2024 49ers offseason

49erurtaza

Apparently Aiyuk thinks he's at St Brown's level. I can see his argument statistically.  But also, on the field he's just not as dynamic.  I would not give him $30 mil a year. 

32 minutes ago, WhyAmIHere said:

Apparently Aiyuk thinks he's at St Brown's level. I can see his argument statistically.  But also, on the field he's just not as dynamic.  I would not give him $30 mil a year. 

I think he’s every bit as good as St. Brown. I have a hard time paying him 30+ as well though. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GW21 said:

I think he’s every bit as good as St. Brown. I have a hard time paying him 30+ as well though. 

the good news is the 49ers did a great job of protecting themselves at the WR position this offseason. I'm not worried. 

Posted (edited)

A lot of people are talking about how this is the "last dance" for this core.  To me that's not really the case.  To me the LONG TERM core of this team is: Kyle/Brock/Bosa..and probably Aiyuk.  IMO those guys will be together at least another 5 years.  I'd like Kittle to retire a Niner if possible. 

Kyle, Bosa, Brock are by far the most important pieces though, that they can't afford to lose. 

It's obviously likely the end of the "Deebo" type Niners though, with all the swagger, boomboxing, and social media back/forth that comes along with it.  Deebo is a charismatic dude and it's no surprise that his identity pervaded the locker room, for better or worse.  Personally, it was not my cup of tea but I understand why people love that type of swagger.  

Edited by WhyAmIHere
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, WhyAmIHere said:

A lot of people are talking about how this is the "last dance" for this core.  To me that's not really the case.  To me the LONG TERM core of this team is: Kyle/Brock/Bosa..and probably Aiyuk.  IMO those guys will be together at least another 5 years.  I'd like Kittle to retire a Niner if possible. 

Kyle, Bosa, Brock are by far the most important pieces though, that they can't afford to lose. 

It's obviously likely the end of the "Deebo" type Niners though, with all the swagger, boomboxing, and social media back/forth that comes along with it.  Deebo is a charismatic dude and it's no surprise that his identity pervaded the locker room, for better or worse.  Personally, it was not my cup of tea but I understand why people love that type of swagger.  

But it is the last dance of THIS core. The team is going to be totally different in 2025 and going forward. It does not mean this is our last year of competing with Purdy/Shanny. It is just that it will happen with a retooled core.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

But it is the last dance of THIS core. The team is going to be totally different in 2025 and going forward. It does not mean this is our last year of competing with Purdy/Shanny. It is just that it will happen with a retooled core.

I really think it'll just be Deebo and Juice who is gone....so technically yes, it will be different.  Trent will stay, George will, Fred will.  CMC will. 

31 minutes ago, WhyAmIHere said:

I really think it'll just be Deebo and Juice who is gone....so technically yes, it will be different.  Trent will stay, George will, Fred will.  CMC will. 

I'd expect Greenlaw to be gone. Ward probably gone. Hufanga probably gone. 

Next year I expect around 7 new starters. CB, S, LB, Base LB3, WR, Slot receiver, LG, RG, DT all possibly will have change over. 

Puni could take one of the guard positions this year to quicken the process, but I suspect Feliciano and banks to open the season as starters. 

Greenlaw will probably miss time this year which will give one of the youngsters at least some starting work as a third linebacker. Some may have soft markets and come back at discounts on a one year deal.

But that's also before considering some guys just sucking and their position needing to be added to. This could include guys like mckivitz at RT or brown at S. YGM as a base DE. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhyAmIHere said:

I mean if Trent stays, it will be only for 2025. I think next year is it for him and he hangs it up. 

So we will potentially be without Deebo, Trent, Juice, Ward, Hufanga, Greenlaw and maybe Kittle. I think the latter gets extended but this team will look very different with different core members. Some will stay on obviously but it's going to be different. As it is with all teams. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean if Trent stays, it will be only for 2025. I think next year is it for him and he hangs it up. 

So we will potentially be without Deebo, Trent, Juice, Ward, Hufanga, Greenlaw and maybe Kittle. I think the latter gets extended but this team will look very different with different core members. Some will stay on obviously but it's going to be different. As it is with all teams. 

I'm holding out some hope on Trent.  He said his goal is to play until 40 and he's signed through 2026.  

Greenlaw is a huge question. Who knows how big his market will be off an achilles...maybe he comes back for cheap? who knows.  He's definitely a huge part of the OG core though. 

• Like 1

On 5/16/2024 at 12:57 PM, N4L said:

Ward is gone for sure. I do not think Nick Sorenson is a huge fan of his. Maybe that changes, but as of now, unlikely we pay him what it will take. 

We will get a 3rd round comp pick for him. Hard to feel too bad about it.

"Hopefully I'll get that bag next year" 

He knows he's gone lol 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, N4L said:

"Hopefully I'll get that bag next year" 

He knows he's gone lol 

He is likely gone for reasons I listed yesterday but I see no evidence that Sorenson would not like him. There is nothing to dislike about Ward lol. He is competitive, a good tackler and one of the best press corners in the league. Good man in the locker room as well. Just a good all around person and player. Why would Sorenson not like him? 

Edited by J-ALL-DAY

1 hour ago, adamq said:

If he has another all pro year, would it be worth it to tag and trade him like KC did with Sneed?

If you can, then sure. But I'm not sure how much a team wants to trade for a 29 year older corner needing a new deal with all new money on the higher side of the market. Signing him for no assets but money is a different thing. 

Also, carrying the tag on our cap could be tricky next year. If you can afford the tag on Ward, I think I'd just tag him for the year and keep him around one more year, tbh. If you tag and trade, I'm not sure you're getting a day 2 pick. Given that I think next year will be a pretty tame free agency next year, I think there's a good chance you're getting a comparable compensatory pick for him anyway. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I don't want to derail this thread but I find it odd that there is a certain subsection of our fanbase that literally hates Kyle, loathes him to hell, and wants him gone immediately.  I wonder if there are Packer fans who feel the same way about Lafleur, for instance.  Lafleur has had the benefit of some amazing QB play over the years, but he's never sniffed the SB, and he's been eliminated by Kyle multiple times.  Kyle has had an actual good QB for 2 years..while consistently keeping the team in contention despite some real inadequacy at the position (something that is incredibly hard for anyone in the modern NFL).  

Sometimes I just wonder what it is about Kyle that some people hate so much.  I don't really see it - seems like a pretty chill dude who grew up within the 49ers golden years and wanted to add to that legacy.  Of course, time is running out for him, and the odds are now against him winning a SB....but I don't understand hating the guy or wanting him fired.  We were in hell before he took over, and the roster is built around his system/scheme..specifically Brock. Making Brock learn a new system/scheme during his critical formative years seems absolutely incompetent.  Does Shanny come across as arrogant or scummy to people? not to me at all...I think he's a bit antisocial, nerdy, maybe a bit of an autist, he doesn't mince words. 

I wouldn't have posted this if I didn't see this sentiment nearly every time there is 49er content posted online....though it's not the majority sentiment for sure, it's a very LOUD subsection.   Granted, I don't really know any 49er fans in real life who feel this way either; most are pretty thankful we get to watch perennial contenders. 

Edited by WhyAmIHere
  • Like 1