NFL Draft Talk (Mainly Titans)

KingTitan

No matter what we do everyone is gonna freak out lol. I'm personally on the get weapons for Levis train. We need to know who he is this year.

But as long as we don't waste more than a couple picks on the side of the ball that nobody cares about, I'll be happy.

• Like 2

I define needs/holes differently.  
When I think of need, I think of we have nobody at the spot or we have an undrafted free agent as the only option.

We have positions that require upgrading.  
Example LB:  We have a functional starter. Someone that can do the job on a semi-consistent basis at an average to below average level. Can Gibbens go out there and play, yes. Do you want an upgrade? YES!

Same with Edge. Key is a more than capable person to have there. Can give you 4-5 sacks maybe, and some pressures. Would you like more from that position? yes.  Should you look to upgrade it, yes.

Something I think about and how I look at it. 

Do we need a safety?  Not entirely, but do we want to upgrade from Molden? yes.

We have bodies and guys with NFL starting experience at every area of "need."

So, I expect some surprises in how we draft and the order we select them. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I define needs/holes differently.  
When I think of need, I think of we have nobody at the spot or we have an undrafted free agent as the only option.

We have positions that require upgrading.  
Example LB:  We have a functional starter. Someone that can do the job on a semi-consistent basis at an average to below average level. Can Gibbens go out there and play, yes. Do you want an upgrade? YES!

Same with Edge. Key is a more than capable person to have there. Can give you 4-5 sacks maybe, and some pressures. Would you like more from that position? yes.  Should you look to upgrade it, yes.

Something I think about and how I look at it. 

Do we need a safety?  Not entirely, but do we want to upgrade from Molden? yes.

We have bodies and guys with NFL starting experience at every area of "need."

So, I expect some surprises in how we draft and the order we select them. 

I agree totally and I see a massive hole at tackle. I think WR could be a hole because we really need 3 good WRs now. Plus Hopkins is in his last year so I consider WR a hole for sure in 1 year. Maybe I just want a shiny toy though idk lol

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Justin615$ said:

I agree totally and I see a massive hole at tackle. I think WR could be a hole because we really need 3 good WRs now. Plus Hopkins is in his last year so I consider WR a hole for sure in 1 year. Maybe I just want a shiny toy though idk lol

I have no shame admitting I want a shiny toy. lol

If I was a GM, it would be add OL in FA and 2nd round-beyond. 
Add WR, CB, Edge, high performing DT's, QB's  in the 1st round. 
LB's, Safety OL, RB and non-elite producing DT's from 2nd round on. 

Lol

• Like 1

Yeah, as the league continues to evolve it's getting harder and harder to not consider WR the second most valuable position on a team next to QB. If there's an elite WR talent on the board when you pick it's damn near impossible to pass that up especially when you have a need there like we do. I keep going back to Cally's history in Cincinnati when I think about what we're ultimately going to do at the top. I think Nabers or Odunze is the pick. Callahan has seen first hand that his scheme can make it to a Super Bowl with average to below average OLine play (that line on their super bowl team was horrible) and elite QB and WR play. 

I wouldn't fault them for either way they go. There's a variety of different ways that we can build this team into a successful contender, and I don't think anybody is going to be scoffing at a WR pick over a tackle in 2-3 years if Nabers or Odunze is an all pro talent catching a ton of TDs for us. We need an OT no doubt about it, but I'm also not going to pretend that we can't potentially fill that need with the likes of Jordan Morgan, Kingsley Suamataia, Patrick Paul, etc....

My guess right now is that we're going to go WR in the first, draft a tackle in the second that we think we can develop, and sign Andrus Peat to start at LT in the meantime while we develop the young guy. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SerenityNow said:

Yeah, as the league continues to evolve it's getting harder and harder to not consider WR the second most valuable position on a team next to QB. If there's an elite WR talent on the board when you pick it's damn near impossible to pass that up especially when you have a need there like we do. I keep going back to Cally's history in Cincinnati when I think about what we're ultimately going to do at the top. I think Nabers or Odunze is the pick. Callahan has seen first hand that his scheme can make it to a Super Bowl with average to below average OLine play (that line on their super bowl team was horrible) and elite QB and WR play. 

I wouldn't fault them for either way they go. There's a variety of different ways that we can build this team into a successful contender, and I don't think anybody is going to be scoffing at a WR pick over a tackle in 2-3 years if Nabers or Odunze is an all pro talent catching a ton of TDs for us. We need an OT no doubt about it, but I'm also not going to pretend that we can't potentially fill that need with the likes of Jordan Morgan, Kingsley Suamataia, Patrick Paul, etc....

My guess right now is that we're going to go WR in the first, draft a tackle in the second that we think we can develop, and sign Andrus Peat to start at LT in the meantime while we develop the young guy. 

Alt appears to be the guy that would be able to set us straight immediately and not really worry.  I do think he has some flaws but nothing that can't be fixed. 

Some of the other first round projections I feel can also do the job but might stumble more than Alt. But eventually level out and then improve to potentially great heights. 

I just think there is more ways to fix this thing other than Alt. 

So it's a matter of do they want to take the road that has less bumps or one that could get bumpy but will be like the Autobahn when you get going   

I think it's unrealistic to feel Alt will be the only OT that turned out good/great. 

Like you I don't fault either way they go but I have a preference. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Alt appears to be the guy that would be able to set us straight immediately and not really worry.  I do think he has some flaws but nothing that can't be fixed. 

Some of the other first round projections I feel can also do the job but might stumble more than Alt. But eventually level out and then improve to potentially great heights. 

I just think there is more ways to fix this thing other than Alt. 

So it's a matter of do they want to take the road that has less bumps or one that could get bumpy but will be like the Autobahn when you get going   

I think it's unrealistic to feel Alt will be the only OT that turned out good/great. 

Like you I don't fault either way they go but I have a preference. 

Honestly, I change my mind on which way I want us to go every day lol. I see the pros and cons of both sides, but I do think we're in a very blessed position this year where our two biggest needs are the two biggest strengths of the draft class. That's a big reason why this year even more than any other it feels like there are multiple roads to success. We just have to make sure we draft the right guys at those spots.

I love Alt. I think he's going to be a stud LT and make whoever drafts him very happy on the left side for a decade plus. So, the idea of unquestionably in my mind fixing that left side is incredibly appealing. There are no sure things in the draft ever I get that, but the peace of mind I'd have knowing we just fixed our biggest need with the consensus top LT in the draft would be outstanding. Not to mention thinking about what he could do with Skoronski right next to him for a decade. Would absolutely love it. 

On the flip side, if we go for the WR there is a legitimate risk there waiting on tackle. Like I said nothing is ever a sure thing, but the amount of risk we'd be opening ourselves up to by waiting on a tackle is a real thing, and I don't think LT is a spot we can afford to miss on again especially with a young QB at the helm.

I love Nabers, I love Odunze. I'd be ecstatic to add either one of them. I think they're going to be studs as well, but I'd have a little bit more nervous energy just because figuring out that LT spot looms so large in our overall success, and we've seen how bad things can get when you don't have an answer there. So, I just hope if they wait on tackle that they have a lot of conviction about the guy that they're waiting for. 

• Like 2

@KingTitan you mind asking the guy if he heard if the titans have any interest in Dallas Turner. Some just hit me; this could be landry last yr as a titan. His cap # is through the roof & not nearly worth the production. I wonder if the titans feel the same.

• Like 1

Yeah, I still think the need for a tackle who is a Day 1 starter is still pretty obviously the biggest need.

The most important thing a franchise can have is a QB. We might have one, and finding out if we do or don’t is by a wide margin the most important thing for this team to figure out.

Making sure he’s not constantly injured and has time to throw will go a long way toward that. It’s especially important for Levis specifically because his decision-making gets infinitely worse when he’s under a lot of pressure and he’s pretty bad at feeling pocket pressure.

Having a better pass rush, while good for the defense, does nothing for the QB issue, and likely doesn’t move the needle long term on the franchise like having a QB does.

Yall make this more complicated than it really is.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SerenityNow said:

Honestly, I change my mind on which way I want us to go every day lol. I see the pros and cons of both sides, but I do think we're in a very blessed position this year where our two biggest needs are the two biggest strengths of the draft class. That's a big reason why this year even more than any other it feels like there are multiple roads to success. We just have to make sure we draft the right guys at those spots.

I love Alt. I think he's going to be a stud LT and make whoever drafts him very happy on the left side for a decade plus. So, the idea of unquestionably in my mind fixing that left side is incredibly appealing. There are no sure things in the draft ever I get that, but the peace of mind I'd have knowing we just fixed our biggest need with the consensus top LT in the draft would be outstanding. Not to mention thinking about what he could do with Skoronski right next to him for a decade. Would absolutely love it. 

On the flip side, if we go for the WR there is a legitimate risk there waiting on tackle. Like I said nothing is ever a sure thing, but the amount of risk we'd be opening ourselves up to by waiting on a tackle is a real thing, and I don't think LT is a spot we can afford to miss on again especially with a young QB at the helm.

I love Nabers, I love Odunze. I'd be ecstatic to add either one of them. I think they're going to be studs as well, but I'd have a little bit more nervous energy just because figuring out that LT spot looms so large in our overall success, and we've seen how bad things can get when you don't have an answer there. So, I just hope if they wait on tackle that they have a lot of conviction about the guy that they're waiting for. 

I think it just comes down to what Callahan OG thinks. He is the most important in this draft this year. 
His opinion will shape what direction they go. Carthan was so impressed with his views on OL and the profile tapes.  "Teaching them things." 

I'll trust him whatever he decides.  If Alt is there and he thinks he will be the best thing for us, I'm all in. 
If he says I got my eye on Player X from College USA and we can definitely get him at the bottom of the 2nd to go along with a competition of guys we have on roster... I'll tilt my head and be like are you sure? lol  
But I'll trust it. 

I think you bring OG Callahan on board for his expertise and ability to form a good group. Whether it be working different schemes or elevating their talent.  He has found a way, which is very encouraging. I don't think he has ever not had a good offensive line.  Never anything like we saw last year. 

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Yeah, I still think the need for a tackle who is a Day 1 starter is still pretty obviously the biggest need.

The most important thing a franchise can have is a QB. We might have one, and finding out if we do or don’t is by a wide margin the most important thing for this team to figure out.

Making sure he’s not constantly injured and has time to throw will go a long way toward that. It’s especially important for Levis specifically because his decision-making gets infinitely worse when he’s under a lot of pressure and he’s pretty bad at feeling pocket pressure.

Having a better pass rush, while good for the defense, does nothing for the QB issue, and likely doesn’t move the needle long term on the franchise like having a QB does.

Yall make this more complicated than it really is.

Okay mr make it more complicated than it really is, having a pass rush helps the QB tremendously because if you can’t sack or a apply pressure to the opposing QB, it makes it easier for them to put points on the board, the more points on the board the more you put on your QB to have to perform at a high level to out score the opposing team. It goes hand & hand. & rather you notice or not we have no depth at pass rush asides from Simmons & Landry. 

5 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

Okay mr make it more complicated than it really is, having a pass rush helps the QB tremendously because if you can’t sack or a apply pressure to the opposing QB, it makes it easier for them to put points on the board, the more points on the board the more you put on your QB to have to perform at a high level to out score the opposing team. It goes hand & hand. & rather you notice or not we have no depth at pass rush asides from Simmons & Landry. 

I'll make it simpler for you, then.  Having a great pass rush, and winning a game 6-3 doesn't actually make Levis life easier.  It buys him more room for error, and those are two different things.  Making things easier for him means making it easier for him to do his job as a QB: having protection so he stays healthy, having good receivers who can get open and catch the ball, having a good running game that can be relied on to get short yardage or to float an offense when things aren't working.

Those are things that will allow Levis to thrive, and if he's capable of developing, develop.

Running for his life every third down while Edges bare on top of him doesn't develop him further.  Even in the best scenario where we take an Edge at 7, and he does have a huge impact so that we win games, it's then because we're preventing the other team from scoring, and likely leaning on a run game, and no, handing the ball off to Spears and Pollard will not develop Levis further.

And even if none of that was true, the Edge rusher yall are talking about taking is Dallas Turner, who is a fairly raw pass rusher who needs to be developed, and likely won't contribute a ton this year.  So even if none of the previous stuff mattered, it's still not something that has as big an impact.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I'll make it simpler for you, then.  Having a great pass rush, and winning a game 6-3 doesn't actually make Levis life easier.  It buys him more room for error, and those are two different things.  Making things easier for him means making it easier for him to do his job as a QB: having protection so he stays healthy, having good receivers who can get open and catch the ball, having a good running game that can be relied on to get short yardage or to float an offense when things aren't working.

Those are things that will allow Levis to thrive, and if he's capable of developing, develop.

Running for his life every third down while Edges bare on top of him doesn't develop him further.  Even in the best scenario where we take an Edge at 7, and he does have a huge impact so that we win games, it's then because we're preventing the other team from scoring, and likely leaning on a run game, and no, handing the ball off to Spears and Pollard will not develop Levis further.

And even if none of that was true, the Edge rusher yall are talking about taking is Dallas Turner, who is a fairly raw pass rusher who needs to be developed, and likely won't contribute a ton this year.  So even if none of the previous stuff mattered, it's still not something that has as big an impact.

He’s not that raw of a pass rusher go watch the film they said the same thing about Will Anderson last yr. The reason Bama edge Rushers don’t produce a ton of sacks is because of their system, their Rushers are told to engage with the Tackle play the run 1st & react, meaning feel if it’s run or pass before rushing, the same defense Belichick ran in NE & why he didn’t have a dominant pass rusher. 

8 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

He’s not that raw of a pass rusher go watch the film they said the same thing about Will Anderson last yr. The reason Bama edge Rushers don’t produce a ton of sacks is because of their system, their Rushers are told to engage with the Tackle play the run 1st & react, meaning feel if it’s run or pass before rushing, the same defense Belichick ran in NE & why he didn’t have a dominant pass rusher. 

lmao no they didn't, will anderson was viewed near-universally as about as pro-ready as it gets for an edge. 

• Like 1