guy.  They need some talent. Heaven forbid another injury. It was bad when DJ went down early. It honestly didn't get really good all year. I am not signing Tyler Boyd and investing that money, but getting a lower tier slot guy. I am drafting a rookie with potential. The Steelers have been good at this. Getting this guy Corley in the fourth round is great. You need some insurance there.

They can be active in free agency long as they push some $$$ into the 2nd year of deals as this is the last season of cap “issues”.

They can save with restructures, cuts, and post June cuts.  Getting rid of Peterson, Ogunjobi, Chuks, and Mason would help the team and free up $$$ alone before I even started restructuring. Already a detailed post, I didn't want to get into all of the cap stuff as well.

I'm definitely trying to extend Daniels and I like the fact of different players were used.

I agree.

45 minutes ago, rlon said:

Pure fan response here…I liked last off season, but I’ll never get me hopes up for top tier talent in free agency.

Fair enough. It hasn't been done, but we also have new leadership! I could see Omar and Andy doing some different things to get this team better.

Corner position in particular is one I have hoped for way too may times. It nearly killed me during the Chad Scott years… 😉

p3uc2.jpg

Problem of being competitive and not being at the top to get some of the better talent. I remember being at training camp when he picked off three passes and I think  ran one back for a TD. He didn't do that enough in games.  Missed out on Shaun Springs and Bryant Westbrook. 

I used to play that position so I am a bit biased towards it….meaning a little obsessed. Don’t get my hopes up for two number one level corners on this roster…ha.

Yeah I feel ya there. And Beyonce would've married me had I met her before Jay-Z.  Because I'm much more handsome. 😁

th?id=OIP.XY6J2cWL77JIjINKwIv2vgHaEK&pid

Oh ye of little faith!

hqdefault.jpg

1235988804.0.jpg

jaylon_johnson.jpeg?w=1912&h=1076

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Ward4HOF said:

This is one way to address our needs, for sure, but after looking closer to the OT prospects available, there's not much after Blake Fisher as far as RT prospects.  I had thought the pool was deeper, but really, for RTs, I'd say not so much, so I think it might be best to address the RT position NLT than R2. 

As I stated in a previous response, I had every intention of drafting an OT round two. I didn't care if he was RT or LT. I was looking at versatility. As I mocked/simulated the picks based on needs/ratings as best as I could. The OT's that I had targeted in that range were all gone. I drafted JPP over Oklahoma's Tyler Guyton,  Arizona OT Jordan Morgan, and BYU OT Kingsley Suamataia.  All of these players were gone when I rolled around to pick 51 in round two. I considered a CB, but who was left, I saw the best value on the big board that I used in Javon Bullard. In round three it came down to Fisher and these players. I also doubted that any of these would be there round four. I took Fisher over Jones in essence because ND typically puts out good OL's. 

Christian Jones Texas 6'5 315

Matt Gonglaves Pitt 6'6 325

Sataoa Laumea Utah 6'4 310

Nathan Thomas Louisiana 6'5 330

I'd be fine with JPJ in the first, then followed up with someone like Tyler Guyton, if he lasts to our 2nd Rd pick, or maybe Graham Barton/Patrick Paul/Kiran Amegadjie, if 'we' are comfortable with them playing RT, rather than their more natural LT positions in college.  Alternatively, we could go Latham/Mims in the first, then either Frazier/Van Pran in the 2nd.

All gone from the big board. It was a gamble. I decided to put more emphasis on center because there were not as many. I am glad I did because I would have missed all of the top prospects there as well. OT still had options. Again, someone like Fisher isn't necessarily a top  prospect, but can develop into a good pro. As I stated in my review on someone's thread Frazier and Van Pran didn't make it to 51.

Anyway, thanks for introducing us/me to Malachi Corley-I love those thicker WR prospects, assuming his blocking is sound...

I am certainly not the first to know about Corley. Heard of him from some draftniks and did some homework on him. Would be a good compliment to Pickens and I see him as an eventual DJ replacement. Physical, strong, bullying style. We need more toughness in Pittsburgh. I have been saying this for years. 

I'd also like to get a 'wide-body'-type at DT/NT, about where you have one going.  I can't say whether he'd be the best option there, or not, but like the position being addressed there.

This is just one mock. I am sure there will be risers and fallers and circumstances that may change my mind on priorities.  He kinda jumped out at the EW shrine. I started looking at him, listening  to comments and studying him a little. He seems like someone who is just under the radar and yet could be a contributor.  The Steelers need to start hitting on the day three picks and getting guys who contribute.

Overall, I'm a fan of the draft, but I agree with 43M--no way we are that active in FA.

I listed what I did to show how I would fix the team as a GM and tried to add a little of what the Steelers may do. The list was more to paint a picture of why I drafted these players, not as much what I am predicting the Steelers will do. I would probably have a better shot of hitting the Power Ball this week. 😁

5 minutes ago, DR43 said:

Would round 1 be too early for IOL?

Personally, no. I don't get caught up with it's too early for this position or that one.

I am an advocate for trying to trade back, but you have to have a perfect partner and almost assured that the other teams ahead of you won't take who you are trying to get the best value for. The Steelers fixed OG in free agency the past few off seasons. You now have an IOL (JPP) who looks like he can compete with Creed Humphrey and Tyler Linderbaum as a  top Center.  You take that player regardless of position and tradition. 

Center is set for 10-12 years. You drafted a franchise OT the previous year. Build an OL to protect your QB and improve your rushing attack. 

Regarding Ariza, he has claimed from the beginning that the girl told him she was 18. He was 22 at the time.

Not only were no legal charges filed against him, but he was also dropped from the civil lawsuit.  I believe he is now suing the woman for defamation.

Not sure the Steelers would bring him in, but they did bring in Michael Vick. So, who knows.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, cjfollett said:

Regarding Ariza, he has claimed from the beginning that the girl told him she was 18. He was 22 at the time.

Not only were no legal charges filed against him, but he was also dropped from the civil lawsuit.  I believe he is now suing the woman for defamation.

Not sure the Steelers would bring him in, but they did bring in Michael Vick. So, who knows.

they don't have harvin to talk them out of it now anyways.  

On 2/12/2024 at 3:59 PM, DR43 said:

Would round 1 be too early for IOL?

Depends on your situation IMO.

I would never draft an IOL in the top 15 unless it was a generational talent, which rarely happens at IOL.

I wouldnt take most OGs in the 1st round, again, unless it was a special talent.  David DeCastro was KIND OF considered a special talent at OG when we drafted him, and was a pretty big need...so I was happy with it.

Center is at a premium, and if youre picking in the late first round, you better take the one you want if there is a good center on the board, because even if those centers dont get taken in the first, teams will scoop them up in the early 2nd.

And obviously, it depends on other needs and who falls relative to other positions of need.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 43M said:

Depends on your situation IMO.

I would never draft an IOL in the top 15 unless it was a generational talent, which rarely happens at IOL.

I wouldnt take most OGs in the 1st round, again, unless it was a special talent.  David DeCastro was KIND OF considered a special talent at OG when we drafted him, and was a pretty big need...so I was happy with it.

Center is at a premium, and if youre picking in the late first round, you better take the one you want if there is a good center on the board, because even if those centers dont get taken in the first, teams will scoop them up in the early 2nd.

And obviously, it depends on other needs and who falls relative to other positions of need.

And Decastro was the 24th pick anyway, so not really even that high of a 1st. I won't pretend to know if JPJ is a generational type C or just the best C in this class, but 17 is kind of that grey area to me for IOL. I think I'd take him at 17. 

On 2/15/2024 at 2:11 PM, cjfollett said:

Some people consider even that wrong. Her being only 18 and not 21.

No criminal charges against him, but the court of public opinion has hurt him.   Yes, they both agreed to drop charges against each other and move forward without claiming anything against the other.

That was another controversial story. But, yes. I think this is different as people seem to be more forgiving of humans doing things to other people than someone allowing/knowing someone was doing something to animals.

@armsteeld and @cjfollett and @3rivers

I sent something to you to read, review, and I would love your opinion/input. It is nothing offensive or political. It is based on this discussion, but I am not sure that I could/should share on the entire site.  I would just love to get your thoughts and opinions to consider.

1 hour ago, Steeler Hitman said:

@armsteeld and @cjfollett and @3rivers

I sent something to you to read, review, and I would love your opinion/input. It is nothing offensive or political. It is based on this discussion, but I am not sure that I could/should share on the entire site.  I would just love to get your thoughts and opinions to consider.

sent you a PM.  

and I am  not harvin in disguise either  (or tomlin, or gum chewer etc)