2024 Offseason Tracker

General Tso

22 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

So far I like what BH/DC and staff have done this off season. I’m not sure about the trade but perhaps they have other irons in the fire to help the secondary. The safety group still needs improvement.

To me the trade is decent if he is extended. If not I don't like the trade 

50 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

So far I like what BH/DC and staff have done this off season. I’m not sure about the trade but perhaps they have other irons in the fire to help the secondary. The safety group still needs improvement.

The have done a nice job at adding quality depth pieces in Amik Robertson and Marcus Davenport.  DJ Reader is a huge upgrade over Benito Jones.  He should make life a lot easier for Aidan Hutchinson, Alim McNeill and our LBs.  Carlton Davis is a bit of a wild-card due to his recent injury history but if the Lions can keep him reasonably healthy, he is a significant upgrade as well.  

I agree with you on the need for improvement at the safety position.  Ifeatu Melifnwu showed out once he got on the field but you have to be a little cautious with his injury history.  Kerby Joseph didn't take the step forward that a lot of folks (myself included) were expecting.  They need a consistent player to pair with Iffy.

Honestly, the most important additions to the defense might be the changes that were made to the coaching staff.  The D-Line play was head-scratching for extended periods of the season.  Terrell Williams should get a lot more disruption from that group and help them get more frequent conversions in the pass-rush.  

In the three years that we had Brian Duker as Safeties/DB coach communication issues have plagued the defense.  I suspect Deshea Townsend has a solid track record and should generate improvement in that area also.

Edited by Just Want A Title

1 hour ago, Just Want A Title said:

Honestly, the most important additions to the defense might be the changes that were made to the coaching staff.  The D-Line play was head-scratching for extended periods of the season.  Terrell Williams should get a lot more disruption from that group and help them get more frequent conversions in the pass-rush.  

In the three years that we had Brian Duker as Safeties/DB coach communication issues have plagued the defense.  I suspect Deshea Townsend has a solid track record and should generate improvement in that area also.

I really hope you’re right about Williams. With Reader and Davenport I hope he can make this line special.

13 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

I really hope you’re right about Williams. With Reader and Davenport I hope he can make this line special.

This may sound harsh but it isn't going to take a big overhaul to see significant improvement.  Aidan Hutchinson is a top-10 edge defender.  Alim McNeill is a top 10 DT.  DJ Reader was having a border-line pro bowl season prior to his quad injury.  

The biggest improvement will come from learning how to shed blocks and locate the ball.  Games 3 and 4 were awesome.  Outside of that, there were stretches where the D-Line was painful to watch.  The entire group seemed to be coached to play like 3-4 NTs and just tie up their blockers for LBs.  Beyond that, there were regular occurrences of Alim McNeill driving his blocker 1-2-yards past the QB without even getting an arm on the QB or watching Hutch play out-of-control and run himself too far upfield.  It was mind-boggling to watch at times.  That being said, they did show noticeable improvement over the last 6-8 games.  

If you compare that to the D-Line performances in Tennessee, there is reason to believe that the D-Line should level-up in 2024.

6 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

Not extending him makes the trade a fail for me at this point: 

They probably want to see how he does before extending him. They know what they're getting in him and he's a locked in starter, neither of those things are true with a 3rd round pick. 

• Like 1

Just now, Karnage84 said:

They probably want to see how he does before extending him. They know what they're getting in him and he's a locked in starter, neither of those things are true with a 3rd round pick. 

That's why I said at this point.'if they extend him it change. But to this point it's a horrible trade for a CB around a 60 

10 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

That's why I said at this point.'if they extend him it change. But to this point it's a horrible trade for a CB around a 60 

I'm someone that is in favour of PFF grading but they must see something in him that isn't properly reflected in that grade. 

Maybe the things that are contributing to the 60 grade are also of concern and therefore they're not ready to extend him without getting more information on him. 

Either way, they didn't believe he was worth a $14M cap hit (and I think we all would agree with that).

Edited by Karnage84

6 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I'm someone that is in favour of PFF grading but they must see something in him that isn't properly reflected in that grade. 

Maybe the things that are contributing to the 60 grade are also of concern and therefore they're not ready to extend him without getting more information on him. 

It’s because Tampa had him playing in zone all season when he’s a man corner. If you look at his numbers in man defense they are very good. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

It’s because Tampa had him playing in zone all season when he’s a man corner. If you look at his numbers in man defense they are very good. 

But not good enough for Detroit to restructure him At this time to extension. An extension the player wanted. 

27 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

But not good enough for Detroit to restructure him At this time to extension. An extension the player wanted. 

Wasn’t Davis quoted that he wanted to get a feel for the organization before extending ? 

• Like 2